AC GT3 @ Silverstone - Sunday 17th January 2021

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
I definitely have had enough practice. I fear if I do any more before Sunday I won't race. I've done 1160.1km on Silverstone since Monday

I have 30.000 km on the Z4 and over 8500 on Imola alone. Still got a new PB last week, and also know I can squeeze in one ore two tens more if I get a perfect lap. There is always stuff to learn and improve.

Its not only driving around the track, its also how you practice. Are you looking for consistency (race setup), or want to improve some corners. managing breaking points, etc. You can really focus your practice on different aspects. Also racing is a totally different experience. Most lap times in the race are a bit slower then practice, but there are some people here that can really push it during the race. Its a fun experience to see if you can get a new PB cause you just want to be faster then the car in front (or behind :) )

@Chris Down Unfortunately need to cancel this week, got a spontaneous DnD session which I need to DM. but see you next week.

I have 30.000 km on the Z4 and over 8500 on Imola alone. Still got a new PB last week, and also know I can squeeze in one ore two tens more if I get a perfect lap. There is always stuff to learn and improve.

Its not only driving around the track, its also how you practice. Are you looking for consistency (race setup), or want to improve some corners. managing breaking points, etc. You can really focus your practice on different aspects. Also racing is a totally different experience. Most lap times in the race are a bit slower then practice, but there are some people here that can really push it during the race. Its a fun experience to see if you can get a new PB cause you just want to be faster then the car in front (or behind :) )

@Chris Down Unfortunately need to cancel this week, got a spontaneous DnD session which I need to DM. but see you next week.

DnD oh gosh... I am envious.

@Raresch

Had to go back to your post from the race at Spa :geek:...but...how do you like the 488? I'm considering that one or the open-wheel type. I currently have the TM-TX 458 edition and am looking for a nicer wheel that won't chew up my gloves like the plastic and rubber of my current wheel. Thanks for your opinion. :D

Last edited:
@Raresch

Had to go back to your post from the race at Spa :geek:...but...how do you like the 488? I'm considering that one or the open-wheel type. I currently have the TM-TX 458 edition and am looking for a nicer wheel that won't chew up my gloves like the plastic and rubber of my current wheel. Thanks for your opinion. :D
Hi,
The alcantara is really nice. The thickness of the wheel is not really real life (3-4cm), but that's a good thing because you can reach the paddles easier and the fact that you can mount the paddles in 2 position is also a plus. The structure is plenty rigid, with no flex, and being 32cm you have enough leverage to turn the wheel and feel comfortable with the position of your hands.

The rev LED's are nice enough, but you need Fanaled or Sim... something to run them. You need to fiddle with settings, because they don't always match the LEDs in-game.

As not so good things, the buttons are a little disappointing for me, they feel too tooyish, plastiki when you press them. They don't have any click when you press it, it's just press, feel some resistance and they work, but I would have wanted a more pronounced click. That my opinion thou. It's a thing of taste, you might like the way they are pressed. I am the guy who wanted a mechanical keyboard with clicky cherry mx brown. So if you want all your things silent, you will actually be fine.

The rotaries have a nice push, that I would have liked to see to all buttons, but when you rotate them they feel a little imprecise. The feeling is good, but sometimes you don't know if you went 1 or 2 steps. It's always 1 step, that's good, but the feedback receive from feeling the rotary roll gets you the impression that sometimes you went 2 steps.
They rotate 360 with no limitation. Also, it doesn't matter where the starting position is, it's the same button pressed. So it's not a potentimeter rotary, where you rotate more you get more, but every time you rotate to one direction, you get the same button pressed over and over and over again. There are like 12 steps.

Also, I've said that it's sturdy enough, and it is, but sometimes you feel the plastic covers stretch and contort, which is not very pleasant. That's something I've never heard with g29, maybe because the motors where a lot louder. Still, thinking in a turn that the wheel might break it's something you need to adjust you brain to ignore.

One last thing, some buttons in advance mode are duplicates. Don't know why, but the yellow one from the low right is the same with pressing the white controller from top left (where it's written radio).

Overall it's good, but because i don't like the feeling of the buttons, it's partially disappointing to me.

All the thrustmaster wheels have the c same lack of feel on their buttons? And why no reviewer talks about that ...

Last edited:
Well alien Enzo claims that a strategy without tyre change and 1liter is always the best. But I'm not good with worn tyres so I'm going for the 50-50 strategy.

Hmm, at least for me, it's definitely not always the best -- on a number of tracks and track conditions, softs or med 50/50 are significantly better. I can recall races where using softs is theoretically 10+ seconds faster over the race :)

It should be mentioned that this does have a lot to do with your driving style though, you've got to know how to manage the worn tyres properly, and it's generally easier to manage worn mediums than worn softs, for example.

Last edited:
@Chris Down I forgot to choose a car!
I'll try the Ferrari!

Just did 20 laps in the Porsche, felt nice, felt quick.
Took the Ferrari, felt unstable and understeery in some spots, had difficulties to figure out which pedal inputs cause the "super agility moment" where the rear rotates a bit too much..

Set a faster time than with the Porsche on my 3rd lap :cautious::laugh:

Hopefully gonna learn how to control this during practice & qualy :D

IDK If this is relevant because I haven't raced yet, but 28 cars online, I have one request:

Please be extra cautious during the opening laps, especially at the start. I imagine there will be lag and frame rate drops that will make it very difficult to manouvre and avoid accidents at the beginning. Always err on the side of caution when deciding to brake, or attempt to pass. I hate to be a a bug, but I am the goblin.

Thanks.

IDK If this is relevant because I haven't raced yet, but 28 cars online, I have one request:

Please be extra cautious during the opening laps, especially at the start. I imagine there will be lag and frame rate drops that will make it very difficult to manouvre and avoid accidents at the beginning. Always err on the side of caution when deciding to brake, or attempt to pass. I hate to be a a bug, but I am the goblin.

Thanks.
Chris says something similar right before the lights go on. Don't worry :)
And for the guys who don't behave: a post on page 9 won't help :roflmao:

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • Monthly

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • Yearly

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Monthly at lan events

• Yearly at lan events