AC GT3 @ VIR - Sunday 17th May 2020

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
Anyone else rocking the Z4 got a setup I can try?

Everything I am currently trying makes it worse.

Damn I hate this track so much.

I don't know much about the Z4, but you really want to optimise for lateral grip over punctuality of suspension (ie. stiff springs) on this track. Consider softening the suspension or allowing more roll in the car overall compared to other circuits where lateral grip isn't as important.

Z4
Also worth noting, if you soften the rear, it will end up on the rubber stops, this makes setting it up very confused.
You think you are giving it better traction to the rear, you are making it very stiff, also applies to lowering the rear. :)
For the rear you are left with diff, TC, camber and damper settings.:)

I don't know much about the Z4, but you really want to optimise for lateral grip over punctuality of suspension (ie. stiff springs) on this track. Consider softening the suspension or allowing more roll in the car overall compared to other circuits where lateral grip isn't as important.
I'll give it a try but it seems no matter what I do, it understeers in the same way I imagine an ocean liner understeers.

That was...strange really. Nice quali, i could have even made a pole, but was not able to make a lap together. Than after a compromised start i was thinking about giving position back to Chris, but made a mistake and it was no longer necessary. Then the pace was ok, i climbed to p5 and started to think about the podium, but made a mistake again....and again and again:) So i was happy to fight for p4 after such a race.

p.s. in the middle of the race the big BALOON has dropped onto the track wtf:roflmao::roflmao:

p.s.s Looks like i made a lot of 650s setup progress, but this track is very demanding on the stable rear....simply not my day. Also there was a strange situation when i was off the track for the 3d time - a had spun a lot of times and drove back to back-straight, but was not able to give a position back simply because it was hard to understand where am i

What an exhilarating race. After my pre-race monologue about no turn 1 punts, I swiftly received a massive shunt up the rear, of course :coffee:

I was a little bit annoyed, but tried to keep it going since I knew from qualifying I was definitely quick. Half a lap later, back in P1, all I could hear in my head is Alonso:

15136887819169.jpg

After that, 60 minutes of just full on concentration and trying to stay fast and not make a mistake. I was really happy with my performance today, no major mistakes and the pace was where I wanted it to be. I also set new world record in qualifying which I was happy with :)

Thanks a lot everyone for coming out! Looked like there were some great battles towards the end of the race for around 10th position. Glad you folks were having fun :D

I'll release next week's event tomorrow, and would love to see you back! :inlove:

Last edited:
Well that was a race :D. I flew off the track on 3rd lap and dropped to P22 I think. Then I went to pursuit and got to P9. I’m so tired now cause I was pushing it to the limit (which was probably slower :D) the whole race. That track was so difficult and hard to drive, but it was still fun track. @Chris Down thank you for the fun race and I hope that next track would be little bit easier to drive!

ARGHHHHH :cry: :mad:
Quali went fine ... I was having -0.3s in a part of the track, the I stoppend just around .00. Then again, in another part of the track -0.3, the again stop at .00 ... AAAA. I know I could do it high xx's but just couldn't be there.
The start of the 7th place was so nerve-racking. I don't know why. I was seeing the leader ... I was shaking. For the first few laps, I've forgotten how to drive ... But the, the first 20-25 minutes were a blast. So intense, going up and down on the ladder ... so thrilling. Too bad I've ended on grass in the fast left-hander after the esses up-hill and cooked the softs ... I've said I could manage them, but I kept spinning and spinning and spinning. I've hit someone, a BMW, so I've really sorry, I was not in control of the car (but then, in the last laps, a BMW - the same??? - force me to exit the track while he was going back. I guess Chris was right, Alonso's Karma was with us today :))) .

Then I kept spinning and spinning and when I decided to pit, I was looking at the pit menu so I've ended up going the whole pit lane when I realized I missed it ... so I had to reverse it all the way back ... It really was in another spot than in practice and quali ...

I was driving so well ... but I make stupid mistakes, especially when I am in the slipstream of others. Some time ago, I was saying I want to be more consistent, and how to do that. But I was looking at the lap times, when I was not having some in front, and even then, I was like 0.2 - 0.3s tops of my previous time and I was doing that for 4-5-6 laps until someone cames along ...

So how can I improve from here? The speed is there, but I keep making mistakes that are only my own and not caused by others. Am I pushing too hard all the time? How do you manage to be fast, but not push all the race? What should I try to work at from now on?

Sorry to John Plant. I spun so many times I had no idea where the track was and I think I rolled backwards onto the racing line and hit you.
Such a terrible combination of mistakes. With the setup I have it seems I can be consistent and quick ish for only so many laps and then she just breaks traction at the rear and into a the 650 death slide.
Even with the bb at 70 it would sometimes over rotate in the double right hander before the long straights up the hill.
Nightmare.
But was enjoyable.
Thanks guys and apologies for my eratic drinking tonight. Must have been a good laught hearing Murphy has gone off AGAIN on crew chief.

What a demanding track for my first race, enjoyable but stressful. Made it through the first lap without incident but then there was a bit of a jam around turn 4/5 on lap 2 and I ended up spinning and rejoining last. Ended up finishing 17th although a spin on the last lap cost me 16th. Apologies again to Aki for nearly sending you flying, I panicked!

Thanks again to all the staff for organizing these races.

@HF2000 You ha me twitchy early on and I shifted into first by accident and locked up the rear :(
Think it might have knocked you off.. Had bad early race nerves!
I only had to take it home for a pb finish of 16th behind you, but my zero ability to muti task failed me.

When both chris and aki said they were coming up behind, I checked the realtime and rear view mirror respectively, and went for an unplanned off road journey. The only two mistakes I made until then! The second one was particulary bad as I reentered the track, at the 2nd to last corner, with the tyres coated in freshly mown virginia grass and double binned it. Sorry to @Raresch who got caught up in the end of my pinball moment. 18th in the end... where I qualified but pished off at myself I didn't keep it together for a 16th or better.

See you all at the next one :thumbsup:

So how can I improve from here? The speed is there, but I keep making mistakes that are only my own and not caused by others. Am I pushing too hard all the time? How do you manage to be fast, but not push all the race? What should I try to work at from now on?

The only answers are to find a setup you're comfortable with, find the limit, and practice, practice, practice.

I see many people on the practice server practicing maybe 90% of the time quali and 10% race, whereas I practice maybe 10% of the time quali and 90% race. One can't be fast in a race from just hotlapping, but you exercise all of those skills from practicing race pace.

Not saying you do that, because I don't know, but if you've practiced at least a 30 minute contiguous stint, you know what times are reasonable and can experiment without the pressure of having someone up your rear to defend from :)

Other than that, it's all just about learning the track and car. It's also about learning the "dangerous" things you can do that you shouldn't do every lap, but you can do if you need to gain some place. For example, I can gain 0.1-0.2s in the last corner, but it's a bit more dangerous than my normal method, so I don't usually take it unless someone is pressuring me.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back