GPL fanatic here, Is there a 67 F1 Mod thats good ?

I know little of programming, but I have been driving racing sims since GPL was first released. I've enjoyed several races with this mod and greatly appreciate the efforts of its creators. It's a lot better, in my opinion, than what we had before its introduction. Perhaps those programming experts who see room for improvement can find a way to contribute to that improvement.

Did you follow the installation instructions? 2 of the cars require files from another car to be copied into their folder.
Thanks Ryno, yeah, followed the instructions. All the mods seem to work if I race with all the AI as the same car. When I select the other 67 cars in 'opponents' is when the problem occurs. :(

Thanks Ryno, yeah, followed the instructions. All the mods seem to work if I race with all the AI as the same car. When I select the other 67 cars in 'opponents' is when the problem occurs. :(

Try racing against one different car a time to narrow down which of the cars is the issue.

Or have a look for the errors in your log file. It should point out the culprit.

Read the instructions.

You need to 'steal' the Kunos models for this mod to work.

Personally I shall be sticking to the Lotus 49 and Ferrari 312/67 by Kunos :( This mod feels like someone trying recreate GPL, rather than recreate the real cars. It's like a copy of a copy :unsure:

It's always interested me that some consider the 20-year-old GPL to be the gold standard and some consider it highly unrealistic. While I did my share of racing real cars in the 1960s, I certainly never had a chance to drive an F1 car. I found the GPL cars challenging but they seemed even more treacherous than I would imagine they actually were. I just hope this mod inspires a renewed effort to create a reasonably realistic 1967 F1 experience, whatever that requires. I'd be the first to make the effort but, unfortunately, have to admit I totally lack the necessary skills.

You need to 'steal' the Kunos models for this mod to work.
"Borrow" ;) :D

Personally I shall be sticking to the Lotus 49 and Ferrari 312/67 by Kunos :( This mod feels like someone trying recreate GPL, rather than recreate the real cars. It's like a copy of a copy :unsure:
I always thought that was the goal from the start, to recreate GPL in AC. That's why I don't use the mod, although I tried it of course and I find it OK.

As much as I loved driving GPL back in '98 (pre FFB) I often hear people talk about how the cars in GPL are much more slidey than they were in real life. I'm tempted to go back and try it again, I should still have my original copy lying around somewhere.

As much as I loved driving GPL back in '98 (pre FFB) I often hear people talk about how the cars in GPL are much more slidey than they were in real life. I'm tempted to go back and try it again, I should still have my original copy lying around somewhere.

Well, for three years there has been a '67 Historical mod available for GPL, revising the stock physics and adding all missing cars from the season, a kind of like GPL-as-it-was-meant-to-be. It's a welcomed addition to original release, though a bit difficult to install and manage. I still drive it from time to time.

I may have been a little bit hasty in my first assessment of these cars :redface:

I have just spent 30mins hotlapping in the Honda RA300 I really like it. It's controllable and easy to drive at moderate speeds but really comes alive when you (try) and push it hard. I think I was probably just a bit disappointed the first time I tried it. I'm not sure what I was expecting it to feel like, but it just felt 'different' to how I thought it would.

If anything, my main criticism would be that it feels a little too safe. Like the default setup is too soft and fluffy, if you know what I mean. The Kunos '67 cars start out quite aggressive out of the box and I find I have to dial in some softness to the handling. The Honda RA300 feels like the other way round.

So, in short, I apologise to the mod creators. I was overly harsh in my previous judgement, and I will certainly be spending some more time getting to know these cars one by one.

I chose not to "meld" the Kunos Lotus & Ferrari with the mods in this pack because it's likely RD and SRS will feature races with the Kunos cars but a race with this Legends pac is not very likely.

That said, given my shaky knowledge of copyright, I've been under the impression that modding a Kunos car or track was a big no-no.

The more I drive these cars, the more I enjoy them. I've done at least 5 "Race Weekends" at 5 different tracks now, mostly testing the various cars, and have had a ball doing it. To be honest, I prefer the Kunos Lotus ... it seems to suit my driving style best, but I've enjoyed all of them so far.

Last edited:
I chose not to "meld" the Kunos Lotus & Ferrari with the mods in this pack because it's likely RD and SRS will feature races with the Kunos cars but a race with this Legends pac is not very likely.

The pack doesn't overight or change anything about the Kunos cars, just uses their .kn5 files for its own version of the cars. Both the mod cars and the Kunos cars can live side by side on your computer without any issue

Very nice work indeed guys.
For someone who has decades more driving experience in real life then sims I think the handling is responsive and feels more realistic. The slow speed slide is more in sync with reality for sure in these cars. (my friends call AC's slow speed slide the 'for ever slide') I guess its much more obvious when you're not driving AC all the time?

One thing's for sure, Kunos has created one hell of a sim playground for us drivers and moders. Can't wait to see what tomorrow brings.
Would be nice to see a donation option for Kunos as well to support a small update team for any little oficiale updates.

Thank you all for this great, safe and clean hobby.

What a ride!

Veery immersive mod! Done a race with 20 cars at Kyalami 67... brilliant experience in VR...

The .pdf files that are attached to the download are very entertaining and useful. The last page of the .pdf not only has the stats for the 1967 season but also lists where most (AC is missing LeMans Bugatti track and Magdalena Mixhuca for the French and Mexican GP's) of the tracks to replicate the 1967 season, AND lists the tracks WITH LINKS to where they can be found. Very Cool!

Still having a good time with GP Legends V2.0, I've done 250km to over 500km with each at Zandvoort 67, Kyalami 1967, Monza 66 and Silverstone 1967. The Brabham had massive understeer for me. I was able to dial some of it out and learned how to drive it a little better. The Eagle was way too quick on turn in and oversteer on throttle, made some adjustments in setup and driving style and I'm now getting up to speed. BRM is just a hoot sliiiiiiiiiiding around Silverstone.

I just got back into sim racing at the beginning of the year after being away from GPL
and the NASCAR sims since 2005. Earlier this year I got my GPL system going and acclimated myself to driving GPL again. https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/show-your-cockpit.19/page-175#post-2869990
After some crashing and numerous spins I started to get the hang of it again by completing races with the AI and getting down to 1:29s at Monza and 3:20s at Spa.

Last night I fired up GPL for a back to back comparison...…...couldn't even make a lap around Monza without spinning, wheels flying off, landing upside down or crashing and burning. Trying to use an analog gameport wheel and pedals after using modern FFB wheel and loadcell brake for the past 8 months just was not working for me.

KO

Try racing against one different car a time to narrow down which of the cars is the issue.

Or have a look for the errors in your log file. It should point out the culprit.
Hi Ryno or anyone else interested or having these issues.
Still having the problem. So I downloaded AC 'content manager'. With it you can select a mod and press 'analyze'. Some of the mods came up with sound errors in regard to rpm limiter being different from the original and goes on to say the sound comes from a different mod (a ginetta in this case). It has a 'fix button' but wont allow you to select the sound from the original mod, saying ';error, source and destination are the same'. Deleting the ginetta mod did'nt work either as another mod comes up in its place. Tried verify integrity of game files in steam, nothing works. AArrrgghh! :)

I still have the old GPL installed on a FAT partition my HDD. Although fully modded with all that was put out till around 2005-6, when giving it a go nowaday, I find myself fairly unimpressed with the game. Today, how the cars slide around seems ridiculous, but that just shows how far Sim racing has come in those 20 years.
We must not forget, that back in 1998, there was no sim on the market, that even tried to replicate how real cars drove. And then, out of nowhere, came Grand Prix Legends.
Not only did it take driving physics seriously, but it also replicated the glorious GP cars of those days, when people like Stewart, Rindt, Hill, Clark, Ickx, well, there is almost none in the 1967 field who is not an icon today, were racing.
So, if you were a petrol head back in those days and had a computer, you have been playing games like F1 Grand prix, GP2, Indy500, Indycar racing. And then, with a bang, comes GPL, out of nowhere, and it immediately was in a league of its own, completely.

Therefore, I really like this GPL v2.0 mod, and am for ever grateful that Bazza and his team have dedicated their time to update and polish these cars and make them work in Assetto Corsa.
Of Course, the renaming of the v2 version of the mod to GPL, may be a bit unlucky, and also, me personally, I would have put less emphasis on trying to replicate the original GPL cars handling,
but we should take this mod for what it actually is, and that is the perfect kit to build our own 1967 F1 season. GPL is a legacy as a computer game, but it is the legacy of these old 1967 Grand Prix cars, that I'm really longing for.
Like Alfie, I'm also solely driving the original Kunos 49 and 312/67 cars, and run those two alongside the other cars of the mod. For this the mod is damn near perfect.
Add to this the historic Kunos tracks, or the old Spa and Monaco tracks of AC.reboot, and you are, well, at least I am, in an old mans sim racing heaven.

I understand, that there are still issues pending with regards to the origins of the models itself, and the textures used, but given that there are no other choices if one fancies those old GP cars, in this case, I do choose to overlook that aspect. If I'm in the middle of the desert, and someone is offering a bottle of water for free, I will amicably overlook from whose well the water came.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.