Formula W: A New Series for Female Racers Announced.

I would like to see links to studies showing such numbers. I can only speak for what I have seen firsthand.

My wife and I were both teachers in the same school, teaching elective subjects. Both of us are the same age, working the same hours. She was paid less. There is truth to the gender gap, if you want to see it (not saying you don't, but they're always those who shout conspiracy theory whenever something threatens their dominance).

My wife is the Head Teacher of our local primary school. Out of a total staff of around 40 people, one teaching assistant is male. No teachers, no cleaners, no admin staff... Now, is that because my wife is sexist and only employs females? Or is it because the vast majority of males have no interest in working with children?

So, are there very few women in motorsport because they are discriminated against, or because the vast majority have no interest in it?

Should we start a new school where only men can be teachers? (just to give those poor blokes a chance to excel).

So, my two cents on this...

Overall, I think it's a good idea. With just six events per season, the average Formula 3/Formula 4/GT Masters/whatever calendar would allow for someone to contest this series AS AN ADDITION to their regular programme. It's not intended as a substitution. That's the key point.

If they went and said "Oh look, if you can't make it against the guys, try this", I'd be all against it. But like this, it's a bit like the UFC's Ultimate Fighter: You take some talented girls and pit them against each other, and the winner get's some pretty neat funding for their next season.

I completely understand that some - both men and women - oppose the idea, but I think they should see this as what it is: A privately-funded scholarship programme. It's NOT the first step towards an all-female F1 spin-off, but an addition to help women on their way to the top of motorracing.

In (most) western countries its illegal to discriminate against gender. If it were not the case then why were you hired? The school could have easily replaced you with a cheaper option. If we could look closely at the details of how each of you were paid, no doubt we would see the difference in rates. Broadly stating that you both worked at the same place but I got more because... does not then prove the gender pay gap.

You have a weak position when you lean on the old "conspiracy theory" escape hatch to end the argument.

I'm not gonna go into the exact details, but she had more teaching experience and credentials, and we were on the same pay scale/ladder at the same time (eliminating inflation differences). You are paid as a teacher, regardless of subject. There was no difference I could work out beyond our gender...but yes, there could have been something else I missed. I wasn't trying to end the argument with the "conspiracy theory escape hatch" as you put it, but you can't deny that some (not all) detractors of these issues have a dog in the fight that they'd rather not see go down.

You brought valid points to the discussion, but will you at least acknowledge that there is the possibility that women are paid less for no other reason than their gender? I'm not gonna sit here and say EVERY feminist battle is a worthwhile one, as some of them push more for female dominance than equality...I'd rather see equality for equal work, that's all I'm saying.

My wife is the Head Teacher of our local primary school. Out of a total staff of around 40 people, one teaching assistant is male. No teachers, no cleaners, no admin staff... Now, is that because my wife is sexist and only employs females? Or is it because the vast majority of males have no interest in working with children?

So, are there very few women in motorsport because they are discriminated against, or because the vast majority have no interest in it?

Should we start a new school where only men can be teachers? (just to give those poor blokes a chance to excel).

You bring up a very good point, and obviously no, your wife is not sexist. However, your point is one of a person's interest in a particular field. What influences a person's interest? If you have young boys who are constantly told going into certain fields of study make you "less of a real man", young girls who are steered away from certain fields because "that's not what ladies do"...coupled with outside influence from the other kids, adults, the media, TV, the internet...for most people, they will pick the path of least resistance.

Look at every successful athlete who went against the common trend: Lewis Hamilton, Venus and Serena Williams, Tiger Woods, etc...they had the backing of their parent or parents to push them to strive for excellence in a field dominated previously by people that didn't look like them, be it race or gender or both.

Create a society that doesn't encourage boys and girls to really pursue the things they'd like to pursue, and of course you're gonna have less male teachers and less female racers. It's cause and effect.

I get the sexism argument, but this could be an effective way of exposing racing to young girls and inspiring the next generation to get more interested and involved in motor sport. It worked in MMA, just 10 years ago you had only a select few women competing, now you can tune in just about every weekend to see girls kicking the **** out of each other, it's fantastic!

Not quite the same there. UFC has a women's class and a Men's class.....they are two different classes that each sex competes in. In this conversation , they are saying " we want an all women's class ".......which is great if that is what they want. But do we get an " all men's " class as well?

The fight for equality.....just separated two gender's completely. Kind of contradiction isn't it? But this isn't how the rules are. We don't get an " all men's " class.....as the women can race both.

That's why real racing women oppose this bullshit , because the drove / competed against men and women. They didn't need a handicap to make them feel good about themselves. And in Amature racing....I'm all for a woman's class. But in professional motosport's......don't ask for a special class , unless you want to exclude yourself from the other one!

Put the series on TV and let people see it. Advertise it as much as possible. Publicity would do racing wonders. Most people don't even consider it a sport at all. Besides If its on enough women of younger ages may aspire to it and try it themselves.
They'll get more sponsers and earn more money and then at some point maybe they'll reengage and race altogether men and women.
We're I live in New England they don't cover motorsports at all, again because its not a "sport".Seen plenty when I was in the SCCA, and that was many moons ago.Also at many track days as well, with some really cool cars.
Just give them some time and publicity and see what happens.

Personally I really can't be bothered who is under the helmet in a racing car. Can be a guy, girl, ugly or pretty but for me it's the racing that counts.

A dedicated series for women though I am skeptical about for the same reason I would be skeptical about a series for bald 40 to 47 year old males, or fat guys from 14 to 19 year old. Racing should be about talent only. If you are good enough you get to race, if not you can join us simracers from our simcave and race online :p

And THIS RIGHT HERE (Aside from not enough parents encouraging girls to pursue a racing career) is why women, despite showing the talent and drive to succeed in racing, don't get near the top seats more often than not...this sexist attitude displayed right here and in a few other posts in this thread alone. The top echelons of motorsport, from the sanctioning bodies, to team owners and principals and the sponsors that support them...nearly all run by men.

[...]

As long as you don't have to be a 800 pound gorilla to turn a steering wheel and push the pedals, women should compete in the same racing series as men, period. Formula W is a joke. Why Susie Wolff was relegated to brief test driver status while Lance Stroll gets a seat in Formula 1, I'll never understand.

Not that long ago, there were 2 F1 teams out of 10 that had women as team principal. I won't comment on the improvements of Sauber since Monisha was asked to leave, but in those two teams, having a female team principal didn't increase odds of having a female driver, because it's not as if Jorda or Calderon (for example) have shown tremendous speed in GP3 to have a chance.

Funny that you mention Susie Wolff, because neither her husband (which has quite some influence at Mercedes), nor a female team principal could get her a drive at Williams. You'll maybe explain that she deserved more a drive than race winner to be Bottas, or championship runner up Massa.

Oh, and now she is team principal at Venturi formula e. Will a woman get a drive thanks to her ? It doesn't appear to be the case for this year.

I am deadly serious. Don't you understand the difference? This is a separate series for women only? In what way possible is that left-wing? When is liberalism ever about separation?

Answer: never.

You clearly haven't been paying attention to the current left wing political ideology which increasingly pushes segregation. The concept of "safe spaces" is all about protecting women and minorities from evil straight white men. This racing series is the ultimate safe space for female drivers.

I would like to see links to studies showing such numbers. I can only speak for what I have seen firsthand.

My wife and I were both teachers in the same school, teaching elective subjects. Both of us are the same age, working the same hours. She was paid less. There is truth to the gender gap, if you want to see it (not saying you don't, but they're always those who shout conspiracy theory whenever something threatens their dominance).
Oh well if we are going to take anecdotal evidence as fact then there is a big pay gap with women out earning men by a lot based on my own experience.

You bring up a very good point, and obviously no, your wife is not sexist. However, your point is one of a person's interest in a particular field. What influences a person's interest? If you have young boys who are constantly told going into certain fields of study make you "less of a real man", young girls who are steered away from certain fields because "that's not what ladies do"...coupled with outside influence from the other kids, adults, the media, TV, the internet...for most people, they will pick the path of least resistance.

This is anti-scientific political nonsense you are advocating. Studies have shown again and again sex based preferences in babies long before they are socialized.

So half of the olympic games is a leftist safe space??? Nonsense.

As has already been pointed out, there is a difference in separating men and women in sports where physical prowess would disadvantage a particular gender vs segregating based on sex in a sport where there is no clear advantage. This whole concept is based on the absurd notion that men and women should have exactly the same representation in all activities. Yet you don't see a huge outcry from feminists when there is a lack of male representation in say knitting groups. Their position is actually incredibly hypocritical.

No problem with women in motorsport but there is no rule against them competing in any other division so this this opposite of equality since only one gender can compete here. If a woman is fast a team would hire her end of.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back