AC GT3 @ Brands Hatch - Sunday 10th January 2021

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
@RasmusP

Interesting what you said about the 911 gearing, I find that I am usually quicker running the rev limiter for a short period, and not changing into the next gear.
It may be very slightly quicker, changing the gear, but it seems to overload my concentration, then I tend to make bad judgements on that corner entry.
The problem, especially in the lower gears, you cannot make small incremental changes, usually.

Its not, come along and give it a go, then you'll know for sure. Imagine not eating Jammie Dodgers your whole life because you thought they looked horrible then finding out in your 60s that they were amazing!

I'm new too, come join me at the back and work your way up as you learn more. There is a place for everyone.

I'd like to... perhaps in the next race. I tried a few different GT3 cars around that track, and well, if there's a 107% qualifying rule, I am just outside 107% of GeekyDeaks low 1:25... so whoever the pole is, heck i wouldn't qualify for the race lol. I've never driven a GT3 car around brands hatch, and it's very tough for me. The course is too tight and bumpy to be racy. I could get around in a comfy 1:35, but my fastest time yesterday (and track record) is 1:30.558. Man... 1:25... I mean, I know I can go faster, and need to set the car up (I ran the car stock except for tire pressure / gear ratio changes) and I didn't really run more than 4 laps in each car... but to gain another 6 seconds seems impossible.

I will have to look into it, but I do feel there's a lot going on, and I feel like I still don't know everything I need to know to join the racing. Siging up here, using those apps.. I have ACCM... See I don't think I know what's needed.

Last edited:
All that matters is that you treat catching blue flags with care, even going out of your way to help them past.
As your pace increases, you will do it less and less, you need the experience of being in a race more than just trying to match times that you see. start at the back, try and hang on.
if it gets too much return to the pits, and watch the race by jumping into different cars. most of us know all too well what seeing that blue flags mean, it just that I am quite used to it now. :)
You need a reference, these races are for fun, not a league, not serious.
you need:-
helicorse, too see how close other driver are to you
realtime , to see who is catching and how big the gap is.
tyres, to see the temps, someone will give you the correct pressures,

just one point, we sometimes do le mans races, my gt3 car is well outside the 107% of the lmp1 cars.;)

learning is by far the most fun in the sim racing thing.

I've never driven a GT3 car around brands hatch, and it's very tough for me
If this is your first outing in GT3 at Brands, then sticking in a 1:30 in 4 laps is better than I started at a few months ago. I don't usually get to practice much before a race, but because there was no Wednesday race, I used that time for this Sunday. At the start I was a comfortable 1:28. Looked at my replays and realised I was leaving tons of room on the track. Did another hour and got it down another 2 seconds getting closer to the track edge, then Rasmus helped me knock close to another second off. Probably not much more in me without a lot of practice now. Check your replays for how much room you are leaving.

There are a few apps to use, but I'd say just have a go and see how you get on. I messed up my settings on the first race or two, but you have to try it to figure out what works.

Also, it's not just about the times. People make mistakes and that can cost a lot of time. Keeping it on the track with others around is an important skill to practice

@racer-frank-83 Starting out i forgot about pace altogether. Only interest was in things and goals like get to the end without spinning, get the pitstops and fuel right, gain more time in the seat of a car, learn the track, let lapping cars past efficiently, car setup, finish the race/don't come last (usually the same thing). Second time out in a car track combo a few months down the road i might then think about keeping pace with someone.

These are my Brands' Hatch laptimes since installing ACCM. I'd really like to get into the group, but I feel anxiety about it and need some time to get collected. Should I start with a clean ACCM install / removing all mods and tracks? (they're backed up anyway)

Attachments

• BH-GP-lap-times.JPG
    BH-GP-lap-times.JPG
    283.9 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
These are my Brands' Hatch laptimes since installing ACCM. I'd really like to get into the group, but I feel anxiety about it and need some time to get collected. Should I start with a clean ACCM install / removing all mods and tracks? (they're backed up anyway)

I really wouldn't worry about lap times at all. There are plenty of people here who started at the back and have made their way to the midpack and front through practice, but there's no pressure to do that even -- it's all about what you want, we'll support anyone who is a clean racer no matter how quick :thumbsup:

When I first came to rd, I had no clue about how online racing worked or what to do, what I needed etc etc.
Completely overwhelmed haha.

I practiced for 5 hours for the fiat 500 at zandvoort.
Thought I'd be right at the limit. Then got last with 15s gap to the second last.. At least I didn't get lapped. But it was also only a 30 minute race haha.

So don't get too worried, just practice a bit so you can stay on the track and keep some overview so when a blue flag appears, you'll be able to keep driving normally and have a look in the mirrors haha.
During my first races I had full on tunnel view and a heartbeat of 180 bpm :roflmao:

Only important rules are to be careful as you would be in real life (brake a bit earlier for the first corner, don't try to overtake everyone in the first few corners etc) and if you touch someone and he spins, wait for him (golden rule).

After a few weeks, you'll get to know how everything works and automatically become faster and enjoy the races a bit more week after week :)

What is the next race (track / weather / cars?) I want to practice.
Track: send a pm to Chris. We like to get "surprised" every week but if a newcomer wants to feel a bit more prepared, he might tell you :)

Weather: we keep it simple here. Mid-clear, 20° air, 27° road, 100% grip

Cars: Wednesday is changing but the Sundays are gt3 races so... Always the same, gt3s :p

A few tips:

1. Your entry into Paddock Hill bend is a bit skewwhiff, you move towards the inside a bit, then go out again, then in again. Try staying to the left longer and making the corner just one in and one out motion.
  2. You can legally use more of the track out of Druids.
  3. Same as #1 for Surtees. To gain time here, you need to be more confident with the width of the car, so you can keep tracking the edge of the track without touching the grass, then sweep it in.
  4. You can legally use more of the track out of Hawthorn.
  5. Seems like you're sliding quite a bit, maybe consider increasing the aero or camber depending on what the reason for breaking grip is.
Thanks Scott and Chris. These tips helped me shave off time and turn some 1.25s finally. Great stuff.:thumbsup:

@RasmusP

Interesting what you said about the 911 gearing, I find that I am usually quicker running the rev limiter for a short period, and not changing into the next gear.
It may be very slightly quicker, changing the gear, but it seems to overload my concentration, then I tend to make bad judgements on that corner entry.
The problem, especially in the lower gears, you cannot make small incremental changes, usually.
What do you mean exactly? I too find it to be quicker to prioritise a clean turn in and clean cornering over the perfect rpm.
When not shifting into the next gear for 50m, you might lose 5 km/h, but you also don't have the short drop during the upshift.
While you might easily lose 5-10 km/h throughout the whole turn!

But I don't really know what you mean by "what I said about the Porsche" :roflmao:
I'm using only 5 gears to shift less and keep it cleaner. Did you mean that?

That is basically what I am saying , in a not very understanding way Rasmus.

I find grabbing 5th gear just before the second to last corner, then having to go down 2 gears, makes me loose the rhythm of that corner, invariably messing it up.

if I hang onto 4th gear, obviously sitting on the Rev limit, I may loose a bit of time, then only with 1 downshift, gives just that extra bit of time to sort the corner better.

if only I could add a couple of mph to fourth with out messing the whole gear range up. :(

Should I start with a clean ACCM install / removing all mods and tracks? (they're backed up anyway)
I would not worry much about a clean install. Some tracks/cars have updates that require removing the old ones first, but they seem few and far between. Main thing is to get TeamSpeak working for you so you can listen for instructions at the start and chat with the group if you are that way inclined (I'm a bit of quiet soul myself) - If you are setting it up for Push-To-Talk from a button on your wheel you might need the joystick plugin for TS or something like that to get it to work

If there is one thing I would recommend to install over everything else, I'd say take a look at Crew Chief (http://thecrewchief.org/). I rely on it more than I rely on the radar apps to tell me when others are near, but it's also good for other stuff straight out the box, like letting you know if you are nearly out of fuel or have tyre wear etc...

I had to mess around with the sound mixer settings a bit to ensure I could hear everything in the correct priority (i.e. TS loudest, then CC, then AC)

This all might seem like a lot of faff, but once you are setup you should be able to just fire up the apps and go

Finally, you might want to try running a big grid with the AI prior to the event to check you are not likely to have performance issues going into T1 at the start.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • More leagues

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Prizes

• Trophies

• Forum trophies

Votes: 0 0.0%