Have Your Say: Monaco Grand Prix - Time for a Change?

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Monaco Grand Prix.jpg

Monaco is one of the most historic circuits on the Grand Prix calendar, but has the venue finally been outgrown by modern Formula One machinery?

The race has never been known for producing significant amounts of passing, but the drivers often rate the race as one of the key events to win during a career in motorsport.

With entertainment for the fans on TV proving one of the main driving forces of modern marketing, something Liberty Media should know plenty about, has the Monaco Grand Prix finally outlived its usefulness as a Formula One Grand Prix venue?

The question for this weekend is therefor one that is likely to offer plenty of divided opinion:

Should the Monaco Grand Prix grid be dropped from future Formula One seasons?

Let us know your opinion in the comments section below!

If you approached the FIA with the layout and length of the Monaco circuit situated on 'flat' land somewhere in rural France they'd laugh you out of the office.
Historic it is, but sadly the venue is tarnished and the circuit too short.
Conversely, today's EffWun cars are just too big!
Racing at Monte Carlo was interesting back in the 1.5L days, reasonably good during the 3.0L formula, but became dreary as the last 10 years of the 20th Century rolled around.
Time to move on.

Removing Monaco is literally like removing Indy from IndyCar (<-notice Indy in the name) or Le Mans from the WEC. You just don't do that.

A layout change may be the way to go but I don't know how with how small and limited the island itself is. Removing the swimming pool complex for example would literally mean removing a swimming pool.

Its not easy and if the layout is changed, that would the need the approval of the Monaco residents and monarchy obviously since it'd change the whole dynamic of the city. I'm skeptical that this would be allowed, although I'm sure the GP brings in a lot of potential investors and sponsors so who knows?

Monaco will be on the calendar until something happens that means they have no excuses not to remove it. Boring races aren't one of those reasons, it'll have to be some major safety concern.

Monaco has always been boring, I can't believe it's taken until this race (which was actually quite interesting for Monaco) for people to realise this.

Keep it as it is, there is very little they could do the layout, so it may as well stay the same.

Was the race that boring? Seriously.
I didn't see much, maybe up to lap 10 or so.
I played a game and then had a nap...
A very special effort is needed to generate interest in this race.
Younger people with no nostalgic connection just won't watch it.
Jeez, I'm 50 and even I didn't watch it!!

Their relentless pursuit of more and more aero certainly does nothing for the quality of the racing. If you had cars that could follow easier, then the "problem" of racing @Monaco would become less. Also I dont think the fact that the cars are now so long really lend themselves to the tight turns of the Monaco layout. Shorter wheelbase = better looking cars, more twitchy (in theory) and less aero (less underfloor etc).

• Deleted member 6919

It's time to go, stop pampering the rich and the stupid..:laugh:

if 'its boring so we shouldn't race here anymore' was how the f1 calendar gets made, at least half the current tracks wouldn't be raced at.

I don't think much has really changed. 20 years ago it was very difficult to overtake. I watched the Classic Monaco this year and the races were processions even when it was pretty clear the driver behind was quicker. So I'd suggest its not even aero that's to blame. Its the layout.

As Prince Albert mentioned himself, he is open to lengthen up the Monaco track between the corner Portier and the entrance to the tunnel on a new piece of land that will have to be gained on the sea.

But before that happens we'll be 6 years in the future. And it remains to be seen if it'll actually make that much of a difference.

Streetcircuits are notorious for being processions, heck take that long straight out of Baku and cut DRS and you'll have the same issue. So why blame Monaco?

Track could be longer wider, but the real problem is the cars, they are as long as a city bus now, shorten the wheel base get rid of the aero bits on top, go to aero under the car as Indycar has done, basically go back to the cars of the 70's wheelbase and aero wise.

It's always been boring, but it's always been there too. No new reason to get rid of it. The main reason anyone got passed ever was they missed a gear or broke the gearbox, that's really the only element that's made a difference now.

The circuit itself is fun and very challenging to drive on by myself, but it's not challenging from a RACING perspective. F1 drivers "win" Monaco on qualifying, the racing part is boring as it can be.

Long Beach is much better on every aspect, in my opinion. Much better than the vast majority of current F1 circuits.

Don't stick to Monaco just because of it's history. It was good 50 years ago, it's not anymore. Time to move on.

Sadly the F1 cars have become totally unsuitable for the track, I believe it is long overdue to remove the venue from the F1 calendar...OR of course keep it on the calendar and use F1 cars from a different period that are far more suitable ...how exiting that would be, to see a current F1 driver, racing an F1 car from 10 yrs or so back...I am sure that would pull in the crowds and TV viewers.

To change such an iconic track would be devastating imo, leave it exactly as it is. I am sure enough revenue could be pulled in for the people of Monaco, buy arranging events/event for iconic F1 cars.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back