Paul Jeffrey

Premium
We talk to Niels Heusinkveld and try out the soon to be released Heusinkveld Sim Pedals Sprint.

Catching up with Niels Heusinkveld at the recent very busy Sim Racing Expo over in Germany, we took the opportunity to quiz the man behind Heusinkveld Engineering about his newly announced Sim Pedals Sprint set of high end sim racing pedals. With Niels in a buoyant mood following what appeared to be a largely very positive reception to the new hardware, we took the opportunity to question him about the features and improvements of the new gear, learning plenty about how some dramatic software features and production improvements have moved the product range on from the already very impressive offerings of HE Engineering.

Not content with merely taking Niels at his word, we also couldn't quite resist the chance to get strapped into the cockpit and have a go ourselves, recording a short but sweet talk and drive segment as we give our first impressions based on the limited time we had with these brand new set of pedals.

Frankly, I was very impressed, although it is exceptionally hard to gather any serious kind of feel with something like a high end set of pedals with such a short period of time behind the wheel... not helped any by a crowd of people watching on, and a camera and microphone in my face!

However, with that said I'm going to be lucky enough to take receipt of a review set of these pedals in the very near future, so please consider this more of a taster video, with a much more in depth and detailed look at the HE Sim Pedals Sprint set to appear on our various social media channels in the near future. So stay tuned, get subscribed and watch out for some new footage in the (hopefully) coming weeks...

Heusinkveld Sim Pedals Sprint Talk n Drive.jpg

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
Sim-Lab replaced the two 40x40 pieces on the P1 with a single 40x160 on the P1-X.
That should take care of any flex :)
P1Xpedaldeck.jpg

Similarly I decided to replace my two 40x40 pieces with a single 40x120 piece on my P1 pedal deck.

Upvote 0
Let me update this just a bit.
First it works really well in practice and now I have a place to put my left foot :)
This is VERY comfortable and no I have yet to have any issues bumping the transducers. My left foot rotates naturally sideways to rest on the pedal. I have moved the pedals around a bit to allow for better heel/toe action.

However... The pivot isn't quite strong enough to hold fast if you get exuberant and press it hard , so I have a strip of UHMW tape on the bottom of the dead pedal and the back edge of the foot/transducer place gives it additional reinforcement. I may revisit this issue with something completely rigid.

LOL! And the killer that surprised me... I could still see a tiny bit of flex on the 40x120, but it is better than with the two pieces of 40x40 with the reinforcing plate.

deadpedal_4188.jpg

Upvote 0
Got my sprints in the other week and finally set them up today, but my throttle is making a clicking sound when going past a certain point early on in its travel. Any ideas what this could be? Guessing it's not normal. Will get a video tomorrow if needed! Have not tried them yet, just bolted down.

Upvote 0
Got my sprints in the other week and finally set them up today, but my throttle is making a clicking sound when going past a certain point early on in its travel. Any ideas what this could be? Guessing it's not normal. Will get a video tomorrow if needed! Have not tried them yet, just bolted down.

Yeah my throttle still has a sort of small ping like sound at around 80% travel distance, don’t know what’s causing it.

Upvote 0
Could you guys try turning the spring a couple of degrees?

Hi Enzo, thanks for the reply.

Just got home and turned the spring a couple of degrees as suggested and the ping sound still remains. Tried all angles of spring and the problem still persists.

I did notice that the spring on the throttle can be moved up and down, and it doesn't look like there is anything holding the spring assembly in place at the back of the unit like the on the clutch. Photo attached.

Is this normal? Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_20190729_181637.jpg
    IMG_20190729_181637.jpg
    439.2 KB · Views: 521
Upvote 0
Hi Enzo, thanks for the reply.

Just got home and turned the spring a couple of degrees as suggested and the ping sound still remains. Tried all angles of spring and the problem still persists.

I did notice that the spring on the throttle can be moved up and down, and it doesn't look like there is anything holding the spring assembly in place at the back of the unit like the on the clutch. Photo attached.

Is this normal? Thank you.

That doesn't look quite right. You have the white nylon bushing but it should be poking through that hole a touch more and be closer towards you if that makes any sense.

I'll go snap a few pics of my accelerator and post them here. Give us a sec :)

20190729_213243.jpg

20190729_213316.jpg

Sorry for the poor quality. Pics had to be done via torchlight

Upvote 0
That doesn't look quite right. You have the white nylon bushing but it should be poking through that hole a touch more and be closer towards you if that makes any sense.

I'll go snap a few pics of my accelerator and post them here. Give us a sec :)

View attachment 317587

View attachment 317588

Sorry for the poor quality. Pics had to be done via torchlight

Thanks Paul that's very helpful. Seems like mine isn't quite right. Have checked the box to see if anything has come off during shipping but nothing in there.

Hopefully Enzo can advise!

Upvote 0
Thanks Paul that's very helpful. Seems like mine isn't quite right. Have checked the box to see if anything has come off during shipping but nothing in there.

Hopefully Enzo can advise!

No problem mate :)

I looks like you have the bushing there, it's just not pressed fully into its seat.

If you can release the preload and tension from the spring, you might be able to pull the spring towards you (away from the bushing) and have enough space to use your fingers to push that bush fully home.

Upvote 0
No problem mate :)

I looks like you have the bushing there, it's just not pressed fully into its seat.

If you can release the preload and tension from the spring, you might be able to pull the spring towards you (away from the bushing) and have enough space to use your fingers to push that bush fully home.

Will give that a try tomorrow night and report back, hopefully its an easy fix.

Thanks for your help mate! :)

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 611728

Is it normal to have some noise when hitting the brake,when the coil spring gets compressed? I tried changing preload from max to min, but I don't feel any difference.

Upvote 0
Rotating the spring does nothing at all for the ping I hear, did that just after getting the pedals and again yesterday a number of times, no change in frequency or sound.
I received my Sprint pedals on Tuesday. Same ping sound (and small click feeling) as others have described.

It's actually from the small spring just in front of the throttle stop. See my excellent recreation drawing below:

CdvOAEJ.png

I nudged the spring into a new position and the sound has gone away, for now. Will report if it fixed it for good.

Upvote 0
I received my Sprint pedals on Tuesday. Same ping sound (and small click feeling) as others have described.

It's actually from the small spring just in front of the throttle stop. See my excellent recreation drawing below:

CdvOAEJ.png

I nudged the spring into a new position and the sound has gone away, for now. Will report if it fixed it for good.

Hey Adam, thanks for the reply, yeah I’ve always felt the sound was coming from the front of the pedal rather than the back though hard to pinpoint in a small space. I’ll give that a shot, thanks again.

Upvote 0
Finally got a chance to have a go at putting the bushing back where it should be and happy to say it went in fine after I took the preload off. Relieved!

Also I adjusted the pedal force curve as mentioned in the manual and also increased the preload and the ping sound went away immediately. Maybe I moved the small spring mentioned above in the process...;)

Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea