Have Your Say: Tell Us Your All Time Favourite Console Racer

Reading all these comments has been like a massive stroll through memory lane for me.

So many titles on so many different pieces of hardware.

A top 5 is very hard. I mean I almost have one per console as I searched for something that would give me as much fun at home as I had in the arcades playing Sega Rally, Super Hang On, Daytona and F355 Challenge.

PlayStation 1, 2, 3
TOCA series
F1 97
Colin McRae
Wipeout series
GT series

Dreamcast
Metropolis Street Racer
Daytona
Sega Rally 2
F355 Challenge (very nearly online... had a mode which was cool at the time but you knew more was to come)

Xbox, 360, One
All the titles below bar PC has been amazing online from the original Xbox and 360. PGR was nearly always on as the racing was always so close and frenetic.
MotoGP was solid online too and raced many many times.
Forza too, lost countless hours to the, 'just one more race' syndrome.

Project Gotham Racing series
MotoGP series
Forza series
Project Cars

- GT4
- Burnout 1-3
- NFS underground 2
- NFS most wanted (2005)
- Burnout Paradise.
- GT5 & 6 but did not spend that ridiculous amount of hours on them compared to GT4 for example. Still they were my first titles with a wheel (Logitech DFGT) so they were still special.

Great to see so much nostalgic love for those original ps1 games already mentioned in this thread. It all reminds me of being a teenager and all the games I used to play until my thumbs bled from overuse of the ps1 controller! My personal list counting down would be :

5. Colin Mcrae rally
4. Gran Turismo
3. Toca World Touring Cars
2. Formula 1 97
1. Toca Touring Cars 2

I never really played a lot of console, not even in my early years, but here it goes:

1. F-Zero (SNES)
2. Rock'n'Roll Racing (SNES)
3. Burnout Paradise (PS3)
4. Fuel (PS3)
5. Gran Turismo 5 (PS3)

That is all.

Never really had a console but played several racing games that were cross platform products with some of them being quite memorable for me:

1) RaceDriver GRID (just an awesome game)
2) Flatout 1 (fantastic for LAN games -> is that even a thing these days? :D)
3) TOCA 2
4) Colin McRea DIRT
5) Need For Speed Carbon

All time favourite is either gran turismo 1 or 2. The 2nd one was a much better game where the first one was more rougher around the edges. But the first one was also unique and awesome just in a way I had hope a driving game would be back then. Tons of cars, tons of new and interesting cars, tuning options, solid career and most important super fun to play. The cars for the first time looked kinda realistic in replays which at that point was also unheard of. I still have my savegames for both titles even though it is unlikely I'll ever use them because my old psx is dead and I'm not going to get another one.

I also liked the original need for speed on playstation even though I think that is more of a pc game. There were tons of decent racing games on psx but none had the overall package what gt offered.

I was first introduced into the driving / racing games on the PS3 and my newly acquired G27 upgrading from a DFGT and purchased "Midnight Club L.A." and absolutely loved the open world driving (I think it's called that...lol) and the game itself with the huge customization you could do to the cars, getting them looking just right....also I loved just driving around in manual obeying the road rules, stopping at the lights etc etc...then letting loose and having to get away from the police, avoiding the pedestrians, other traffic on the road (I do not condone this type of behaviour...lol)...but really enjoyable none the less....ahhh those were the days and actually miss this type of game on the PC.

• Deleted member 205301

hello, for the 36yo boy that i'm, the list would includes only games "from my time"
.1. Gran Turismo 2 / playstation
.2. Toca race driver (toca3) / xbox
.3. Formula one (95) / playstation
.4. F1 world grand prix / playstation
.5. ferrari f355 challenge / n64 (or gamecube, i dont remember exactly)

@++

Last edited by a moderator:
Since PS2 was the only console I had back in the day.
I must say
No.1 is Shutokou Battle 01 (mostly Tokyo Xtreme Racer 3 in Western country :))
Battle with dumb ai, earn cash, mod the car.. battle with fast and dumb ai, earn moar cash.. etc etc.
It was blast!

NFS Hot Pursuit 3/Ps1. 2/Ps2. F1-95/97. Colin Mcrae Rally 1/2. WRC 1/2 (Evolved aka 3) Destruction Derby 2. Gran Turismo 2/4. Super Mario Kart Nes. In random order. Now, PC. RF2, Dirt Rally, casually P.Cars, Wreckfest and so on, Rocket League the latest, good game... No more consoles. But never say never, maybe someday i buy console, but for its original meaning, For fun! So i hope Nintendo still makes consoles if i decide to do that some day...

Last edited:
1.) Gran Turismo 1 on PS (for me it was the best part, played it with the negcon)
2.) Gran Turismo 2 on PS
3.) TOCA1 on PS (my first racing game, playing with the old digital controller, very hard)

I wish they would be playable on my very new PS4, together with pandemonium.

Since 2004 I'm racing on pc

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 62 29.1%
  • More leagues

Votes: 41 19.2%
  • Prizes

Votes: 44 20.7%
  • Trophies

Votes: 26 12.2%
  • Forum trophies