Formula W: A New Series for Female Racers Announced.

I suppose division generates more $ than inclusion. Why not allow women to race in all the formulas/classes already there?
There is no gender rule whatsoever in the FIA rulebook. Any gender/race is welcome to drive any class she/he/shemale wants to enter. A raceteam would get massive loads of positive attention for having a female driver, as long as she performs well. But that counts for any race-driver. Be really fast or bring enough money to make up for it.

Here's what I'm afraid of. We already have feeder series for Formula One, Like F3, F2, etc., and many of the best driver get promoted. But, too often we see someone like Lando Norris, who isn't at the very top of his series, getting promoted just because McLaren has an opening. How many other drivers, who might be better, are getting passed over?

My point is this. We are going to end up with a certain team, let's say it's Mercedes, with a sister team like Williams or Force India, with a seat open up. I'm just curious if Mercedes will ever feel obligated to fill the seat with a woman from the Formula W series just because "it's time" or "it's the fair thing". She might not be the best available, but she might get lucky with this arrangement.

I say that it is entirely possible the top 20 drivers in the world just might be all men. And the top 20 are the drivers who belong in Formula One.

I want to know when the series is going to be created for "slightly over-weight middle-aged men who never got the opportunity to take up go-karts as a kid", 'cos I'll be there like a shot!!

Everyone starts out with an equal chance of making it in racing, surely?

I asked my wife about the idea of Formula-W this morning, and she replied "What's the point?! If they're good enough then they'll get a seat in F1 anyway."

Well, I guess it might help women get more interested in motorsport in parts of the world where there's hardly anyone coming in at the bottom, but this is not the right way to do it to get any depth of participation. Put this money into grass-roots efforts, there'd be a much bigger reward. Give Leena Gade 10 minutes to think of something, I'm sure it'd be massively more useful.

I checked this year's Ginetta Jr's - two girls. I'd love to see equality in participation, but it's quite possible there just isn't equality of interest. We should really make an effort to find out if that's true - at low levels though. This series is for women who've already got established & are obviously driven enough to make it *without* gender-specific help, that's far too late for any real benefit from it. There are enough winners at top level to show that women are equally capable of winning motor races - I can't think of any motor racing job that either gender can't do equally well, frankly.

David Coulthard thinks Formula W is essential to see the development of competitive women in motorsport
But why? Look, if a woman is good enough to compete at the top level and wants to, that's great no problem.

The thing I have with this kind of thinking though, is people think there's a problem because there's no "x type of person" or not enough "x type person" in this sport, or that profession, etc, etc. They're trying to fix a problem that might not there to begin with. If there is some kind of discrimination going on that's keeping certain people out of a sport, field of study, career, etc, then that definitely needs to be addressed and corrected. But this idea that everything needs to always have equal representation is getting silly.

Again, if it's realized that there is some kind of discrimination going on that's keeping certain people from doing something, then yes, that absolutely needs to be fixed. But if it's purely a lack of interest from those people, then stop trying to fix **** that isn't broke.

There is no physical reason why a female should be less equiped to race a car.
In fact, there are two reasons why women don't really shine in Motorsports, one is physical, because they have different distance/3d perception and the second is psychological and it's called "Reproduction Instinct". Nothing sexist in there, just facts.
Of/f course, there could be exceptions...

Edit: And it's the purpose of this new championship, trying to find those "exceptions"!

Last edited:
Dumb.

In a sport, where women could (in theory) compete 100% with men, due to no excessive amount of physical force required... let's make them their own series, where you don't have to be as good. To prove women are equal

Well I guess the progress achieved by removing grid girls had to be countered somehow

Last edited:
In fact, there are two reasons why womens don't really shine in Motorsports, one is physical, because they have different distance/3d perception and the second is psychological and it's called "Reproduction Instinct". Nothing sexist in there, just facts.
Of/f course, there could be exceptions...
are they the same reasons why no woman has ever shone in athletics or tennis ?

And THIS RIGHT HERE (Aside from not enough parents encouraging girls to pursue a racing career) is why women, despite showing the talent and drive to succeed in racing, don't get near the top seats more often than not...this sexist attitude displayed right here and in a few other posts in this thread alone. The top echelons of motorsport, from the sanctioning bodies, to team owners and principals and the sponsors that support them...nearly all run by men. No matter what they tell you publicly, I believe they would rather have their racing series die than see a woman dominate in a field of male drivers. Not all men feel this way I know, but enough do to keep women from climbing the ranks.

Heck, we can't even agree as a planet to give women 100% equal pay for equal work...yet somehow I must believe all the pieces are there for a woman to make her way up the ranks in Formula 1 without any roadblocks due to gender discrimination? Come on.

As long as you don't have to be a 800 pound gorilla to turn a steering wheel and push the pedals, women should compete in the same racing series as men, period. Formula W is a joke. Why Susie Wolff was relegated to brief test driver status while Lance Stroll gets a seat in Formula 1, I'll never understand. Really hope hearts and minds change by the time someone like Juju Noda is old enough for a FIA Super License.

Last edited by a moderator:
?
are they the same reasons why no woman has ever shone in athletics or tennis ?
Do you risk your life in Tennis? Please don't go sarcastic if you want us to exchange cordially.
It's neither secret nor sexist to say that women have less accurate distance evaluating than men, it's just a fact. And evaluating a distance from a standing point on few meters is not the same than judging it from a moving base at 300km/h.

Last edited:
And THIS RIGHT HERE (Aside from not enough parents encouraging girls to pursue a racing career) is why women, despite showing the talent and drive to succeed in racing, don't get near the top seats more often than not...this sexist attitude displayed right here and in a few other posts in this thread alone. The top echelons of motorsport, from the sanctioning bodies, to team owners and principals and the sponsors that support them...nearly all run by men. No matter what they tell you publicly, I believe they would rather have their racing series die than see a woman dominate in a field of male drivers. Not all men feel this way I know, but enough do to keep women from climbing the ranks.

Heck, we can't even agree as a planet to give women 100% equal pay for equal work...yet somehow I must believe all the pieces are there for a woman to make her way up the ranks in Formula 1 without any roadblocks due to gender discrimination? Come on..

bart-gets-an-elephant12.png

Totally agree. Some of the posts in this thread could have been posted in the 1950s. Some parts of society have no wish to progress their thinking and their way of life at all. Thankfully I don't live in those societies and I never will. If my daughter wants to become a professional race driver and is good enough to be one, she will be one.

@Paul Jeffrey I'm jealous that you get to cover this story; check this promo video.

The first twitter account shown at the end of the video never made this tweet (T-Roll182). In fact the account hasn't been active since 2009.

The comment by TT_52, this twitter account also doesn't exist, and that sentiment was actually expressed by Carmen Jorda, a female open wheel driver. So they are taking something a female driver said, then spinning it around and pretending a man said it (reading it in a condescending male voice), and then using this as "inspiration" for their video.

So not only are they advocating for segregation in a sport that traditionally has never had it, but they're also outright lying in their marketing.

?

Do you risk your life in Tennis? Please don't go sarcastic if you want us to exchange cordially.
It's neither secret nor sexist to say that women have less accurate distance evaluating than men, it's just a fact. And evaluating a distance from a standing point on few meters is not the same than judging it from a moving base at 300km/h.

I wasn't being sarcastic, simply exposing a foolhardy idea for what it is

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea