But ye are basing not wanting mods on what was done for gtr 2
If GTR 3 should prove better than rFactor, I for one would like
DRM , a GT Legends(previous Simbin content) mods etc in other words the best rfactor mods
and the best rfactor 2 mods to come to go to GTR 3 as well.(assuming modders want to do them)
While Bram makes the point of the company wanting to make extra money from dlc
I dont see why their should be a conflict between user and company releases
Look at Skyrim - they will sell addon content but will also release
an sdk, any that don't want to mod their game don't have to.
If its an online issue again players don't have to join a server that is running modded content
The chances are that Simbin wouldn't be able to afford licenses for every type
of GT series or individual cars

Tracks are a good point as well, if you decide that Simbin needs dlc money
they would have to be left out of possible mods as Simbin may do those
tracks at some future point again assuming they can afford a licence.

Also if any claim that the content that shipped with GTR2 was the best - what
do ye make of the comments of SMS that the physics of that content was wrong
eg tires.
For companies that evolved from modder groups it would be a bit hypocritical of them
to go out of the way to disallow mods from their companies games.

I was only stating my personal opinion. If Simbin or gamers want their mods in thats fine by me, only for me its not needed to enjoy the game.

I don't want to see all the old GP4 track conversions, forward ported GTL or GTR2 cars. I want state of the art new content.

Not even going to respond on the SMS claims. That childish discussion between them and Simbin has been going on for way too long and that is something they should have discussed and solved internally.

As a gamer and league organizer I just want to have the best possible online racing sim. If thats GTR3 its fine, if that is going to be rFactor 2 with high quality mods that also fine, Same for iRacing, Project CARS or the upcoming Ayrton Senna Game or any other sim for that matter. Will buy and play them all and eventually my personal favorite will be the one I play the most.

Luckily we will have a lot to choose from in 2012

I also like default content far more than mods. Exceptions are only a few tracks, and those mods for rFactor that bring cars that are used in no other games at all. (and I'm not talking about the individual models, but a certain class. Low powered road cars, classic eastern european cars f.e.)

I agree, if the game has good quality content, and a correct quantity, it can be extreme fun playing it online without any mods. Too much content can hurt too as it divides the players.

In GTR3, there should be GT cars, with probably a few road going supercars/sports cars. (and maybe LMP class)

Only one question comes to mind after reading the discussions in this thread: How do you determine the quality of default content in race games. I have an opion about that but first I would like to read yours.

And to get on subject... Not opening the game to the moding community wouldn't be very smart. Anyone who claims that Simbin titles are not suitable for modding have no clue what they are talking about since the game is basicly almost the same as rfactor.
I do agree that there is a large quantity of rubbish mods for both rfactor and the race series out there. Buggy and unstable, but who's fault is that?
90% of the questions I get about Simbin mod's are caused by the end user. If you have no clue what you are doing... do not touch them or get help from someone who does understand.
Mods keep racegames going. STCC2 was not encrypted by Simbin. I hope they finaly realize that a well developed game open to the modding community will get better and better and be more popular in the long run.

I wasn't trying to say anyone was wrong with their opinion - hope it didn't come across that way.
I agree with the notion of enough good quality shipped with the game but as has been pointed out that
will dependent on each persons opinion of that content.

Péter would like some supercars - fair enough, his opinion
I most definitely don't want supercars, in my opinion supercars are road cars and not racecars
till they are turned into series spec cars. I most definitely am not looking
for a rehash of SMS and EA's type of offering with upgrades and the like.

GTR2 with a new engine even with the content that shipped with it originally
would whet my appetite but but mod-ability will be one of the deciding factors
in buying the game for me

My point about the modding is that with modding involved we could all be happy, if such content
as we would like doesn't ship with the game.
And Bram can be happy by not downloading anything :)

Micheal I view the thread as a discussion among fans of sim racing not an argument :)
Apart from content I would hope that Simbin have taken note of how computers have evolved
since their last engine, eg 64bit support, dual to 6 cores , high res texture availability
I would assume this new engine is meant to last a while so I hope they dont come out
with something that is designed primarily for comps of a couple of generations ago
ie consoles

Roll on tomorrow and hopefully some definite info

If they have any sense (wich i think they do, and is part of the reason a 3 is coming) they will keep their mellow stance on Modding, Heck, Modders are what keeps GTR2 as still thé SIM racegame of choice imho. Rfactor has driver swaps, and thats about the only thing i can think of where it would trump GTR2 tbho...
The talent we have in the GTR2 scene is unreal...
This is the most ridiculous discussion i've read, not wanting a game to be modable? what?
No, gives us the same modability as we know from the GTR series, make sure the netcode on the new engine is better, and give us driverswaps so we dont have to rely on the even older RFactor or the new upcoming rfactor update.... us modders will take care of the rest.
That way we can atleast have a choice of picking the most suitable plaform for long endurance racing, instead of beeing tied to one SIM because it's the only one with "that feature" and hope it works.

Hmmm.. I'm pretty sure Sweden is in the same timezone as us here in Holland...:confused:

I sure hope they did not mean the 15th of JANUARY ?!? :eek:

Well I'll be off to bed after a hard nights work soon, but I'll be checking the Simbin sight when I get up and I'm almost getting excited.

Even if there's nothing major to see, I'll be pleased to see GTR3 officially showing on their site;).

One thing i have noticed is.
The top of the website were it says SinBin Studios Insider
Hover your mouse over the white dots, Look at the date on the last one, Plz tell me thats not the release date next year lol

Hmm like Engage said. Was GTR3 announced on 14th of August?
As the first two dots are todays date. Its abit weird to work your way from right to left.

GQh9J.jpg

I agree with Bram on this one, I think GTR3 if done right will be as good as iRacing is, iRacing has far better racing and content than rFactor etc has, and i think thats cause its limited and done correctly.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.