F1 deserves a lot of credit for some things:
1. Keeping the race going (while other series' have been slowly multiplying yellows for the T.V. cameras) by resisting the urge to deploy a safety car; and innovating with things such as the "virtual safety car" (while NASCAR goes in the other direction with the killing the "competition" caution).
2. Always keeping an eye towards presentation, polish, and high end technology, despite constant calls to reduce costs, cut out fluff, and become more modest or politically correct. Even if you disagree with some of this (as I do), I'd say you have to respect it, since image is everything and there will always be a spot for the wealthy to play and others to ogle (similar to Hollywood).

On the other hand, F1 is entirely politicized and over-regulated.
1. On the media side, it's Bernie. While going after SIM racers for being hardcore fans, he constantly tried to portray a "who me?" persona when caught with his hand in the cookie jar. But at least he made the cookie jar, unlike the FIA, which produces nothing but EU-like garbage.
2. The FIA is reactionary. My theory is that people follow a sport like F1 because it's almost like following NASA in a sport form. If the teams were allowed to spy on each other and push each other to the brink with a race to crush each other, would that be all that much worse than what we have now?
3. This is not tennis, it's racing. When Charlie has to make the call, he usually gets it right, IMO ("if you don't want to break your suspension, then don't run in the yellow sausage" as opposed to the ridiculous "hey....you cut the track! that's so bad and evil, here is a penalty! :rolleyes:). Where the FIA meddles, we get a clusterf**k, such as the endless money drain of competition-ending, money-wasting, crap sounding engine regulations. Tracks have been neutered into joyless pieces of predictable ribbon surrounded by billion dollar corporate showcases. This may be great for Wall Street, but it aint good for your TV ratings.

A couple of local addicts failed their 3 year old child as it got to their dope and killed himself by consuming it. They were not punished by the judge to any sentence as the loss of their child was punishment enough, he considered.
Strange comparison? Think it through.

Not being punished because the consequence of your actions is punishment enough for yourself just does not sound and feel right. What justice is there in letting people take irresponsible actions and just let them undergo the consequences, disregarding 3rd party suffering?

All faults should be penalised, consistently and according to severeness of the action (like dive bombing ) or lack of action (like ignoring brake problems). The consequences could end someones race or worse, someones life.

So yes, looking at history accidents due to human error and lack of responsibility, all faults (leading to crash or not) should be penalised accordingly.

No favours no privileges no saints. You have been warned upfront.

However what they SHOULD make more lenient are the racing rules regarding car setup and management and use of powerplant.

More innovation, better piloting, cowboys will be left out, fairplay will prevail when entertainment will be ensured by diversity not crashes or personal vetes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I may be on my own in this opinion right here, but here it goes. I personally think that the penalties for on track incidents should in general be by far more severe. This season appears to have gone way down in the quality of racing, in general way too many incidents caused by lack of any thought from the drivers. Now saying that another factor is I'd like the penalties to be far more consistent, since atm they seemingly depend on Whiting&Co's mood on the given day.

On the other hand I think the gearbox penalties are just going off the charts and should be minimized, and if there is provable damage that was out of team's control and is safety concern, there shouldn't be a penalty.

That's my opinion, probably not very popular but that's me. I DO want to see people race, but what I also want is people to race cleanly.

Where a driver makes a mistake and has to pit for a new wing then also giving them a penalty makes no sense at all. They might as well DQ them as they end up parking it anyway to save engine mileage.

I think it would be better if engine/gearbox penalties were given as a deduction in constructor points say 10 points for an engine and 5 for a gearbox as it should be the team that suffers not the driver.

I think it would be better if engine/gearbox penalties were given as a deduction in constructor points say 10 points for an engine and 5 for a gearbox as it should be the team that suffers not the driver.
So the team will suffer whoever it is that makes a mistake, while the driver will suffer only when the driver makes a mistake, hardly right is it?

But I agree with @Kacper Kolodziejczyk There should be harsher, and more penalties. I want to see clean, fair racing on the track.
The thing that frustrates me the most is the tracks and the track limits. Just take Verstappen in Austria as an example, T2, L1, he willingly, and knowingly goes off the track, to get a straighter exit of the corner, and thus keeps his position. He violates more than one rule just there. His pass on Ricciardo was the same way, throwing the car in, making a pass, then going wide off the track, even over the yellow bumps.
Put some damn grass and gravel next to the track, then you can't go outside. Make the kerbs smaller than 1 carwith ++ as they are now. You will also eliminate the crowding others off the track, as there are serious consequences by doing so.

So the team will suffer whoever it is that makes a mistake, while the driver will suffer only when the driver makes a mistake, hardly right is it?

The era when drivers over-revved the engines or missed a shift have long gone in F1. Engine and gearbox failures now are down to the team 90% of the time.

And if someone says it's a team sport then why have a drivers championship?

But I agree with @Kacper Kolodziejczyk There should be harsher, and more penalties. I want to see clean, fair racing on the track.

Tbh, I can't believe that people want more and harsher penalties to have fair and clean racing on the track. If anything, this will lead to no racing at all because drivers allways have to fear a punishment for the slightest contact and cars will just be driving behind one and another and rely on strategy all the time.

Take a look at this: no stupid rules, no ****ing DRS, no KERS, screaming engines, charismatic drivers fighting on the edge wheel to wheel on real racetracks with gravel traps where leaving the track actually punishes you. That overdone safety thinking is what really kills the sport next to horrendous pricing. And non of that stuff could have saved Bianchi btw, who made a mistake and sadly paid the highest possible price for it, aswell as Salom recently. A specator pays alot of money to see 78 laps of actual racing in Monaco, yet he only sees 70 laps because there is water on the track. Why do they have rain tyres ffs?

Now guess, when racing was more popolar: now, when the track police gets called for every stupid situation and the specator gets robbed off by safety car periods over ten laps (may it be at the start because it's raining lol, or during a race) , boring engines and nerdy technology that makes everything even more expensive, or back in the day when you thought there was a jet fighter squadron flying through the Ardenne forests with real men driving their real machines on the edge fighting for their positions without the fear of any punishment? There is a reason why MOTO GP got sold out at Spielberg pretty fast and Formula 1 coulnd't get all places filled.

Tbh, I can't believe that people want more and harsher penalties to have fair and clean racing on the track. If anything, this will lead to no racing at all because drivers allways have to fear a punishment for the slightest contact and cars will just be driving behind one and another and rely on strategy all the time.

Take a look at this: no stupid rules, no ****ing DRS, no KERS, screaming engines, charismatic drivers fighting on the edge wheel to wheel on real racetracks with gravel traps where leaving the track actually punishes you.

You kinda answer the first part here, with the second part.
We don't have these tracks, we don't have that kind of drivers, there is rarely fighting where drivers are left room (look at Montoya not driving Schumacher off the track there).
But in the situation we are now, we need more and harsher penalties, as the drivers are unable to drive fairly with how it is now.
I would rather have grass, gravel and stuff than penalizes you for leaving the track than penalties, but we need something to police how they drive these days,

While we are at it, remove those "stupid" penalties for broken parts (i.e gearboxes etc....).
These guys are stressing the crap out of machinery...running it to the limit.
Stuff will break..
It should not influence the WDC by 'smacking' guys with grid penalties because of it.

Rosberg wasn't really penalised that much - sure, 2 points on the license, but the 10 seconds didn't do anything to his final result.

The problem in F1 with penalties is consistency. We see it with the track limits at every race; sometimes it is okay to take 4 wheels outside the lines, then the week after it isn't. The stewards need to get their act together and just be consistent. Then, even if we like or dislike the penalties at least it will be the same for everyone.

As long as humans judge the situation and humans drives the cars, it is bad to judge the situations. the drivers are full of adrenaline and at those high speeds, everything can happen.

if Rosberg doesn´t stay on the line and go off throttle to let Hamilton pass clear, all would say Rosberg has no balls and will never win a championship. Does he make it like he did it, then it is his fault...so he never can make it 100% good.

I am a fan of such hard attacks not because of the crash, but because of the sport. Racing these days is getting too soft. No contacts, too much team management, too much politics and too less racing.

In this case the penalty did nothing, he did not lose any positions from his original finishing position, nor did he lose any championship points. The 10 second penalty was completely irrelevant because nothing was lost by giving it to him.

Because the spectators are driver-driven. Rarely team-driven.
However, how would you rank the teams an money payments without a constructor champ.? And why not have it become a single-make series if drivers is all ;)

Lewis has already lost races because of mechanical failures this season which is a punishment in itself and now faces the prospect of multiple grid penalties because he is out of engines so gets punished again. Not sure how that improves the spectator experience?

I didn't say to do away with the constructors championship just that the stupid engine/gearbox penalties should just impact the constructors ranking and not spoil the racing. Fans want the driver they like to win because of better driving not because their teammate used an extra gearbox.

You kinda answer the first part here, with the second part.
We don't have these tracks, we don't have that kind of drivers, there is rarely fighting where drivers are left room (look at Montoya not driving Schumacher off the track there).
But in the situation we are now, we need more and harsher penalties, as the drivers are unable to drive fairly with how it is now.
I would rather have grass, gravel and stuff than penalizes you for leaving the track than penalties, but we need something to police how they drive these days,

I think you are misunderstanding me a bit there. Today drivers don't crash more than they did in the past. I am mostly quite amazed how civilized they drive especialy at the start nowadays. In the first corner in Spielberg was not a single colission after the start. And even Monoya and Schumchaer shoved each other off the track or collided on more than one occasion (Spielberg, Imola, and Monaco). Ofcourse they blamed each other too, but the cased was closed pretty fast and no punishments given. And they especialy learned driving at a time, when track limits were track limits.

I would say penalties should only occur when a driver has a dangerous behaviour or deliberately causes a crash (not sure if Rosberg really wanted to crash actually). All others cases are only race incidents to me :).

It should not be that if both drivers are from the same team and crash the offender gets a lesser reprimand than had they collided with another teams driver. The punishment should be consistent. Remember the kvyat vs vettel incident? in the past drivers have also been black flagged for having dangerously damaged cars on track....
There was also a lot of moaning about the large yellow kerbs saying they were dangerous.....I mean cmon..... These are supposed to be the cream of the racing drivers yet they get upset when they deliberately drive off circuit to gain position and better times. They moaned when they got penalties for that too so big thumbs up to the kerbs so they learn, drive off the track and you cost time and money to repair a car.
When McLaren were closer to the front of the grid, any infringement was met with disproportionate punishments compared to other teams doing the same or worse there has for many years been an element of dodgeyness from the governing body.
Mercedes have been getting away lightly for ages. The got caught with tyres too soft got away with it.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back