Formula E 'Gen2' Teased for rFactor 2

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
rF2 Formula E Gen2.jpg

As part of the end of year best wishes, Studio 397 have dropped yet another hint that the brand new 2019 spec Formula E 'Gen2' car will be arriving in the sim soon.

Having started a relationship with the rapidly expanding FIA Formula E category as part of the $1m Vegas eSport event back in 2016, the ties between Studio 397 and the all electric single seater championship grew yet stronger in 2017 with the first officially licenced Formula E content coming to the popular rFactor 2 racing simulation.

At the time the 'Energize Formula E DLC' contained the original FE car and Hong Kong ePrix location, complete with full liveries of the 2017/18 Formula E championship field, however since then the category have spent much time and effort refining the design of the top tier electric championship car - releasing a potentially much improved 'Gen2' model in time for the current season that began December 15th at the Riyadh Street Circuit in Saudi Arabia.

It appears from a couple of sneak preview images released by Studio 397 in recent times that the new car will indeed be heading to rFactor 2 this year, adding yet another officially licenced category to the simulation, and again offering up a very different driving experience for sim racers to enjoy.

No official word of what the pack will contain, or when it will be made available has been revealed by Studio 397, but judging by the fact the developers are happy to show off the odd preview shot, it is probably fair to say we won't have to wait too long until we have the chance to get our hands on the cars for ourselves.

rF2 Formula E Gen2 2.jpg

If you missed it first time around, check out the Energize Formula E DLC Interview 'n' Drive we did with Studio 397's Marcel Offermans prior to the original pack release:

rFactor 2 is a PC exclusive racing simulation available worldwide via the Steam network.

Check out the rFactor 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for all the latest news and discussion with regards to the simulation. You can take part in lively debates with fellow rFactor 2 fans and take part in some great Club and League racing events..!

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

• Deleted member 205301

...well..the rfator2'gen1 was quite fun, but seemed not really "finished" (using fuel as energy, IA was not optimised for an entire race etc...), so I don't really know what I'll do with these gen2 ... Is there simply a marketing thing ? will they works properly on it ? don't know, wait and see...
I love IRL FE, so it could be great to have some proper gen2 for RF2, but wich price ?...lots of question for me^^
@++

I'll have a good time in the Gen2 Car enjoyed the first one. I do catch a Formula E race occasionally. So it's somewhat grown on me. Though I still have complaints about it. I think they need to take a break from the cars and bring more tracks to rF2 to me it's lacking when you don't have mod tracks.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 637371

Not really my cuppa, but always good to hear new content is being released for rF2.

Like others have already mentioned, new tracks would be most welcome, especially if they are of a similar quality to Sebring. If there were new tracks as part of the FE DLC i would to buy the DLC to show support, but i'm not sure i would purchase for these cars alone.

Bought the first FE car, raced it 10 mins and thats it. Not able to refund i hope we owners of the first gen get a discount when purchasing the next gen at least. But even then it will still probably get no love due to the missing tracks.
Well maybe you just don't like this category.

As you did I've bought the first package thinking it would be fun. These cars require to learn how to drive them properly. I did not take time to do it and so I lost interest immediatly. I can't blame the developers, it was just not my cup of tea. I want to try these cars again but I will only do it when I decide to take time to understand them.

Basically what you are saying is that you bought a F1 game but realise you don't like driving F1 cars so you want a discount to buy the next one. Why would you buy the next F1 game? Just don't do it. Someone who enjoyed the first game will enjoy the next one because he will get the same category with new F1 specifications and he will not expect a discount because he will find enjoyment with the new content.

As much as I like rF2 and what S397 has achieved allready, I never understood the move to produce FE content and the extra workload, considering that you need to create a decent track roster just for that type of car that isn't really suited for the more common race tracks, while other very interesting licenses are sitting on the backlog since ages. I am talking especialy about the Eagle, the Reynard and March. Why did that content lose priority, wich would fit much better into the existing product with lots of tracks allready produced by the community or officialy and especialy proven to be liked by a wide range of users. The Cart Extreme mod has over 30k downloads here on RD and I would argue that the Indycar content by VRC was recieved very good aswell. I haven't purchased the first FE content and looking at the development of that segment of content it was a good desicion.

I really want to play this game more, but I have such a hard time getting to do online races with it.

• Clicks "sort by Players numbers in server"
  • Clicks 1st server: Package not found.
  • Clicks 2nd server, 3rd server (...) 8th server: Package not found. Package not found. Package not found.
  • Clicks 9th server: Package found. Downloading. Waits 15 minutes. Enter server, finds all players are AI's.
  • Leave Server.
  • Quit game. Launch Assetto or R3E.

I feel sad for rF2 detractors, hey just can't help it

They just have to say something negative because it eats at them that much that so many like it and they can't rationalize it

Then 75% of them couldn't drive rF2 to save themselves :sleep:

Last edited:

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • More leagues

Votes: 17 23.6%
  • Prizes

Votes: 15 20.8%
  • Trophies

Votes: 7 9.7%