AC GT3 @ Red Bull Ring - Sunday 2nd August 2020

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
@erazerr7 I can't upload a setup file on Pm for some reason. So I will put it here. It's the setup I used on Road Atlanta some weeks ago.
I would love to hear your opinion about it.

Attachments

• Atlanta002.ini
    1.7 KB · Views: 51
@HF2000
Could not resist trying your set up, if you are interested, spent 60min creating my own setup for this car. eventually as fast as my best here at Red Bull ring.
Massively faster with my setup compared with yours, sorry about that statement. :redface:

Another of my experiments??, if you wish, I could up load it here for you, just give me the nod.:thumbsup:

If you think another one of his crap setups, will understand.:(:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

PS. My setup still needs a bit of tweaking, but as far as I am concerned 95% there. ( maybe gearing for one (Slightly ) )

@HF2000
Could not resist trying your set up, if you are interested, spent 60min creating my own setup for this car. eventually as fast as my best here at Red Bull ring.
Massively faster with my setup compared with yours, sorry about that statement. :redface:

Another of my experiments??, if you wish, I could up load it here for you, just give me the nod.:thumbsup:

If you think another one of his crap setups, will understand.:(:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

PS. My setup still needs a bit of tweaking, but as far as I am concerned 95% there. ( maybe gearing for one (Slightly ) )
I would like that very much, Ernie. You guys are so much more experienced in setups and I can use any help especially with cars with a lot of setup options like the GT3's.
n that perspective: I was tempted to like the 595 from the Monday event as it only has alignment as setup variables. But it turned out that it hates me :(:(:p

Do you guys find setups help a lot or is it more like 10% setup, 90% improving skill when trying to get faster? I mostly just change the basics, tyre pressure, wing, diff and final gear ratio (not really individual gears), maybe a bit of front ARB and springs on say Spa for eau rouge but don't tend to mess with the dampers or camber/toe as i'm not sure how much they would help when deviating from the default.
I've read guides and mostly understand what each change does to the handling but just wondering if it would be something like 0.5s+ faster or just to extract the last tenth

Do you guys find setups help a lot or is it more like 10% setup, 90% improving skill when trying to get faster? I mostly just change the basics, tyre pressure, wing, diff and final gear ratio (not really individual gears), maybe a bit of front ARB and springs on say Spa for eau rouge but don't tend to mess with the dampers or camber/toe as i'm not sure how much they would help when deviating from the default.
I've read guides and mostly understand what each change does to the handling but just wondering if it would be something like 0.5s+ faster or just to extract the last tenth

I'm clueless when it comes to car setups. I'd agree that practise is more important, but I'd also say that a bad setup can hamper that practice. As an example, I was really struggling in a Calibra DTM @ Mosport Park race a few months ago, and John stepped in & gave me a decent setup where I was able to knock seconds off my time.

I virtually never practice for a race.
( excludes a new circuit and Abarth 595 on the Highlands circuit , I practiced there to achieve one lap without spinning:confused:)
I spend all my efforts in setting up cars, 595SS being the exception, nothing to set up :(

I think @pattikins Patrick has the correct way of doing it, if max circuit speed is your bag, minimal setup, lots of practice.

I am just not cut out to do this, but setup's, I love, I am not particularly quick driver so I see no reason to practice at being mediocre.
Get all my pace from extracting the maximum I can from the setup with me driving it.

Constantly trying to balance my short comings with the cars setup. sometime I relatively nail it, sometimes I am going down what seems like a fruitless a road. Quite often after the race I get it, re-do the cars setup and go faster.:(

Anyway enough waffling.

@HF2000 my setup for Ferrari , hate this car, but after setting it up, I sort of get it, equalled my best time with this car, more importantly could see how I could extract more time from it. but that is not what I did it for, so left it.

This is car has a loads of potential, maybe I am over stating how easy getting more time from this car.??

MY setup, if you think it is rubbish, hopefully say so, pointless if you are just polite, will learn now't from that

Attachments

• save 2.ini
    1.7 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Can you put me down with the 650s as a maybe please Chris - it all depends on my PC's ability to cope with the number of drivers that turn up on the night.

Love to see you back mate :inlove: I've also been shrinking the grid size only to the signed up size on the race server, which should also reduce the load since your computer won't have to handle any more potential cars/models/physics.

It really depends on how close you are to the limit anyway. Setups are all about allowing you to extract the maximum out of the car, so if you're not doing that already with the current setup, the setup isn't going to help much. For example, if a setup helps you to take one corner marginally better because it extends the limit of grip, it's not going to make any difference if you never reach the limit of grip or suspension geometry anyway.

For consistency it can help even when not at the limit, but that should just mean that you find a comfortable setup and use it for all tracks, maybe only tuning aero. :)

So I would say in some cases those at the front can gain 0.2-0.5s off of a good setup vs. an only "ok" setup depending on track, but one already has to be at the limit of adhesion and suspension behaviour to get much of a benefit, if that makes sense.

As a general guide:

• If you're usually below 1 second a lap behind the leader in quali pace, keep practicing, but you can also consider some setup tuning for this specific track.
  • If you're usually more than 1 second a lap behind the leader in quali pace, just grab a comfortable setup and focus your time purely on practice. No setup is going to make up that gap.

Especially with the 911 I've found having a setup that I know what it will do to be a godsend. It will still bite sometimes (see: Chang) but on the whole I know how to drive it now to more or less keep it on the road. I've been driving it on and off for 2 years now though, so it will take a bit of practicing and tweaking.

Since my return I've been encouraged by my pace, I think on average I've been about a second behind Chris in quali, which for me is an improvement. I don't change the setup much from track to track, only the ARB and soooometimes aero but even going to 18 rear wing from 20 on the Porsche makes it noticeably more lairy, so I tend to leave that alone.

Just a bit more waffle,
I just have not got that fine touch requiring attribute of keeping as much speed in the car during the cornering phase, I will always be slow. The setup for me helps me extract as much as I can from entry and exit .
When I tried Hans setup I was 2 seconds off the pace. By finding ways of optimising the entry and exit of the Ferrari it made all the difference.
But I have a number of things I can use and combine to achieve this.
Camber is an example, just because you set the static camber, that does not often bare any resemblance to the dynamic camber when you start the cornering process. ( not sure if there is a word called dynamic camber, thought it sounded good )
Now if you know the dynamic camber of your car, and you know the circuit, it is possible to optimise it for that particular circuit. If it is mostly fast 3rd 4th gear corners then you use less dynamic camber. If it is Zandvoort, then you use a lot of dynamic camber.
When I set a car up, I find or try and find the optimum aero, then I do a few laps adjusting it up, more rear aero, and see how that effects lap time. If I get slower I leave it there, but it has to be done for each circuit.
There is also camber generated by suspension deflection, I usually test the by lowering and raising the suspension to get an idea of the amount of change, it all ends up as a black art.
I sort of create in my head an idea of what is happening as I corner, then create a camber setting. Finally selecting it with some observation, assumptions, testing, stop watch.
This is a really complex subject, most information is either hidden or locked away in software, I am also isolated from any information too. There are people on this forum that are so so much better than I am at this. For many reasons, not only are they much smarter, they also have access to people and information that I don’t. For me, I rely more on it being a black art rather than an exact science.

I’ve come to the end of my waffling, hope it is of some use to someone.
The end.

PS,
that is the funny thing about setups, Han may and probably will say he is slower with my setup. As I said it’s all really a bit of a black art.
Actually, I didn't succeed to do one single lap with it without spinning:notworthy::confused::(:p. Apparently we have very different driving styles. So for tomorrow's event I hurried back to the Audi.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • More leagues

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • Prizes

Votes: 19 21.6%
  • Trophies

Votes: 9 10.2%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 5 5.7%