AC GT3 @ Mosport Park - Sunday 15th August 2021

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
@Interslice thanks for organising. I had some tracking issues with VR. Thought I had resolved it but I had a couple of view switches in the car, got away with first two but about 20 mins before the end I suddenly found myself below the steering wheel at the end of the back straight looking at foot pedals. Was a fun race while it lasted. Congratulations to the podiums.

Han, did you do much setup work beforehand?
Hi Colin,

I used my setup from Calabogie which I drove on softs. But the left front was getting red and had high wear on Mosport so I decided to race on Mediums. The rear became too loose with them so I reduced ARB rear with 1.
My third position was not because of my race pace. My lap times were far from the frontrunners but because of mistakes of John, George and Ringo Ernie and because the Nissan is strong on the straight I managed 3rd. For me it was all about consistency. I could hold Brian off although he was faster but he didn't changes tyres so with the pitstop he got a 10s gap with me which I couldn't reduce enough to get into attack range.
@Interslice : great tyre management, Brian :thumbsup: .

@HF2000 Han I nearly had you pal ☹️ or were you just teasing me?
Hi George,

No teasing, I was surprised that you had closed the gap that fast! With about 4 laps to go I made a small mistake and that blew my change of catching up with Brian. I lost concentration and did some terrible laps afterwards.

Hi Colin,

I used my setup from Calabogie which I drove on softs. But the left front was getting red and had high wear on Mosport so I decided to race on Mediums. The rear became too loose with them so I reduced ARB rear with 1.
My third position was not because of my race pace. My lap times were far from the frontrunners but because of mistakes of John, George and Ringo Ernie and because the Nissan is strong on the straight I managed 3rd. For me it was all about consistency. I could hold Brian off although he was faster but he didn't changes tyres so with the pitstop he got a 10s gap with me which I couldn't reduce enough to get into attack range.
@Interslice : great tyre management, Brian :thumbsup: .
I stuck with the softs and had the same overheating issue on the front left. Odd because I've never seen that before in all the races I've done with the Nissan. That tyre was in the red wear zone after 30mins. I'm surprised the left front was under such strain as this didn't seem a particularly odd track.

Hi George,

No teasing, I was surprised that you had closed the gap that fast! With about 4 laps to go I made a small mistake and that blew my change of catching up with Brian. I lost concentration and did some terrible laps afterwards.
You held it together well Han and deserved the podium very much. So did Brian. Two solid races from you both.
Patrick was another league.

I stuck with the softs and had the same overheating issue on the front left. Odd because I've never seen that before in all the races I've done with the Nissan. That tyre was in the red wear zone after 30mins. I'm surprised the left front was under such strain as this didn't seem a particularly odd track.
Well it has three high speed right corners (T1 Quebec and the one after the straight) where a lot of weight of the car is leaning on the front left. The tyre can only cool on the straight so you have also heated tyres in the slower right turns.

Could you go into more detail? What makes the car ill suited for the track?

i found the lambo to be more sensitive to steering, gas, breaks and it was more important to keep the car balanced, at least compared to the nissan. The back really wanted to step out if i slowed while turning.

It can feel heavy and unbalanced at times. It just doesn't seem to like long high speed corners particularly with a negative road camber. Tends to drift wide and loose alot of time to the other cars. One or two is fine if there is a good few slow corners onto straights to gain that time back.

From what I heard it looked like a great race for the podium and well done to Patrick, Brian and Han.
Back in the mid-field (where us mere mortals play:p) there was also lots of action brought about by me going wide on occasion and Mclarens spinning off. I got my usual bad start and was swamped by a trio of Mclarens in the hands of Pat, Hans- Peter and Mark. My only respite was the long straight were the Nissan could stretch its legs and this is were I could make up some ground as the softs suffered as the stint went on and it was as much as I could do to hang on, especially in Clayton.
I gambled on the softs as my times in practice on the mediums where not that impressive, but Han did a great job managing the race with the medium compound in the Nissan.

But some good clean racing with respect for other drivers, a pleasure to drive with you guys, and looking forward to the next one as my GT3 learning curve continues.:thumbsup:

If the nissans were successfully running softs on this track i was going to ban them :whistling: :roflmao:

Well it has three high speed right corners (T1 Quebec and the one after the straight) where a lot of weight of the car is leaning on the front left. The tyre can only cool on the straight so you have also heated tyres in the slower right turns.
It was only really in the red on the run up to the hairpin - just when you need the grip! It would then cool down a bit on the long straight. I guess tyre management is another aspect of this game. If you can manage on one set mediums then you can save a lot of time in the pit stop. But which is the quicker strategy? So many ooptions.

I choose the McLaren because I am as , “nearly” , as fast with softs or medium tyres.
I really tried to make it stable, which I achieved, unfortunately I just had one of those races were I just got it all wrong on race day. Happens to all of us at times, bad racing decisions and short sighted ones too during the race.
And that strange thing that on race day your pace leaves you, I have got into the 14,s with softs and not that far off with mediums. ( probably me leaving my feet on the pedals without knowing it ) :rolleyes:
At that point I knew I was onto a hiding.
I run a lot of wing for stability, so overtaking was not on the cards for me, but it gave me good average lap pace.
But having said that I was happy with qualifying position and could easily stay with the front two, unfortunately George was giving me grief which made the whole process stressful, the Rotter.
I know that because George was running a lower wing, he just slowly walked away from me on the up hill section when I was behind him. ( come to think of it he was catching on the uphill bit )

A lot of waffle to just say if you are having stability problems with the McLaren you may be short changing yourself with wing and a too aggressive a setup.
I would have gone for the Lamborghini here but decided it was a bit too clumsy for some corners here, so put my efforts into the McLaren. ( it certainly would have romped up the hill )
After talking to George, I realised that I have not had chance to perfect the McLaren setup, ( use it so rarely, not my bag, asks more from me than I can give ).
But that said the car was very good and fast and stable here, it was me having an off day, that was it’s downfall here, not the McLaren.:)

I choose the McLaren because I am as , “nearly” , as fast with softs or medium tyres.
I really tried to make it stable, which I achieved, unfortunately I just had one of those races were I just got it all wrong on race day. Happens to all of us at times, bad racing decisions and short sighted ones too during the race.
And that strange thing that on race day your pace leaves you, I have got into the 14,s with softs and not that far off with mediums. ( probably me leaving my feet on the pedals without knowing it ) :rolleyes:
At that point I knew I was onto a hiding.
I run a lot of wing for stability, so overtaking was not on the cards for me, but it gave me good average lap pace.
But having said that I was happy with qualifying position and could easily stay with the front two, unfortunately George was giving me grief which made the whole process stressful, the Rotter.
I know that because George was running a lower wing, he just slowly walked away from me on the up hill section when I was behind him. ( come to think of it he was catching on the uphill bit )

A lot of waffle to just say if you are having stability problems with the McLaren you may be short changing yourself with wing and a too aggressive a setup.
I would have gone for the Lamborghini here but decided it was a bit too clumsy for some corners here, so put my efforts into the McLaren. ( it certainly would have romped up the hill )
After talking to George, I realised that I have not had chance to perfect the McLaren setup, ( use it so rarely, not my bag, asks more from me than I can give ).
But that said the car was very good and fast and stable here, it was me having an off day, that was it’s downfall here, not the McLaren.:)
I haven't done many races here bit I'm yet to get into the 14s Ernie :thumbsdown:

This was my best quali lap of 1:17.374

Clayton was a bit wide but not sure it made much difference, At no point have I been close to getting it in a 1:16

Your corner entry look off. It looks like you are going too slow and early into all the corners. Hitting an early apex and searching for the second later one. I'd guess that's due to trying to manage the cooking front tyres and you probably would have found the faster lines if you stuck with the mediums.

Looking at clayton again, it really messed up your quebec because you can't get back over to the left.

Last edited:
I agree with Brian, you are either carrying too much speed or not enough.

The Nissans strength is power, you are not on the throttle enough to take advantage of that.
Mediums, the Nissan does not like, but here you had no option really.
Did you use the setup I gave you!
best advice :-
With a bit of luck, Rasmus may take over this topic for you, he is very competent at this, more so than i.

This was my best quali lap of 1:17.374

Clayton was a bit wide but not sure it made much difference, At no point have I been close to getting it in a 1:16
The lines aren't perfect but they're okay and will become better when the setup becomes more suited.
It's understeery as heck!

First things I notice:
- car isn't over rotating on you under braking
- car is understeering without throttle
- car is understeering on throttle

Can you attach the setup to that lap? I'll do a few laps myself and report back.
From what I see the front ARB needs to be softer, front suspension needs to be softer, wing needs to be lower, brake bias 2% rearwards (lower), maybe coast diff one click lower and power diff a click higher.

TC should be set to 3.

The Nissan has massive mid corner understeer and you can't really do anything about that. The issue is that this track has these looooong bends. The Nissan only works well when brakes and throttle can have a little overlap.
You have a lot of periods without any pedal inputs. That's an issue with the Nissan.

So you need to make the car turning while braking and while accelerating. And make it at least turn a bit more when not giving pedal input.
But this means a bit of oversteer when giving pedal input.

The good thing about the Nissan is that you can almost always catch it!

Last edited:
The lines aren't perfect but they're okay and will become better when the setup becomes more suited.
It's understeery as heck!

First things I notice:
- car isn't over rotating on you under braking
- car is understeering without throttle
- car is understeering on throttle

Can you attach the setup to that lap? I'll do a few laps myself and report back.
From what I see the front ARB needs to be softer, front suspension needs to be softer, wing needs to be lower, brake bias 2% rearwards (lower), maybe coast diff one click lower and power diff a click higher.

TC should be set to 3.

The Nissan has massive mid corner understeer and you can't really do anything about that. The issue is that this track has these looooong bends. The Nissan only works well when brakes and throttle can have a little overlap.
You have a lot of periods without any pedal inputs. That's an issue with the Nissan.

So you need to make the car turning while braking and while accelerating. And make it at least turn a bit more when not giving pedal input.
But this means a bit of oversteer when giving pedal input.

The good thing about the Nissan is that you can almost always catch it!
Attached is the setup used for the lap. Not much changed from base apart from soft tyres (with the hot front left), tyre pressure, gearing and aero.

I be interested to know what time you can do with that setup compared to the setup changes you propose. Thanks

Attachments

• Mosport-GTR.ini
    1.7 KB · Views: 50

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back