Paul Jeffrey

Premium
We talk to Niels Heusinkveld and try out the soon to be released Heusinkveld Sim Pedals Sprint.

Catching up with Niels Heusinkveld at the recent very busy Sim Racing Expo over in Germany, we took the opportunity to quiz the man behind Heusinkveld Engineering about his newly announced Sim Pedals Sprint set of high end sim racing pedals. With Niels in a buoyant mood following what appeared to be a largely very positive reception to the new hardware, we took the opportunity to question him about the features and improvements of the new gear, learning plenty about how some dramatic software features and production improvements have moved the product range on from the already very impressive offerings of HE Engineering.

Not content with merely taking Niels at his word, we also couldn't quite resist the chance to get strapped into the cockpit and have a go ourselves, recording a short but sweet talk and drive segment as we give our first impressions based on the limited time we had with these brand new set of pedals.

Frankly, I was very impressed, although it is exceptionally hard to gather any serious kind of feel with something like a high end set of pedals with such a short period of time behind the wheel... not helped any by a crowd of people watching on, and a camera and microphone in my face!

However, with that said I'm going to be lucky enough to take receipt of a review set of these pedals in the very near future, so please consider this more of a taster video, with a much more in depth and detailed look at the HE Sim Pedals Sprint set to appear on our various social media channels in the near future. So stay tuned, get subscribed and watch out for some new footage in the (hopefully) coming weeks...

Heusinkveld Sim Pedals Sprint Talk n Drive.jpg

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
@Enzo Fazzi I've had my ultimates for almost 6 months now. Should I be doing any maint. on them?
Not really, unless you're feeling more resistance (than before) somewhere or hear a little squeeky noise. We recommend using PTFE Dry spray or olive oil on the pivot points. Do not use petroleum based lubricants as these will destroy the rubbers.

Upvote 0
Now I'm really confused :O_o:

@White Hawk showed his pedal making a noise at full travel whilst others commented that their pedal did not do the same thing.

Is that because the pedal was supplied out of the box with some kind of incorrect adjustment that was figured out and fixed?

I feel like I've somehow missed the point :thumbsdown:

Inside of pedal slipping on end stop material when full pressure applied with longer travel setting so the pedal arm doesn’t hit it as face on as with shorter travel setting, impressions in end stop material along with that caused it to slip and make the noise. I think this is what happened.

I rotated the end stop so the pedal arm hits a fresh side without impressions in the material and that’s stopped the tick for now.

Upvote 0
Now I'm really confused :O_o:

@White Hawk showed his pedal making a noise at full travel whilst others commented that their pedal did not do the same thing.

Is that because the pedal was supplied out of the box with some kind of incorrect adjustment that was figured out and fixed?

I feel like I've somehow missed the point :thumbsdown:
He flipped over the endstop, I suspect there may have been something not quite up to spec with it.

@White Hawk send an email to support@heusinkveld.com if you want a replacement (also for the pedal face nuts and bolts)

Upvote 0
He flipped over the endstop, I suspect there may have been something not quite up to spec with it.

@White Hawk send an email to support@heusinkveld.com if you want a replacement (also for the pedal face nuts and bolts)

There might be something weird with the end stop yes. I emailed about the pedal bolts yesterday, mentioned you said, I didn’t mention the end stop however, did think about it but didn’t want to assume, would that also be free?

Haven’t got a reply yet, should I email again about the end stop?

Also with the brake, you know there are two bigger nuts, one against the preload, and then one above that against the block that attaches between the pedal arm, that one was completely loose out of the box, is that supposed to be tightened up against the block?

Upvote 0
There might be something weird with the end stop yes. I emailed about the pedal bolts yesterday, mentioned you said, I didn’t mention the end stop however, did think about it but didn’t want to assume, would that also be free?

Also with the brake, you know there are two bigger nuts, one against the preload, and then one above that against the block that attaches between the pedal arm, that one was completely loose out of the box, is that supposed to be tightened up against the block?
Nah, I'll be at work tomorrow and will just include the endstop with the shipment.
The nut on the brake is fine when handtightened.

Upvote 0
Nah, I'll be at work tomorrow and will just include the endstop with the shipment.
The nut on the brake is fine when handtightened.

Well I’ve emailed now :D, if you need me to confirm the name and address in PM just let me know. Thanks again Enzo, and as I said before, appreciate the support, don’t get that too often. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Part of the higher cost of Heusinkveld gear and other high end equipment is much better customer service than you’d get with your standard consumer brands and Heusinkveld are right up there with the best on that front!

Upvote 0
Well it’s gone a bit quiet in here, guess most are doing what I am and racing. :)

So, had some days with the pedals now, and of course the main thing to talk about is the brake pedal. It’s smoother and simply better feeling than the V3 by a fair margin. I’ve mostly been driving the new Skip Barber mod for Assetto Corsa and as you know if you have driven that car it’s quite easy to lock the brakes, after some learning of the car I’m definitely finding with the load cell set to 65KG I’ve got more control and am able to reduce the amount of locking up I do and I know with time that will reduce even further.

It’s surprising how quickly you get used to pushing 65KG so I’m not changing that, I may however go one level up in the stiffness by replacing the XL rubber with the L one as the manual says that’s more like a rally car and GT car feel which is something I’m interested in.

Upvote 0
Well it’s gone a bit quiet in here, guess most are doing what I am and racing. :)

So, had some days with the pedals now, and of course the main thing to talk about is the brake pedal. It’s smoother and simply better feeling than the V3 by a fair margin. I’ve mostly been driving the new Skip Barber mod for Assetto Corsa and as you know if you have driven that car it’s quite easy to lock the brakes, after some learning of the car I’m definitely finding with the load cell set to 65KG I’ve got more control and am able to reduce the amount of locking up I do and I know with time that will reduce even further.

It’s surprising how quickly you get used to pushing 65KG so I’m not changing that, I may however go one level up in the stiffness by replacing the XL rubber with the L one as the manual says that’s more like a rally car and GT car feel which is something I’m interested in.
One thing you could always change, is the brake curve. This is to give yourself even more pedal before locking up. For example, in the iRacing GTE cars (they also lock up easily) I changed the curve to quite an extreme point, where 100% input is only 75% output.

Upvote 0
One thing you could always change, is the brake curve. This is to give yourself even more pedal before locking up. For example, in the iRacing GTE cars (they also lock up easily) I changed the curve to quite an extreme point, where 100% input is only 75% output.

Certainly, was going to fiddle with that and see how that worked out, haven’t just yet.

UPS were going to deliver the replacement parts you sent today, but they couldn’t be bothered so hopefully tomorrow now. :rolleyes: Can you tell me would the package fit through a letter box do you think?

Upvote 0
@Enzo Fazzi Whilst we're talking replacement parts Enzo, I found one of the tiny screws in the footplate rounded as I was tightening the deck to the pillars which attach to the rig below. There are four and the heads are countersunk into the heelplate. Any chance I could get some replacements? I've never gone back to try and re-tighten them for fear of doing more damage...

Upvote 0
@Enzo Fazzi Whilst we're talking replacement parts Enzo, I found one of the tiny screws in the footplate rounded as I was tightening the deck to the pillars which attach to the rig below. There are four and the heads are countersunk into the heelplate. Any chance I could get some replacements? I've never gone back to try and re-tighten them for fear of doing more damage...
Yep, send an email to support@heusinkveld.com

Upvote 0

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 413 69.2%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 261 43.7%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 282 47.2%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 124 20.8%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 165 27.6%
Back