AC GT3 @ VIR - Sunday 17th May 2020

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
Sorry to John Plant. I spun so many times I had no idea where the track was and I think I rolled backwards onto the racing line and hit you.
Such a terrible combination of mistakes. With the setup I have it seems I can be consistent and quick ish for only so many laps and then she just breaks traction at the rear and into a the 650 death slide.
Even with the bb at 70 it would sometimes over rotate in the double right hander before the long straights up the hill.
Nightmare.
But was enjoyable.
Thanks guys and apologies for my eratic drinking tonight. Must have been a good laught hearing Murphy has gone off AGAIN on crew chief.
:roflmao: :laugh: :roflmao: :laugh: :inlove::p

...after the nightmare I had tonight George, I needed that laugh!:laugh:

What a demanding track for my first race, enjoyable but stressful. Made it through the first lap without incident but then there was a bit of a jam around turn 4/5 on lap 2 and I ended up spinning and rejoining last. Ended up finishing 17th although a spin on the last lap cost me 16th. Apologies again to Aki for nearly sending you flying, I panicked!

You were all over the back off me near the end wished I had the soft tyres on lol, didn't think I would be getting 16th place back until I seen you off on the grass.

I see many people on the practice server practicing maybe 90% of the time quali and 10% race, whereas I practice maybe 10% of the time quali and 90% race. One can't be fast in a race from just hotlapping, but you exercise all of those skills from practicing race pace.
I actually did that. I've put like 50L of fuel and practiced a stint, but I was using mediums, to be honest. I thought that will last (they should have been red in the 35 lap, and we only had 34). Then I've put like 40L with softs and ran again and again ... maybe I still did something wrong ..., I should practice without delta or something ... But when the race starts ... everybody on softs ... so i just changed the setup on the fly ... maybe that's one thing that added to the shanking thing (although I did not make mistakes in the beginning).

But when the race starts ... everybody on softs ... so i just changed the setup on the fly ... maybe that's one thing that added to the shanking thing (although I did not make mistakes in the beginning).

Ah yeah, that'll do it. I learned a long time ago, never change *anything*, no matter how minor, just before the race :p

Running the softs around here for 30 minutes requires getting some used to, especially, since they fall off quite a bit towards the end of the stint. Since the rear tyres fall of first, the balance of the car is changed and you have to be ready for that.

Thanks Chris :thumbsup: and congrats to the podiums. Could not do a good lap in quali but was pretty consitsant in the race and had some good fights. @Evgeniy Neytman did not realise it during the race but after watching the replay I have to say that cutting the track like this and gaining at least my position and an advantage was very unsportsmanlike.

ARGHHHHH :cry: :mad:
Quali went fine ... I was having -0.3s in a part of the track, the I stoppend just around .00. Then again, in another part of the track -0.3, the again stop at .00 ... AAAA. I know I could do it high xx's but just couldn't be there.
The start of the 7th place was so nerve-racking. I don't know why. I was seeing the leader ... I was shaking. For the first few laps, I've forgotten how to drive ... But the, the first 20-25 minutes were a blast. So intense, going up and down on the ladder ... so thrilling. Too bad I've ended on grass in the fast left-hander after the esses up-hill and cooked the softs ... I've said I could manage them, but I kept spinning and spinning and spinning. I've hit someone, a BMW, so I've really sorry, I was not in control of the car (but then, in the last laps, a BMW - the same??? - force me to exit the track while he was going back. I guess Chris was right, Alonso's Karma was with us today :))) .

Then I kept spinning and spinning and when I decided to pit, I was looking at the pit menu so I've ended up going the whole pit lane when I realized I missed it ... so I had to reverse it all the way back ... It really was in another spot than in practice and quali ...

I was driving so well ... but I make stupid mistakes, especially when I am in the slipstream of others. Some time ago, I was saying I want to be more consistent, and how to do that. But I was looking at the lap times, when I was not having some in front, and even then, I was like 0.2 - 0.3s tops of my previous time and I was doing that for 4-5-6 laps until someone cames along ...

So how can I improve from here? The speed is there, but I keep making mistakes that are only my own and not caused by others. Am I pushing too hard all the time? How do you manage to be fast, but not push all the race? What should I try to work at from now on?
That might have been me mate I am not sure.

I was in a Z4 too and I know we were close at a few points.

Ah yeah, that'll do it. I learned a long time ago, never change *anything*, no matter how minor, just before the race :p

Running the softs around here for 30 minutes requires getting some used to, especially, since they fall off quite a bit towards the end of the stint. Since the rear tyres fall of first, the balance of the car is changed and you have to be ready for that.
I went to 35 mins on my softs and I could tell the back was getting a bit twitchy under throttle.

Did not do enough long stint practice to know what I needed for fuel or how long they'd last.

Found myself in P5 due to everyone else pitting and thought I'd better do the same.

Ahhh so you can edit the file itself.
Looks like in game you can only set it to be 1gb.
and in Content Manager you can set the quality a bit lower which also helps. I use medium and since I changed it, I have the whole race recorded

You really do drive that 650 like you designed the car yourself. I think in answer to some of Raresch questions I think the main difference is that you seem to be able to drive a lap 2 or 3 seconds faster than most of us but yet it looks slow/easy in a replay video.
What do you think driving style wise is so different. Are the rest of us overdriving the car all the time?
Are you under any pressure at all lapping at those times? I just find it hard to understand at times as the 650 gets so difficult to control the less wing you run.
Did you have any "moments"?
I had that horrible feeling with the 650 tonight where I knew it was going to go on me, and that once it did it was unrecoverable. Haven't had that feeling in a while.

You really do drive that 650 like you designed the car yourself. I think in answer to some of Raresch questions I think the main difference is that you seem to be able to drive a lap 2 or 3 seconds faster than most of us but yet it looks slow/easy in a replay video.
What do you think driving style wise is so different. Are the rest of us overdriving the car all the time?

Heh, you flatter me. :inlove: I think the way I'd characterise my style is just really smooth. I'm always trying to visualise 1-2 corners ahead to avoid adjustments as much as possible. As I'm sure you know, adjustments on the 650s can be deadly.

When I watch other people in the 650s, usually the thing I see is that people aren't comfortable using the gearing and diff to modulate the torque to each tyre, so the car is a lot more unstable. The car also really loves to oversteer, and people make the mistake of trying to correct it, without realising that that *is* the 650s. If you can ride the oversteer, you'll be fast. Tuning it out with setup is doomed to make a below-average car.

Are you under any pressure at all lapping at those times? I just find it hard to understand at times as the 650 gets so difficult to control the less wing you run.

Hmm, I'm driving close to but a bit under the limit most of the laps in the race, just because of the grass runoff and potential for time loss. On "safe" corners like those in sector 1 I'm usually always at the limit. On a more forgiving track like Paul Ricard I'd probably run at the limit throughout the lap all the time. If I needed to a high 43 lap is possible even with older tyres, but it's too risky to do it repeatedly if not under pressure.

Did you have any "moments"?

I had a couple of close ones into the fast left hander at turn 10, where the right wheels dipped more onto the grass than I'm comfortable with, although nothing too serious since the aero is really working there. I also had one lap where the final turn was kind of sketchy, but managed to save it with a slither of throttle to unlock the diff. Unfortunately not sure what laps those were, but they're in there somewhere :)

I had that horrible feeling with the 650 tonight where I knew it was going to go on me, and that once it did it was unrecoverable. Haven't had that feeling in a while.

When a slide starts you've really got to catch it fast in the 650s, or lean into it and use the throttle to lock and unlock the diff to get the car straight again. I'd make sure your FFB, FOV, and other things are well tuned to make it visible when a slide is starting. :)

Last edited:
Heh, you flatter me. :inlove: I think the way I'd characterise my style is just really smooth. I'm always trying to visualise 1-2 corners ahead to avoid adjustments as much as possible. As I'm sure you know, adjustments on the 650s can be deadly.
I have had to experiment a lot with ride height and rake before i was able to match your quali times. Usually i adapt the setup for the race, making it comfortable under fuel, but this time i drove simply the qual setup. That was a huuuuuge mistake. Too soft rear made it wild in the fast corners

Man... that was a soul destroying race :)

I felt like I had been improving over the last few races, but I just struggled to keep the car balanced this time. I was also getting visibly spanked on corner exit, which I thought I'd improved on a fair bit, but this time I just couldn't feather the throttle in without the rear wanting to go a wandering and often ended up waiting for the car to straighten up. I loaded up Brands after and the car felt so much more stable on exit, so I guess I just need to practice on this type of circuit a bit more.

Reading about you guys trying to find the perfect balance for your car while I still have problems finding the car :D thats the only thing which bothers me at the GT3 class that you have to choose one out of several cool cars. That's how I imagine it has to be when going to a brothel

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back