Formula Grand Prix - Tribute to Geoff Crammond

Cars Formula Grand Prix - Tribute to Geoff Crammond 1.1

Login or Register an account to download this content
SATLAB90 submitted a new resource:

Formula Grand Prix - Tribute to Geoff Crammond - Grand Prix 3... but it's on Assetto Corsa

Formula Grand Prix mod by SATLAB (1.0)

View attachment 424359

PLEASE READ ALL THE DESCRIPTION IF YOU ARE CONFUSED ABOUT THIS MOD

After a work of a couple of months I'm proud to present to you a "special" mod.

Formula Grand Prix is a generic Formula 1 © car which delivers over 800 bhp, with a 6-speed gearbox and a mid-high-downforce profile.

But what makes this mod...

Read more about this resource...

Hi SATLAB, you've done a great job bringing GP3 to Assetto Corsa! I brought the Grand Prix series to rFactor and AMS months ago, and now this series finally have made its way to AC. Thanks for the hard work!
After driving a few laps I have some little suggestions that I think may help you improve this mod:
1. Some elements in the cockpit need adjustments, like the position of steering wheel, the mirror, the position of indicators, etc.
00.jpg

2. The 3D model and UV need a little adjustments in some parts, like the helmet and the UV near front suspension. I made templates for Grand Prix Evolution, you can use it as a reference if you wish. Link here
01.jpg

3. I don't think rear rain light texture is correct, that's the texture that should appear inside the damaged nose in GP3.
03.jpg

4. The suspension texture looks too high-detailed, it doesn't match the texture style of the whole car I think.
5. The rear wing model need some adjustments to make it look closer to the original game, also I think the front and rear wing looks a little thick.
6. The original game's front wing have a little curve, you can see the difference below (I didn't notice too at first when I was making Grand Prix Evo:)).
04.jpg

7. It would be fantastic if you can add backfires and drive's individual gloves texture.

Sorry for my bad English, and thank you again.

Last edited:
Hi SATLAB, you've done a great job bringing GP3 to Assetto Corsa! I brought the Grand Prix series to rFactor and AMS months ago, and now this series finally have made its way to AC. Thanks for the hard work!
After driving a few laps I have some little suggestions that I think may help you improve this mod:
1. Some elements in the cockpit need adjustments, like the position of steering wheel, the mirror, the position of indicators, etc.
View attachment 424465
2. The 3D model and UV need a little adjustments in some parts, like the helmet and the UV near front suspension. I made templates for Grand Prix Evolution, you can use it as a reference if you wish. Link here
View attachment 424460
3. I don't think rear rain light texture is correct, that's the texture that should appear inside the damaged nose in GP3.
View attachment 424461
4. The suspension texture looks too high-detailed, it doesn't match the texture style of the whole car I think.
5. The rear wing model need some adjustments to make it look closer to the original game, also I think the front and rear wing looks a little thick.
6. The original game's front wing have a little curve, you can see the difference below (I didn't notice too at first when I was making Grand Prix Evo:)).
View attachment 424466
7. It would be fantastic if you can add backfires and drive's individual gloves texture.

Sorry for my bad English, and thank you again.
Thanks for all the suggestions! I will surely put an eye on it :)
Regarding the cockpit it is difficult to replicate the exact FOV and object placing as the original game... I thought maybe it is an issue due the fact that on the original game the cockpit model was a different part of the car (as in rFactor, F1 CH, GP2, GP4, AMS).

Thank you again for your great work and the suggestions. Best regards

@SATLAB90 I found a very small bug, when you use the mod "car radar" the cars usually have a small icon, but in your model there is no small car icon. Nothing crucial, just wanted to report for the backlog.

@SATLAB90 I found a very small bug, when you use the mod "car radar" the cars usually have a small icon, but in your model there is no small car icon. Nothing crucial, just wanted to report for the backlog.

Thank you for the report! Didn’t know about this app... I will take a look on how to fix it (if it’s fixable).

Thank you for the report! Didn’t know about this app... I will take a look on how to fix it (if it’s fixable).

Yeah, it's an app for guys like me who have a small screen and can't see their mirrors to understand what's going left and right?

Today I installed your mod and made a few races in Spa as Damon Hill and it was amazing. :)

Thank you so much for that mod.

Yeah, it's an app for guys like me who have a small screen and can't see their mirrors to understand what's going left and right?

Today I installed your mod and made a few races in Spa as Damon Hill and it was amazing. :)

Thank you so much for that mod.
You’re welcome :)
Damon + Spa = perfect 1998 mix

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing.

Just a small interesting fact, Geoff developed Stunt Car Racer, which was the precursor of Stunts, my favorite driving game when growing up (alongside Lotus 3, F1GP (also by Geoff) and, yea, Micro Machines 1&2).
Nice to see his work come to life in AC.

Cheers.

Thanks for sharing.

Just a small interesting fact, Geoff developed Stunt Car Racer, which was the precursor of Stunts, my favorite driving game when growing up (alongside Lotus 3, F1GP (also by Geoff) and, yea, Micro Machines 1&2).
Nice to see his work come to life in AC.

Cheers.
That’s interesting! What an amzazing game designer/developer he was!

Glad you liked this mod :)

Even tho i began with demo version of GP2 (Hence pre 99 version of Monza being my favorite track) i think i spent most time in 3,
wonderful game even tho the whole John Newhouse bit is sad.

It is such a shame that GP 4 (vanilla) is such departure from the series to a point when that was the last release in it.

Yes it’s sad that GP4 is actually the last chapter... but I still buzz around the modding community and it’s unbelievable how GP4 has been transformed over the years. Some mods are incredibly close to modern F1 games in terms of 3D model accuracy and physics. We could say that the grand prix series will be immortal thanks to these modders

SATLAB90 updated Formula Grand Prix - Tribute to Geoff Crammond with a new update entry:

Important Update - Formula Grand Prix V 1.1

Hi guys! First of all I would like to thank all of you for the good response that this mod had in the past days :)

Secondly... here it is the first important update. I highly suggest to download it. It's mainly a graphical update but it makes the mod look better and it has also some bug fixes.

View attachment 425160
View attachment 425163
  • Added a carbon cover in the inside of the tyre... it makes a more "realistic" look to the car, now it...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Fantastic job @SATLAB90

I worked on the original game and was responsible for the cockpit graphics. It still surprises me how fond of GP3 people still are. Lewis Hamilton even name checked it in a post race interview this year which was pretty surreal!

Here are what few materials I have left from my MicroProse portfolio from GP3's in game graphics:

1998 GrandPrix3 Cockpit Display.jpg

Keep up the good work!

Jon.

Last edited:
Fantastic job @SATLAB90

I worked on the original game and was responsible for the cockpit graphics. It still surprises me how fond of GP3 people still are. Lewis Hamilton even name checked it in a post race interview this year which was pretty surreal!

Here are what few materials I have left from my MicroProse portfolio from GP3's in game graphics:

View attachment 425370

Keep up the good work!

Jon.
Hi Jon! What an honour to speak to one of the original game developer. I take this opportunity to thank you and your team for this incredible game, it was really one of the best game during my childhood and it will always have a special place in my gamer heart. I watched that cockpit so many times, it's incredible to speak to one of his creator :)

Thank you very very much for this piece of gaming history, those LCD graphics will surely help me to improve the LCD font which is now quite far from the original thing!

Cheers and long live to the Grand Prix series :)

Hi Jon! What an honour to speak to one of the original game developer. I take this opportunity to thank you and your team for this incredible game, it was really one of the best game during my childhood and it will always have a special place in my gamer heart. I watched that cockpit so many times, it's incredible to speak to one of his creator :)

Thank you very very much for this piece of gaming history, those LCD graphics will surely help me to improve the LCD font which is now quite far from the original thing!

Cheers and long live to the Grand Prix series :)

Thank you for your kind words, and for keeping GP3 alive @SATLAB90 ! It's always great talking to fans of the game. I have a lot of fond memories working on it and plenty of stories from time spent as a guest of the Arrows F1 team at Silverstone in the late 90's too (the Arrows A19 continues to be one of my all time favorite F1 cars).

Aside from being responsible for the cockpit, I also created the visuals for the menu system and the box art. Here are some more pieces from my portfolio showing concepts for the menus and the box cover:

GrandPrix 3 marque specific concept interface.jpg

GrandPrix 3 early concept interface.jpg

GrandPrix 3 concept interface.jpg

GrandPrix 3 team specific concept interface.jpg

GrandPrix 3 concept interface 2.jpg

GrandPrix3 Box Cover Concept.jpg

I've never shared these online before. Hope you like them!

I do have plans to create a MicroProse livery/skin for the Formula RSS 1990 V12 car as a tribute to both MicroProse, our dev team and the GP series. Sadly one of our key developers, Andy Cook, passed away a number of years ago and I'd like to also make it a tribute to him too.

Best,

Jon

Last edited:
Thank you for your kind words, and for keeping GP3 alive @SATLAB90 ! It's always great talking to fans of the game. I have a lot of fond memories working on it and plenty of stories from time spent as a guest of the Arrows F1 team at Silverstone in the late 90's too (the Arrows A19 continues to be one of my all time favorite F1 cars).

Aside from being responsible for the cockpit, I also created the visuals for the menu system and the box art. Here are some more pieces from my portfolio showing concepts for the menus and the box cover:

View attachment 425420
View attachment 425421
View attachment 425422
View attachment 425424
View attachment 425426
View attachment 425427

I've never shared these online before. Hope you like them!

I do have plans to create a MicroProse livery/skin for the Formula RSS 1990 V12 car as a tribute to both MicroProse, our dev team and the GP series. Sadly one of our key developers, Andy Cook, passed away a number of years ago and I'd like to also make it a tribute to him too.

Best,

Jon
These images are a piece of gaming history. If you agree I would like to share them on GrandPrixGames.org . Surely the GP modding community will love them.

Sad to hear about Andy passing away... I hope to see that tribute livery very soon.

Wish you good luck,

Satlab

These images are a piece of gaming history. If you agree I would like to share them on GrandPrixGames.org . Surely the GP modding community will love them.

Sad to hear about Andy passing away... I hope to see that tribute livery very soon.

Wish you good luck,

Satlab

Feel free to share those images, it'd be good to get them out there and off my HDD where they might get lost at some point.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back