Have Your Say: Tell Us Your All Time Favourite Console Racer

Gran Turismo series. And a little gem mostly forgotten: Enthusia. An outstanding PS2 game that holds up physics-wise even today.

Test Drive Le Mans and Demolition Racer: No Exit, the two on the Dreamcast. But the first one i played was Super Monaco GP on the Master System. So many hours spent trying to defeat the mighty G. Ceara...

It's between GT2 and GT4. I didn't have a PSX but I played with a primary school friend for so long. I already had a PC as a kid at the time but PC didn't have anything like it. So many cars, great fictional tracks, variety, soundtrack. Great memories.

GT4 was huge for me as well. I got a second hand PS2 just for that game and I literally spent a whole school-off summer playing through that. It was realistic enough, it was fun, it had so much stuff to do.

I've played the 360 Forza games at a friend's home as well and I've been thinking of getting a second hand 360 just for those but I'm worried it might crap out on me because of their infamous reliability.

EA Nascar 05/06. The AI is unmatched by anything Ive ever seen.Not by the line they take, but how they learn and act around the player. They treat you like you treat them and form alliances.

RalliSport Challange 1+2 will always have a place in my heart as far as console racing games comes.

Toca 1 and 2 also hold a place in my heart, more for PC than console but gave both a try as a relative owned the cosole version, needless to say we weren't always best mates in front of the TV :roflmao:

And, dependent on weather they count or not, Need for Speed, Underground 2, also has a place for me as it was one of the games I played when my brother let me near the console :laugh:

After that I suppose Gran Turismo in different iterations was fun, although far from simulation looking back on it... :whistling:

For nearly 20 years I did console racing before hitting the PC. It's hard to come up with a top 5, but among them would be

Tokyo Xtreme Racer (Dreamcast) - just had something to it
Race Pro (Xbox) - while all you were simming away with Simbin on the PC, we got sloppy seconds with this title. Complaints abounded about graphics and such, but I found it a solid title
Gran Turismo (PS) - I remember staying up to the wee hours of the morning playing this the first night I had it. Sure the physics are lousy, but it was a landmark title
Project Gotham Racing (Xbox) - the mold was set with Metropolis Street Racer on the Dreamcast, but PGR perfected it
NASCAR Heat 2002 (Xbox and PS2) - could really feel the weight of the cars and it was always a blast racing on the road courses and Bristol

Hmmm. I was going to suggest my favorite but decided I wouldn't. I've tried to suggest something on the Assetto forums and was told I was an idiot. So, I guess I won't. :)

1 - Super Monaco GP 1 & 2 - Sega Genesis - I was so into the game, playing it every afternoon that I remember closing my eyes at night and hearing the game green light (tan tan when you started a race or qualy) sound and the car accelerating. Also my thumb had a B mark (the button to accelerate).

2 - Formula 1 97 - PS1

3 - Gran Turismo 1, 2...

4 - Formula 1 2000 EA - Simbin - PS1

5 - Toca 2 - PS1 - I loved the Formula Ford races

Well, I've never owned a console before. My parents never let me have one when I was a kid. But our next door neighbours had a Nintendo 64 and it was the coolest thing in the world (at that time).

Every weekend I'd go over there and we'd play Mario Kart for hours.
So I'm gonna go with Mario Kart.

That said, are we talking about games actually played on a console? Or can we include games that were made for console and then ported to PC by the developers?

In which case, then Need for Speed Underground 2 is my all time favourite console racer. The depth and breadth of that game is still unmatched by today's standards.

Hmm. Favourite all time console racer? Burnout 3 was pretty hard to beat for sheer fun. Loved GT2, GT3 and GT4. Rallisport Challenge 2 and PGR2 on the og xbox were pretty great. More recently Horizon 2 and FM4 and 6 have been really good. Don't think I could choose just one.

Gran Turismo 2 on the original playstation, man spent tons of hours playing the simulation mode. I also love Top Gear 2 on the SNES the first racing video that i played and if you know USA Racer for the original playstation, the shittiest graphic and worst control, but still fun to play. F1 2000 on PS1 i love that they included Jim Rosenthal making the intro on the starting grid, Great graphics, the car sound is fantastic. And my top racing game would be F1 06 on the ps2, the career mode is deep and lets you feel that you are a real f1 driver, starting on the slower cars your progression depends on how well you perform and i also like like the mini game during pit stop, if you mess up it can ruin your race

The three TOCA Touring Cars games on PS1 were my favorite, the original TOCA Touring Car Championship is what got me interested in motorsport in the first place. The third in the series was my favorite though, TOCA World Touring Cars. It had a large selection of cars and circuits, including Australian tracks for the first time (Bathurst, Adelaide and Surfers Paradise) which was a dream come true for an Aussie;). Not to mention the brilliant career mode that I played through multiple times. :)

Sega GT on Dreamcast - the attraction was being able to build a car from the ground up.

Project Gotham Racing on original (old) Xbox - my introduction to online muliplayer. Won a lot of races, lost some races. Eventually, wreckers came along and ruined everything. This developed my total distaste to any online racing to this day.

Need for Speed Underground2
Need for Speed Carbon
Need for Speed Pro Street

Forza Motorsport series 1/2/4 - Forza Horizon series 1/2 on Xbox and Xbox 360

Test Drive Ferrari Racing Legends on Xbox360 - Just kidding. Got the game as a gift and it was pretty bad.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 287 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 192 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 193 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 140 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 250 13.4%