AC GT3 @ Silverstone - Sunday 17th January 2021

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
I've been pounding round for many hours and think my lines/braking/gears are OK. I'm fairly consistently in the lower 2:06's and might scrap a 2:05 on a hot lap with softs and a low tank of fuel. I'm in the GT-R and have only really tuned the gears as described in the setup guide. I've seen 2:02 from others drivers but I can't see where I'd find 4 secs. Can you really find 4 secs with a well setup car?
Going fast either takes years or a lot of time and talent.
3-4 seconds on a 2 minute track isn't that much!

If you really want to see black on white where you're losing time, install acti (download from RD), record a "good" lap and send me the files.

I'm used to using motec to see where I'm losing time so I could do a quick analysis.

I know how you feel.. You think you're in the limit. But you're just on the limit of the tyres in one direction.
The really fast drivers steer a bit differently, use the pedals better and then use the maximum grip of the tyre more efficiently.

I'm not super fast! More a midfield driver but I've seen in motec how my driving looks compared to someone 2-4 seconds quicker.
Motec is the best to "destroy the magic" and shed light on why you're slower :)

Going fast either takes years or a lot of time and talent.
3-4 seconds on a 2 minute track isn't that much!

If you really want to see black on white where you're losing time, install acti (download from RD), record a "good" lap and send me the files.

I'm used to using motec to see where I'm losing time so I could do a quick analysis.

I know how you feel.. You think you're in the limit. But you're just on the limit of the tyres in one direction.
The really fast drivers steer a bit differently, use the pedals better and then use the maximum grip of the tyre more efficiently.

I'm not super fast! More a midfield driver but I've seen in motec how my driving looks compared to someone 2-4 seconds quicker.
Motec is the best to "destroy the magic" and shed light on why you're slower :)

My best time so far is 2:06.900 :thumbsdown:

I've been pounding round for many hours and think my lines/braking/gears are OK. I'm fairly consistently in the lower 2:06's and might scrap a 2:05 on a hot lap with softs and a low tank of fuel. I'm in the GT-R and have only really tuned the gears as described in the setup guide. I've seen 2:02 from others drivers but I can't see where I'd find 4 secs. Can you really find 4 secs with a well setup car?

I'll repeat what I said from last time out: the absolute maximum I've ever been able to find by setup on a ~2 minute course is 0.5 seconds. Anything more than that is just practice. :)

Last edited:
My best time so far is 2:06.900 :thumbsdown:
Doesnt really matter. Constancy is key. Just think about it. You are doing 2:07s constant. A car ahead of you is doing 2:05s or even 2:04s. Spins out and is loosing 30 secs. Would take like 15 perfect laps, without any traffic to close the gap to you again. So I woudnt care too much about lap times, its better to be consistent, speed will come with time and practice.

Last edited:
It may look like all you need to do is look at a replay, or sit with another driver, but following someone who is generating a slower pace for someone else means they can achieve a perfect lap, for them, and you.
When you follow, you will quickly see where you are gaining time, losing time, more importantly where you need to put all your efforts.
A replay of someone else does not, in the same way, etch that into your brain.

I get a whole heap of information when Chris and others lap me, usually so much, that next day, I practise again, usually I am faster.
Sometimes by quite a lot, luckily I can usually tag on for three laps, enough to see where I am losing, mostly it is only a few major corners.

One point from that is never apply that information in that race, it is a recipe for disaster, do it next day in practice. :roflmao: :roflmao:

Better still take Rasmus up on his offer, he helped me a lot at brands, pin pointed exactly where I-was losing time, it was very difficult to put into practice, but basically I could ignore 90% of brands and concentrate on those two corners.:thumbsup:

It did not make me into an alien, but I can lap brands easily at my previously best lap time.

Most are faster than me, I have just learned, who to ask, and how to get the best from what I am ok at. Still got loads to learn.:(

I would list all the drivers that are faster, they are usually in our Sunday GT3, but with a bit of luck some may not realize it themselves. :roflmao::roflmao: You would be shocked at some of the names, some are obvious though.

The end.

Probably the daftest question likely to be posted here but how the hell do I stop in the pits? I drive into the red box but nothing happens (I have to click ESC and choose to return). Do you have to press something when you enter?

I definitely have had enough practice. I fear if I do any more before Sunday I won't race. I've done 1160.1km on Silverstone since Monday, making it the most driven circuit I've driven on in Assetto Corsa to date. (Stat is taken from the OSRW version of the track, so it's not including previous laps at Silverstone!) I just looked up the circuit length, did the maths: 196.9 laps since Monday! :cry:
thats-a-lotta-km.JPG

Last edited:
Probably the daftest question likely to be posted here but how the hell do I stop in the pits? I drive into the red box but nothing happens (I have to click ESC and choose to return). Do you have to press something when you enter?
That's how you do it. If you want to actually make a pitstop you have to set it up in advance.

I definitely have had enough practice. I fear if I do any more before Sunday I won't race. I've done 1160.1km on Silverstone since Monday, making it the most driven circuit I've driven on in Assetto Corsa to date. (Stat is taken from the OSRW version of the track, so it's not including previous laps at Silverstone!)
View attachment 436607

Practice is something built up over months and years, not just one track :) Hell, I have 70000km in the 650s and I am still learning things every weekend.

I definitely have had enough practice. I fear if I do any more before Sunday I won't race. I've done 1160.1km on Silverstone since Monday, making it the most driven circuit I've driven on in Assetto Corsa to date. (Stat is taken from the OSRW version of the track, so it's not including previous laps at Silverstone!) I just looked up the circuit length, did the maths: 196.9 laps since Monday! :cry:
View attachment 436607
Hiya Frank, and a belated welcome to this great bunch of vagabonds & rascals ;)

As Chris says above, and others have too - track time is everything, no matter what you think you've done, it simply cant be enough without time, shed loads of it.

So politely, I'd say the only option is to forget the number of laps you've put in and simply enjoy the trip, racing with everyone around you, and further up the grid as other new peeps fill in behind you. It's a long, and massively rewarding trip, which many don't take 'cos of impatience.

My pc crashed a few weeks ago, rescued a few files, one of which said I'd done 1500+ hrs in the 650S, far fewer than Chris!... but still thought I had the pace for top 10 on a full-ish grid.....

...then, last week I went on a server with a couple of friends who've driven Silverstone irl (I last drove it in the 70's, not much use:laugh:), their advice was along the lines of - "you're utter:poop: in Village, Luffield and Stowe. They helped me take over a second off my pb, after all those hours of hammering laps making the same bl**dy mistakes over and over. My long waffle point is enjoy your time here, the rest will come. But not overnight:p;)

Last edited:
Woooaa. So much activity in the last weeks. Unfortunately I've been busy with work and a Romanian championship and I can't join Sundays for a while :notworthy: :cry:

But you lot are very knowledgeable, and if @Chris Down will allow it, I would like to ask you something. I,ve recently bought a GT lite from NLR to upgrade my wooden chair and to have a harder frame for my TLCM. But after one week or I find it very uncomfortable, I can barely stay 20-30 min in it without pain. I've tried multiple positions, nothing works for now.

So I am looking for a full cockpit now, around 400€ mark. I am looking for:
-good, comfortable chair even lombar support
-included shifter mount
-enought space to put on my knees a wood plank to keep mouse and keyboard, or an easy adaptor that could slide. I sometimes play other things and I also work from home for the next months (I already do this, but you get the idea).

What I like, design wise, is NLR F GT cockpit, but I don't know how comfortable the chair is. Also, what I could have gathered is that a good solution would also be to buy an aluminium frame from Motedis and also buy a second hand or a new chair. If I calculate the price for those, I end up around the same 400€ (or even more with some seats).

I am based in Bucharest, Romania, so anything for the EU market (unfortunately UK is a bit tricky now) will do. What are you recommendation?

Last edited:
My aim for this weekend is to try and be consistent, stay on the track and finish the race. My last outing I managed none of that. As a newbie I have just tried to learn how to get around the track consistently and gradually found a bit more pace doing so. I have ignored other times on the server to use as comparison and not changed the car setup at all. I picked the 911, not tried the other cars yet either as for now I figured it was better to pick one car and try and learn it rather than switching.

Lapping around the 2:04s on medium tyres currently at best. I can see where time is available, but it means pushing closer to losing the car which I inevitably will do at my current skill level and as pointed out above lose far more time overall. Really enjoying the challenge of learning to drive a sim properly though!

My aim for this weekend is to try and be consistent, stay on the track and finish the race. My last outing I managed none of that. As a newbie I have just tried to learn how to get around the track consistently and gradually found a bit more pace doing so. I have ignored other times on the server to use as comparison and not changed the car setup at all. I picked the 911, not tried the other cars yet either as for now I figured it was better to pick one car and try and learn it rather than switching.

Lapping around the 2:04s on medium tyres currently at best. I can see where time is available, but it means pushing closer to losing the car which I inevitably will do at my current skill level and as pointed out above lose far more time overall. Really enjoying the challenge of learning to drive a sim properly though!
Dayum! That's a good time Tim, remind me to unfriend you :laugh: But we don't mention lap times here according to the rules, which are meant to be broken:roflmao:

Advice I heard from @Kek700 Ernie a long time ago was to pick a setup and pace you can drive for an hour (in these events); he was absolutely spot-on and have always used it. People will have incidents, if you can drive your own race keeping mistakes to a minimum you'll have a ball, keep it up stay as you are mate;)

@Raresch

GT1-EVO sim racing cockpit sale on €330

Cannot go wrong, can constantly modify it, and make an infinite amount of adjustments

Last edited:

Latest News

What would be the ideal raceday for you to join our Club Races?

• Monday

Votes: 14 11.5%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 11 9.0%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 11 9.0%
  • Thursday

Votes: 15 12.3%
  • Friday

Votes: 44 36.1%
  • Saturday

Votes: 72 59.0%