AC GT3 @ Zandvoort - Sunday 31st January 2021

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
@doof205

I have reverted to the 911, happy to share my setup with you, and any improvements I make between now and the race.

it's your call.:)

@Kek700 I like the way you put it last night. If I go for your setup then I've only myself to blame! I'm torn, i'd potentially be faster with it...but then my lack of skill would be exposed! At least now I can blame everything on default setup :D

I'd be interested to give it a try anyway.

On another note, earlier you talked about the 911 being a pogo stick. I've not tried the other cars but do you find the 911 particularly bumpy? I find it very difficult to use curbs and assumed the others were all similar.

I'd like to be in the race but I tried the track and - while I somewhat expected it - I really suck at it. Even after a couple of hours when I got to know it a little bit I was struggling being in the high 1.41 while e.g. I saw @Axel Moebius being in the lows 1.38 :(
It's the perfect digest of what I hate in a track :D twisty, bumpy, narrow.. Not sure yet, also because I don't think I can join every single weekend (due to family duties) so I may very well wait for tracks I love.

As a side note, I switched to PC2 yesterday after the rehearsal in AC, to beat the frustration and even on tracks I used to know very well like the Hockenheim Ring, it was very hard to drive even if I'm using the McLaren also there. Such a different handling, the car was squishy and sliding everywhere :O_o:

Come on @maxilogan. We had a great race last week. Would love to see you at this one. I won't lie I found this track very frustrating last night and struggled to get below 1:40. A combination of the bumpy track and being tired saw me angrily throwing the car into the barriers a couple of times haha. I forget how much of a mental challenge racing is, if you're mood isn't right, your pace / consistency isn't either. Anyway, I took some pointers from Ernie and managed to dip into the 1:39s on mediums which would be half decent for midfield pace. I found focussing on corner exits improved my time. Ernie thought I was focussing too much on corner speed which was compromising my exits so maybe try the same?

@Kek700 I like the way you put it last night. If I go for your setup then I've only myself to blame! I'm torn, i'd potentially be faster with it...but then my lack of skill would be exposed! At least now I can blame everything on default setup :D

On another note, earlier you talked about the 911 being a pogo stick. I've not tried the other cars but do you find the 911 particularly bumpy? I find it very difficult to use curbs and assumed the others were all similar.

Come on @maxilogan. We had a great race last week. Would love to see you at this one. I won't lie I found this track very frustrating last night and struggled to get below 1:40. A combination of the bumpy track and being tired saw me angrily throwing the car into the barriers a couple of times haha. I forget how much of a mental challenge racing is, if you're mood isn't right, your pace / consistency isn't either. Anyway, I took some pointers from Ernie and managed to dip into the 1:39s on mediums which would be half decent for midfield pace. I found focussing on corner exits improved my time. Ernie thought I was focussing too much on corner speed which was compromising my exits so maybe try the same?

That's unfortunate, since my best times now are much lower than yours, but then again I'm usually near the back anyhow. I will try to be in this race even though I think we'll all be sore afterwards.

Hey there. I've been around for 3 races, but only participated in 1 so far. This will be the fourth. If like me, you are not fully confident about racing, I would suggest a few things: 1 is to keep practicing, but not participate in this race. It will come around again, and we race every Sunday. Another thing to do which I've started to get to grips with a track: play offline in a slower car with a similar configuration (FF, FR, MR, etc.)

It's one way to learn the driving lines, and nature of the track before taking it at 100% in a GT3 car. I'll be around the back with you in future :)

I'd disagree and say that joining the race is the best way to improve. You just can't simulate the close racing and especially as a slower car, the experience of driving wheel to wheel with others / getting blue flagged.

I've only been racing regularly for a few months and have seen my confidence and composure improve massively. I used to bin it every time I saw @Chris Down coming to lap me. I'm now far less panicked and am usually able to calmly let people through. Usually.

I watched a video on sim practice recently that ultimately concluded that offline practice and hot lapping is all well and good for qualifying but what are you practicing for? A race. And how best to practice racing than just getting out there. So long as you're not dangerous I don't think there's any better way of improving your spatial awareness and racing etiquette.

I'd like to be in the race but I tried the track and - while I somewhat expected it - I really suck at it. Even after a couple of hours when I got to know it a little bit I was struggling being in the high 1.41 while e.g. I saw @Axel Moebius being in the lows 1.38 :(
It's the perfect digest of what I hate in a track :D twisty, bumpy, narrow.. Not sure yet, also because I don't think I can join every single weekend (due to family duties) so I may very well wait for tracks I love.

As a side note, I switched to PC2 yesterday after the rehearsal in AC, to beat the frustration and even on tracks I used to know very well like the Hockenheim Ring, it was very hard to drive even if I'm using the McLaren also there. Such a different handling, the car was squishy and sliding everywhere :O_o:
Hi Omar, We've all been there. Don't get discouraged by the laptime of Axel. He is very fast. I suggest you take the Z4 which is the easiest car to drive, do some practice but focus on consistency not on laptimes. That will come later. But do join us! Racing with us is the best way of learning. Don't put the bar too high for yourself. Focus on keeping on track, take good notice what to do if you get a blue flag (listen to Chris just before the race on Teamspeak) and most important: enjoy!

Last edited:
I'll give it another go - maybe with the Z4 as per @HF2000 suggestion - this evening or tomorrow afternoon and then decide. I was sticking to the 650S because I got to know it relatively well in PC2 (though as I wrote it seems a totally different vehicle once I leave AC for PC2). Thanks to everybody @Goblin616, @doof205, @HF2000 for the encouragement, such a rewarding feeling to be part of this community :)

I'll give it another go - maybe with the Z4 as per @HF2000 suggestion - this evening or tomorrow afternoon and then decide. I was sticking to the 650S because I got to know it relatively well in PC2 (though as I wrote it seems a totally different vehicle once I leave AC for PC2). Thanks to everybody @Goblin616, @doof205, @HF2000 for the encouragement, such a rewarding feeling to be part of this community :)

If you're around feel free to jump on the server. I've been driving all night mostly.

The 911 bottoms out continually at this circuit, if I sort that, the car is slow. probably okay for the Paris Dakar rallye though.:roflmao::roflmao:

but it does then ride the damper bushes, so it does not overly affect the performance, just a constant crashing sound.

The Porsche as you say really does not like the kerbs at all, unlike some of the other cars, personally, I miss them
completely, seems to help if I miss them too, really affects the drive from the corner which the Porsche seems best at, hitting kerbs upsets its drive out of the corner to it's detriment.

Usually, I know where I am going with setup's and then go in that direction, I know when I am getting confused,
tend to start stabbing in the dark, did it a lot with this setup.

Either I got better or the setup got better, which is which is anyone guess.:roflmao:

The Porsche is a difficult car to drive, destroys tyres without hesitation. bounces about sometimes uncontrollably, turns in very nicely, then understeers like crazy if you apply any throttle.
You seem to spend all your time constantly juggling throttle steering and brakes to hustle it around the track.

I hold out very little hope for this setup, it was created out of confusion and desperation, but at least you know
how it can perform at Zandvoort.:mad:

I am expecting to throw myself off the track with this car, I know concentrating with it for 60 minutes for me is going to be a real challenge.

Attachments

• 1-38-0.2.ini
    1.7 KB · Views: 47
The 911 bottoms out continually at this circuit, if I sort that, the car is slow. probably okay for the Paris Dakar rallye though.:roflmao::roflmao:

but it does then ride the damper bushes, so it does not overly affect the performance, just a constant crashing sound.

The Porsche as you say really does not like the kerbs at all, unlike some of the other cars, personally, I miss them
completely, seems to help if I miss them too, really affects the drive from the corner which the Porsche seems best at, hitting kerbs upsets its drive out of the corner to it's detriment.

Usually, I know where I am going with setup's and then go in that direction, I know when I am getting confused,
tend to start stabbing in the dark, did it a lot with this setup.

Either I got better or the setup got better, which is which is anyone guess.:roflmao:

The Porsche is a difficult car to drive, destroys tyres without hesitation. bounces about sometimes uncontrollably, turns in very nicely, then understeers like crazy if you apply any throttle.
You seem to spend all your time constantly juggling throttle steering and brakes to hustle it around the track.

I hold out very little hope for this setup, it was created out of confusion and desperation, but at least you know
how it can perform at Zandvoort.:mad:

I am expecting to throw myself off the track with this car, I know concentrating with it for 60 minutes for me is going to be a real challenge.
Hi Ernie, I think the 911 can be one of the faster cars here when you can managed the tyres. Did myself some laps with it yesterday and I came within 0.5 s of my 488 laptimes. But I struggled with the rear left tyre that even overheats with mediums and that's killing especially in T9/10 Marlboro/Renault because the 911 goes immediately in a spin than where the 488 let's you correct it. For me a qually lap on softs wasn't even possible without spinning there. Maybe it's better with your setup so I'll give it a go tonight. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
Er wie kann ich daran teil nehmen? Wollte schon öfters mit fahren
Wir würden uns freuen, Sie zu haben

Die offizielle Sprache hier ist Englisch. Bitte verwenden Sie diese Sprache von nun an.

Zunächst müssen Sie für 13 Euro pro Jahr Premium-Mitglied werden. Dann können Sie in diesem Thread angeben, an welchem Auto Sie teilnehmen möchten. Lesen Sie dann die Regeln im ersten post sorgfältig durch, insbesondere die Ihres echten Namens in Ihrem account.
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
Han's German is better than some German I've heard here...

Wie Han schon sagte: Ließ den ersten Post, sind n paar Deutsche dabei zum schnacken, wir freuen uns über jeden Neuling.
And yeah.. please write in English and maybe disable the google translator ;)
I don't know how to delete comment, I don't participate to be clear
You can't. Admins only move "deleted" posts into an archive. But you can edit them, as you did :)
I was struggling being in the high 1.41 while e.g. I saw @Axel Moebius being in the lows 1.38 :(
Well Axel got 3rd last Sunday so he has some serious pace and is very experienced!
1.41 is definitely quick enough to have fun with others here :)
Instead of pushing for a faster hotlap I would recommend to put 70L of fuel into your car and do races against the AI at maximum difficulty. Start at 2nd position and practice how to stay safe and on the track while being overtaken or driving closely behind another car.
I'm recommending max difficulty so the AI won't brake in artificially weird and early spots.
Yep... Like a GT3 race car definitely drives! Squishy and sliding!...
PC2 can be very good sometimes but for GT3 cars I want to have this feeling of driving a super stiff mega car!
When not pushing to the limit, these cars should be very very easy to drive safely!
On another note, earlier you talked about the 911 being a pogo stick. I've not tried the other cars but do you find the 911 particularly bumpy? I find it very difficult to use curbs and assumed the others were all similar
My guess is that the engine at the rear causes some of this. The front will bounce around from the kerbs while the rear either not moves due to inertia of its mass or when it starts to move, you'll have a hard time getting it back under control.

It also need to be quite stiff at the rear I'd think.
Gonna have a look at the suspension numbers at some point...

@RasmusP

My guess is that the engine at the rear causes some of this. The front will bounce around from the kerbs while the rear either not moves due to inertia of its mass or when it starts to move, you'll have a hard time getting it back under control.

It also need to be quite stiff at the rear I'd think.
Gonna have a look at the suspension numbers at some point..

Rasmus

I run it soft at the back, if I run it stiff I end up with a difficult car a 100% of the time. Running it soft means it is generally pliable and easy to drive.
Then when needed it, it will sit on its bump stops which makes it very stiff.
It does not unduly affect the situation, looked at MoTeC, from my complete inability to get to grips with it ( MoTeC ), but I have noticed the suspension bottoming out.
Not as frequently as I had hoped to see, but it is highly likely that I am not
looking at it properly.

I had always assumed it was a front to rear frequency problem, light front, heavy
rear.

I would love to hear your point of view on this, maybe a chance to refer to
MoTeC with some insight rather than relying on pot luck. :roflmao: :roflmao:

Last edited:
I noticed that bottoming out noise in the porker on dunlop corner last week. Is that the undertray hitting the ground? Not sure what exactly the noise represents? It didn't seem to majorly affect the car.

I noticed that bottoming out noise in the porker on dunlop corner last week. Is that the undertray hitting the ground? Not sure what exactly the noise represents? It didn't seem to majorly affect the car.
Yeah the noise you're hearing is the floor touching the ground. Pretty nasty haha.
Mostly not a big issue but depending on where and how severely it touched the ground, the aero isn't working anymore so spontaneous oversteer or understeer might happen!

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.