Have Your Say: Monaco Grand Prix - Time for a Change?

I think maybe moving and redesigning novelle chicane would be great:
nGy2G9U.jpg

This will add another 195m to the straight after the tunnel, and could serve as a short, 300m DRS zone (red line starts when the track begins its downhill slope). This extra 195m of straight run down through Avenue JF Kennedy could also mean a safer braking zone - you won't have to brake downhill, you could brake later and from a higher speeds (finally 300+ at Monaco? :p). I think from architectural point of view it's doable.
That is actually not a bad idea. Maybe they should work on it now and we can have even some non-lapping overtakes. Finally.

A racing circuit is a circuit that allows racing cars to race. In that sense Monaco is no longer a racing circuit. Monaco has the biggest concentration of yachts, luxury cars and wealth in the world and that's the only thing keeping Monaco alive. As for racing, Monaco has very few spots were cars can realistically run side by side in a overtaking manouvre. The race is either decided in qualifying or by the pit stop strategy. Should a non racing circuit stay in the F1 calendar? No.
Unfortunately some people priveledge tradition at the expense or rationality.

Last edited:
The first time I can remember watching this "race" was in about 1986 or so. It was a parade then and nothing has changed in the last 30+ years. Why are people's panties in a wad now about it? The rest of the races on the calendar are barely an improvement...

That said, you really can't get rid of it. It's iconic. I watch it even knowing the likely outcome. Some races are all about qualifying and pit stategery and staying out of trouble and this one is perhaps the shining example. Mainly I just dream about being able to afford to go there in person one day and drink a glass of Moet at the Rascasse that costs more than my car payment.

Give all the F1 drivers equal superkarts with there sponsors on and double the points tally for the winner, imagine seeing them all compete in the same equipment! I am also well aware this would never happen.

Given today's compounds and downforce, I wonder how close we are getting to a theoretic perfect lap of Monaco?

You can make a bit of room for passing AND make the race a lot more interesting by simply cutting the tyre width ... and this applies to ALL racing.

How much lap time are you willing to give to get interesting racing?

The circuit itself is fun and very challenging to drive on by myself, but it's not challenging from a RACING perspective. F1 drivers "win" Monaco on qualifying, the racing part is boring as it can be.

Long Beach is much better on every aspect, in my opinion. Much better than the vast majority of current F1 circuits.

Don't stick to Monaco just because of it's history. It was good 50 years ago, it's not anymore. Time to move on.

The circuit is not boring, the drivers are! Monaco is for grown up man... not some kid that needs to cut corners in order to overtake.
It has always been almost impossible to overtake in Monaco. The ones who succeed are the best drivers of all time.

Last edited:
Monaco is one of the most expensive places to life so they could just add a underwater section. Like a 2km full speed loop under the swimming pool - would be fantastic but will not happen cause "glamour fantasy" will not beat "technology fantasy"

There is scope to extend the track to include some more obvious overtaking opportunities, without removing the test for the driver. This would be a good move.

A flat-out lap around Monaco is still a thrilling sight for a true motorsport fan. Sport is not always about putting on a show for tv. I have seen some amazing 0-0 football matches.

I would say its time for a change, considering the speeds I wouldn't call it safe by any means. If it could be changed slightly and make it safer, that would be good.
Look at the old Spa, with buildings right next to the track, that was deemed unsafe, granted the overall speed was higher, but todays modern cars get to speed much faster.
That and get rid of the aero alltogether, and put the driving back into the drivers hands again. I've watched SCCA Formula Vee races that are more fun to watch than F1 these days.

I would say its time for a change, considering the speeds I wouldn't call it safe by any means. If it could be changed slightly and make it safer, that would be good.
Look at the old Spa, with buildings right next to the track, that was deemed unsafe, granted the overall speed was higher, but todays modern cars get to speed much faster.
That and get rid of the aero alltogether, and put the driving back into the drivers hands again. I've watched SCCA Formula Vee races that are more fun to watch than F1 these days.

I don't think anyone wants to scrap the Monaco race due to safety concerns. Have you read any of this thread?

I have seen some amazing 0-0 football matches.
Oh please... :sleep:
you remind me of one of my friend, he love to compare incomparable things.
My ex friend, to be more precise. I really wonder why he's ex. :whistling:
Football match CAN be amazing even if it ends 0-0.
Formula 1 race with double digits zero overtakes ...CAN'T.
Since you love to compare, I figure to explain you in your own language. :giggle:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back