• Welcome to the largest (sim) racing website in the world!
    Blurring the line between real and virtual motorsports.

Giedo van der Garde wins Sauber court case

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by Howard, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Smartbean

Smartbean

Ratings:
    +78
    BREAKING: Appeal has been dismissed.

Meaning Sauber lost it's appeal and the judgement of the original case stands. ie. VDG should be allowed to drive. Now we have to wait and see what Sauber does. Is it going to change it's driver line up, does VDG's Superlicence going to be applied and granted in time and does he gets his seat measured in on time.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  2. Smartbean

Smartbean

Ratings:
    +78
    It seems not over yet though, both sides are back in the court room (with the same judge as on Monday and Wednesday) because VDG legal team are trying to get a enforcement order in case Sauber doesn't comply with the judgement.

They are talking about a 'freezing order' to potential sequestration of Sauber's assets and committal of its directors if the team doesn't comply.

VDG Legal team asked for a full list of Sauber's assets in Australia and the judge agrees and asks Sauber to provide a full list of assets.

Adam Cooper @adamcooperF1 · 1m1 minute ago
    Court proceedings will continue tomorrow at 1030am, ie two hours before practice starts. And so the saga continues...

Adam Cooper @adamcooperF1 · 14s14 seconds ago
    To clarify what's happening, @GvanderGarde has filed a Contempt of Court Application to force @SauberF1Team to comply with the order

Adam Cooper @adamcooperF1 · 3m3 minutes ago
    If @SauberF1Team hasn't taken steps by 1030am Friday to comply and allow @GvanderGarde to drive, sequestration orders could follow

Adam Cooper @adamcooperF1 · 51s52 seconds ago
    And then we get into potential seizing of the @SauberF1Team assets in the paddock and action against Monisha Kaltenborn as a director

Regarding the Super Licence that VDG still needs to get:

Adam Cooper @adamcooperF1 · 59m59 minutes ago
    Meanwhile @GvanderGarde tells me he's pretty confident that the superlicence can be fast tracked. He's been in touch with the Dutch ASN

And from http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2015/03/12/sauber-lose-appeal-against-van-der-garde?
    And from http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/1...r-court-rules-giedo-van-der-garde-should-race

• Like Like x 1
  3. Nox

Nox
    Premium

Ratings:
    +2,331
    @Smartbean thanks for all the updates, it really helps to follow along right here on RD

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r
    Premium

Ratings:
    +1,586
    Damn. This is getting silly now. Sauber should just let him drive this weekend, and try to enforce some performance clause as soon as possible. He's not that talented, so it might happen sooner than they think. And he might even crash out on his own in Melbourne if they're lucky.

Not that I agree with Sauber with this one - obviously Van der Garde is totally within his rights, and if they had enough money, the obvious thing to do, would've been to disobey the last signed contract.

Seriously, what did they think will happen? Sign 4 race contracts for 2 driving seats, and hope Sutil and Van der Garde just "forget" that they're employed for 2015? Scratching my head at the logic.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Smartbean

Smartbean

Ratings:
    +78
    Thanks :) but don't forget @Ole Marius Myrvold he provided most of the stuff though

• Love Love x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Kjell Eilertsen

Kjell Eilertsen

Ratings:
    +1,263
    What a mess, can't for the life of me think of a happy outcome for this clusterfart.
    And if Sauber let's him drive will he just stroll into the paddock as if nothing has happened? If so he's got a stronger stomach than I do, I would not feel welcome after all this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r
    Premium

Ratings:
    +1,586
    It's not his cockup. He's got nothing to feel guilty about.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. Kjell Eilertsen

Kjell Eilertsen

Ratings:
    +1,263
    Agreed, but I don't need to feel guilty to feel unwelcome, it's two very different things.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Yuri

Yuri
    VELES LMP2 #21

Ratings:
    +546
    Yes I know I wouldn't be all happy about driving for a team that tried to prevent me to come into the team in court. Going to be a bit awkward

10. Stefan Woudenberg

Stefan Woudenberg
    Premium

Ratings:
    +1,753
    I wonder if we will see VDG on the grid this sunday.... If not, there might be no Sauber car at all.

Sauber may go bankrupt and GDV father in law buys the team.....

When Peter Sauber was leading the team I thought it was a nice team, but now with that dragon leading..... I wouldn't care less. Too bad for the people who have to work under her....

11. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r
    Premium

Ratings:
    +1,586
    If Sauber make a guy that they chose to contract in the first place, feel guilty because they couldn't make sound business decisions, then maybe they're not professional enough any more to remain in F1.

I'm pretty sure once he gets in the car, they will do their best to accommodate him.

12. TTupsi

TTupsi
    Rules are overrated, choose Wreckfest Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +1,249
    Also, I'm sure vdG has lots of friends and sympathy in the Sauber team. He was part of the team last season already so he knows the people. I think it's mostly Monish and other leading personnel that might be "against him". I don't think the race engineers or mechanics would see Giedo as the badboy in this situation.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Jimlaad43

Jimlaad43
    Nice apex, I'll take it! Premium

Ratings:
    +5,963
    Maybe Sauber should just do the weekend like they were a WEC team. When they pit, swap Ericcson out and put VDG in the car :roflmao:

• Haha Haha x 2
  14. the_sigman

the_sigman

Ratings:
    +1,995
    Or get a two seater for Nasr and Ericsson. Driver to be decided by Rock-Paper-Scissors.

• Haha Haha x 3
  15. Shane Butler

Shane Butler

Ratings:
    +750
    Or this might be a better option..

[​IMG]

• Haha Haha x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Smartbean

Smartbean

Ratings:
    +78
    Hmm in anticipation of tonights/friday mornings Contempt of Court Application hearing, this article from TheJudge13 http://thejudge13.com/2015/03/12/saubers-options/ states that Giedo still holds a valid "FIA class A competition license", which does allow him to participate in FP1 (maybe FP2 as well?). Only to participate in qualifying and the race he would need the full Super License.

So Sauber could already comply with the court order even though he hasn't got his Super License yet, but the complete silence for the Sauber camp suggests that they are deliberately doing nothing and thus preventing Giedo from participating. I think Justice Croft is going to make mince meat from Sauber tonight.

• Beer Beer x 2
  17. Smartbean

Smartbean

Ratings:
    +78
    VDG seems to be at the Paddock of the Melbourne track.

Adam Cooper @adamcooperF1 · 15m15 minutes ago
    '@GvanderGarde has his paddock pass and is at the track this morning. He might be chased by a few photographers and TV crews...

And as the Contempt Court Application Hearing is minutes away, Sauber seems to ask the FIA for a driver substitute:
    iRacer ‏@iRacerOfficial 1m1 minute ago
    Sauber F1 are in communications with the @fia to apply for a driver change in accordance with todays court rulings

• Like Like x 1
  18. Ole Marius Myrvold

Ole Marius Myrvold
    JWB 96-13 Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +3,501
    Yup, and another round in court atm.

Adam Cooper @adamcooperF1 · 5m5 minutes ago
    Back in court for the latest episode - it's just starting

Adam Cooper @adamcooperF1 · 3m3 minutes ago
    '@GvanderGarde lawyer says @SauberF1Team confirmed last night that it terminated contract lawfully and won't tell CRB otherwise...

Meanwhile

Tobias Grüner AMuS @tgruener · 2m2 minutes ago
    #F1 Van der Garde right now is doing his seat fitting behind the closed garage door using Ericssons car. #AMuS
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Ole Marius Myrvold

Ole Marius Myrvold
    JWB 96-13 Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +3,501
    I'm also leaving this here.
    Fast Forward to 1.18 an hear Nico Hülkenberg say " "I'm not surprised, I know the people (........) Still I think it's not the way to do business and screw people like this"
    And some more!"

20. Smartbean

Smartbean

Ratings:
    +78
    This on it's own proves that Sauber is preventing GVDG to get his Super License in time, thus they are in violation of the order to "refrain from any action that would prevent GVDG from racing". Therefore, they should be in contempt.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.