GTL Troubleshooting Thread

I've had a few problems with my computer so I've gone back to what I thought was a good back-up. Everything is great except that I'm not getting any warning messages at the top of screen (jumped start, cut track etc.). I have my first race on Tues so I really need it working. It looks like there's no room for messages above my virtual mirror. I tried adjusting res for monitor to native and matching this in gtl set-up screen. Any ideas? :confused:

in the picture below there is a little box ticked sometimes you can have in game chat turned off maybe this is the problem
11bb.jpg

go to Options/ multiplayer/ at the bottom of the screen make sure in game chat is ticked

At least half my problem is that I'm playing on a (rubbish and small) 4:3 aspect ratio monitor. I can't see top AND bottom of screen, no matter how I adjust it. I played around with res of mon & game but to no avail. Strange because before I installed XD I didn't notice this. I could see the loading bar for tracks (btm) and warning messages (top). Now I can only see half of each. I don't think the messages were working until I clicked the chat button on and off but, of course, this could all be down to operator error.... AGAIN!

At least half my problem is that I'm playing on a (rubbish and small) 4:3 aspect ratio monitor. I can't see top AND bottom of screen, no matter how I adjust it. I played around with res of mon & game but to no avail. Strange because before I installed XD I didn't notice this. I could see the loading bar for tracks (btm) and warning messages (top). Now I can only see half of each. I don't think the messages were working until I clicked the chat button on and off but, of course, this could all be down to operator error.... AGAIN!

I think it's the XD that is messing around with the way you see things on your screen. This is from my XD Config:

; MoTeC HUD Scale
; Note: Only the MoTeC-Display can manually be scaled.
; Everything else is scaled automatically according to your screen resolution
; If the MoTeC display is set to tab-mode, the other info is also scaled (Session-Info/Standings)
; Value given in percentage
; 100(%) Scale = 1024x768 = 1:1 = No Transformation
; 0 = Disable scaling
Scale=85

If i'm reading this right, anyone please correct me if i'm wrong, i think the XD is set for a screen with a minimum screen resolution of 1024x768 which if i'm correct a 4:3 monitor doesn't accept so more and likely would be the cause of your screen issue.

Try changing the scaling and see what happens?

At least half my problem is that I'm playing on a (rubbish and small) 4:3 aspect ratio monitor....

Don't worry Denis, that cannot be an issue because when this game was new, 4:3 and 5:4 aspect ratio monitors were all there was to choose from basically.. This game was MADE for 4:3 aspect ratio; on modern widescreen monitors menu's and stuff will always look stretched. Have a look HERE to see what I mean. (scroll down and click on "Expand all screenshots and resolution details")

Can you take a screenshot of the in-game screen at a moment when you feel it's missing top and bottom part (use F12 or an external tool like FRAPS), and then when you look at that screenshot with a program like MS Paint, is the view still crippled, or does it seem complete then? If it is complete then, your issue has to do with monitor settings on your monitor OSD menu. (The buttons on your monitor itself) If it's still crippled, could you post it here, so we can better understand what's going on please?

I think it's the XD that is messing around with the way you see things on your screen
If i'm reading this right, anyone please correct me if i'm wrong, i think the XD is set for a screen with a minimum screen resolution of 1024x768 which if i'm correct a 4:3 monitor doesn't accept so more and likely would be the cause of your screen issue.

You may be onto something Hiroshi with XD acting up, but unless I'm mistaken 1024x768 actually IS a 4:3 resolution ??!

So Denis, what screen resolution are you trying to play the game with?

I haven't had a chance to run the game today but I'm running 1024x768 on monitor (native) and game.I'll take a screenshot in the morning and post the results. I'll pretty sure it was ok before I installed XD. Thanks.

Hi Roland. I got up early to get this sorted but I can't open the grab .TGA files. Default opener is paint but I get a message "Paint cannot read this file. This is not a valid bitmap file or is not supported." I downloaded Paint.net,which opens the file but just shows a blue and white checker board effect. Notepad just gives me a load of coding text. :( I'm gonna try Hiroshi's idea for half an hour and then give up. Oh, and guess what? When I try to upload the tga file here it's not allowed. :cry:

Not much joy there either. I couldn't get any changes at all by playing with the scaling option. However, I have selected option 2 on the first option, on/off, and turned the in game HUD off. By narrowing the screen and moving it up slightly on OSD I can now see all the info (just), I still cannot see the track loading bar but so what? I'll be OK to race tomorrow. Thanks for all your input. :)

Oh yes, I'm sorry, when reading your post I remembered having troubles with the in-game screenshot thingy as well long ago. Have switched to using FRAPS (www.fraps.com) for screenshots long time ago. It's a great little tool!
Sorry for sending you into the woods there!:unsure:

And I don't know about uploading pictures to RD, never did that myself, but since you're premium member it should be no problem I guess ?!? It'll for sure accept JPG files.

Please don't give up. You'll get it right for sure.;)

OK thanks, FRAPS it is then. :)

Ha ha! BNP. files not allowed to upload here (damn right too). As I'm not a registered user of FRAPS (£25) I can't capture in JPEG etc.

Allocated time exceeded...... terminate messing with stuff I don't understand... overload..... AAAARRRRGGGGHH! ;)

I get your frustration, just Breathe... breathe... take a few moments away from computers. They can be a pain.. :mad:
I'm at the work ATM so can only login to try to help every now and then.:unsure:
I didn't know free Fraps version does not allow JPG anymore? That's not a big problem though. You do have a .BMP screenshot right?
Open it in Microsoft Paint (included in Windows itself) and then use the "Save as.." function to save it as JPG (or PNG or any other compressed format that RD will take.)
Or just sit in the sun for a while and enjoy a drink first..:coffee:

Sorry for not being around over the weekend much i needed a bit of R&R.
if using a Nvidea card you can adjust your screen with this page inside the control panel .this is different to the screen resolution.
555.jpg

i have messed up my games before when using a tv over a monitor and ended up loosing a bit of the picture. for me it was trail and error to get the screen working .. first try the restore defaults in the top right hand corner.. take a note of were it was set before you do this thought. so you can always go back..
I am not to familiar with the ATI card but i think there will be the same function somewhere..

i remember playing with this for GP Legends to get the screen to fit on my TV. i have moved to a monitor now but have a TV for my other pc and this is what i use to make the game screen fit the tv.

And as Roland said take a breather if it goes wrong it only a machine... I often pulled my hair out with things only to came back 10 mis later and it all worked.

I get your frustration, just Breathe... breathe... take a few moments away from computers. They can be a pain.. :mad:
I'm at the work ATM so can only login to try to help every now and then.:unsure:
I didn't know free Fraps version does not allow JPG anymore? That's not a big problem though. You do have a .BMP screenshot right?
Open it in Microsoft Paint (included in Windows itself) and then use the "Save as.." function to save it as JPG (or PNG or any other compressed format that RD will take.)
Or just sit in the sun for a while and enjoy a drink first..:coffee:

I've been canoeing in sunshine all day and I feel relaxed now.. so thanks to everyone for all their help. I've tried everything you suggested and a few more things too. The screenshots show a full screen but who cares. I can just about see what I need to see. I neglected to say that this happened before and I just re-installed the game and dropped in my personal stuff. I know that works but I don't wanna mess with it before tomorrow. It's not XD because it's still the same if I delete the XD file.
P.S. I didn't mean to seem grumpy this morning...it was my attempt at humour... (notice the wink) sorry.

Attachments

• GTL 2013-07-08 09-08-24-96.jpg
    GTL 2013-07-08 09-08-24-96.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 250

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering