Formula E 'Gen2' Teased for rFactor 2

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
rF2 Formula E Gen2.jpg

As part of the end of year best wishes, Studio 397 have dropped yet another hint that the brand new 2019 spec Formula E 'Gen2' car will be arriving in the sim soon.

Having started a relationship with the rapidly expanding FIA Formula E category as part of the $1m Vegas eSport event back in 2016, the ties between Studio 397 and the all electric single seater championship grew yet stronger in 2017 with the first officially licenced Formula E content coming to the popular rFactor 2 racing simulation.

At the time the 'Energize Formula E DLC' contained the original FE car and Hong Kong ePrix location, complete with full liveries of the 2017/18 Formula E championship field, however since then the category have spent much time and effort refining the design of the top tier electric championship car - releasing a potentially much improved 'Gen2' model in time for the current season that began December 15th at the Riyadh Street Circuit in Saudi Arabia.

It appears from a couple of sneak preview images released by Studio 397 in recent times that the new car will indeed be heading to rFactor 2 this year, adding yet another officially licenced category to the simulation, and again offering up a very different driving experience for sim racers to enjoy.

No official word of what the pack will contain, or when it will be made available has been revealed by Studio 397, but judging by the fact the developers are happy to show off the odd preview shot, it is probably fair to say we won't have to wait too long until we have the chance to get our hands on the cars for ourselves.

rF2 Formula E Gen2 2.jpg

If you missed it first time around, check out the Energize Formula E DLC Interview 'n' Drive we did with Studio 397's Marcel Offermans prior to the original pack release:

rFactor 2 is a PC exclusive racing simulation available worldwide via the Steam network.

Check out the rFactor 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for all the latest news and discussion with regards to the simulation. You can take part in lively debates with fellow rFactor 2 fans and take part in some great Club and League racing events..!

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

There's a mod for AMS already with these new Gen2 cars. Change the sounds to the Ferrari V12 F1 engine from 1994 and you're good to go, if you can't stand driving a car that sounds like a roomba cleaner.
I mean most formula e mods i've tried really miss how the car appears to drive IRL, of course i've never driven a formula e car but they don't seem to grip as much as most mods suggest they do.

I mean, instead of wasting time and breaking balls moaning about something you won't buy (and spoiler nobody cares you won't buy something, do what you want with your money) why you don't show support to the devs (this doesn't mean to buy), at least you know they're bringing different type of cars, different content. You moan when they don't bring cars, you moan when they bring content because you don't like that content. Hell, you guys are insatiable.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 379375

Yeah, just put the V10 sound on that and you'll have music from those cars.
I watched the opening race and the sound was awful. They appear to have turned up the sound to the point where ambient sound was intrusive. It made it more difficult to tell what the driver was doing. I don't like the circuits either.
I don't think I'll be won over to be honest and I have no interest in a game.

• Deleted member 379375

I mean, instead of wasting time and breaking balls moaning about something you won't buy (and spoiler nobody cares you won't buy something, do what you want with your time) why you don't show support to the devs (this doesn't mean to buy), at least you know they're bringing different type of cars, different content. You moan when they don't bring cars, you moan when they bring content because you don't like that content. Hell, you guys are insatiable.

now now, be nice we are all entitled to opinions

I watched the opening race and the sound was awful. They appear to have turned up the sound to the point where ambient sound was intrusive. It made it more difficult to tell what the driver was doing. I don't like the circuits either.
I don't think I'll be won over to be honest and I have no interest in a game.
I don't like that sound too, it's a vacuum cleaner, just quieter:D

• Deleted member 379375

I just re-read your posts in this thread, i'ts probably me but I'm not clear on whether you are for or against or don't care either way.

For the record just to be clear I think the sport is immature and I don't find it particularly exiting to watch. I enjoy sim racing and have no interest in a mass of poorly modeled cars and tracks (bare with me this will become relevant) and loads of circuits. Less is often more i my book. My go to is AC and to my shame I spend too much time on a few tracks in the same car as I try to perfect my driving and car setup.

For me to be competitive I can't spread myself too thinly so yet another discipline to master in a genre I am not particularly taken with is of no interest to me.

On the other hand I do enjoy reading what others think.

Oh and when I am not taking myself too seriously I say stupid things like 'No sound no buy' or 'no vr no buy'

I just re-read your posts in this thread, i'ts probably me but I'm not clear on whether you are for or against or don't care either way.

For the record just to be clear I think the sport is immature and I don't find it particularly exiting to watch. I enjoy sim racing and have no interest in a mass of poorly modeled cars and tracks (bare with me this will become relevant) and loads of circuits. Less is often more i my book. My go to is AC and to my shame I spend too much time on a few tracks in the same car as I try to perfect my driving and car setup.

For me to be competitive I can't spread myself too thinly so yet another discipline to master in a genre I am not particularly taken with is of no interest to me.

On the other hand I do enjoy reading what others think.

Oh and when I am not taking myself too seriously I say stupid things like 'No sound no buy' or 'no vr no buy'
So you spent a lot of time and energy to explain that you are not interested in this (neither Formula E gen 2 or Rfactor 2, with no other useful information, critisism or wishes? Well, I for sure don't really care, just don't buy it or use it.

ill never understand some peoples level of disdain for electric race cars. we dont race to listen to the cars, we race to RACE. and race, they can. youll never be at an rc track and here the nitro guys whining about the electric cars and how lame and uninteresting they are. i mean, i can understand liking the sound of gas cars better, i do too, but to bitch about it as much as some people do is borderline psycho.

Stop bitching. Why are there so many snowflakes around these days that just can't stand other peoples opinions?;):rolleyes::D

I will buy the *** of it! i'm not a FE fan and i don't like to watch formula e that much but i like driving those cars a few laps a day. my only concern is the tracks, i mean official tracks, not created by imagination+observation! but i will support them anyway as i see them in a reasonable direction(i like to support all devs in simracing if i see quality and potential in them, like Studio 397 , kunos, Sector3 ,reiza plus a few more)

• Deleted member 379375

So you spent a lot of time and energy to explain that you are not interested in this (neither Formula E gen 2 or Rfactor 2, with no other useful information, critisism or wishes? Well, I for sure don't really care, just don't buy it or use it.
:) I'll get my coat

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 209 14.1%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 153 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 149 10.1%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 113 7.6%
  • < 5 years