Flight Simulator X

Bram

RaceDepartment Founder
Staff
Premium
Bad news indeed Chris :( I hope those employees will find a new development team to continue flightsims. The real time weather programmers may start at any simracing development team btw!

Dave Stephenson

RaceDepartment Technical Administrator
Staff
Premium
Its been on the cards for a while downturn or not. FS series aren't selling like they used to unfortunately. I read an article about how little money they were making from it about a year back, too much piracy and too little interest. A shame because FSX was the best of the lot and pointed towards more improvement to come.

Hopefully the team will join together independantly or maybe even get snapped up byu another studio. who knows what they might be capable of with a different brief and working outside the contstraints of the existing MS engine. Maybe we will see something to folloow up CFS which I loved dearly and have been hoping for a return to for many years.

Its been on the cards for a while downturn or not. FS series aren't selling like they used to unfortunately. I read an article about how little money they were making from it about a year back, too much piracy and too little interest. A shame because FSX was the best of the lot and pointed towards more improvement to come.

Hopefully the team will join together independantly or maybe even get snapped up byu another studio. who knows what they might be capable of with a different brief and working outside the contstraints of the existing MS engine. Maybe we will see something to folloow up CFS which I loved dearly and have been hoping for a return to for many years.

I was one of those who pirated fs series (as back then it was to expensive compared to other pc and or console games for me).
but for FS-X i decided to give my money to developers and bought FS-X. I do find it sad that they will leave the fs community.
Maybe a bit stupid saying this, but it may have been also their own fault as every time they brought a new fs game, you needed a much more powerful pc to handle all the stuff. It is the same right now with fs-x (good pc and still i have to turn some things here and there down...even with the patches)

James Johnson

The Weatherman
WHY MS :( anyways heres one of my latest screenshots Captain sim 757-200 landing at KDFW

Attachments

• KDFW AA 757-200.jpg
    KDFW AA 757-200.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 203

Dave Stephenson

RaceDepartment Technical Administrator
Staff
Premium
I was one of those who pirated fs series (as back then it was to expensive compared to other pc and or console games for me).
but for FS-X i decided to give my money to developers and bought FS-X. I do find it sad that they will leave the fs community.
Maybe a bit stupid saying this, but it may have been also their own fault as every time they brought a new fs game, you needed a much more powerful pc to handle all the stuff. It is the same right now with fs-x (good pc and still i have to turn some things here and there down...even with the patches)

Its understandable Im not judging it really I know many other who have. I saved for months to buy 98 was only twelve and paid the princly sum of 55 quid for it in PC world so after that it just seemed normal. At least they didnt bring them out anually that would have stung :)

A

Anthony Williams

• Anthony Williams

Microsoft said:
With the economy spiraling further and further into a hole, Microsoft announced yesterday it was laying of 5000 employees. We learned today, though still officially unconfirmed by Microsoft, that the cuts include the disbanding of the ACES Studio team which is responsible for Flight Simulator. It appears as though the venerable flight simulator, which has been around since 1982, is no more.

What a shame. :(

My very first PC, with the exception of an ancient 286, was a 350MHz beige monstrosity bought from Tiny Computers. I was fourteen and had begged my dad for months to get a PC. The only reason I wanted one was so that I could mess around in Flight Sim '98.

I have fond memories of grabbing some of my dad's EU airways charts and flying the Phoenix 747 from Heathrow to Rome. Should I be ashamed of admitting that? :p

Back in 1986, i bought a "game" called Falcon 4, By Micropose, and then found out it was more of a flight sim, than a game. This to me was the ultimate challenge, having to virtually study at night, from a manual 60 and 70 mm thick,before you could do.... and complete a mission successfully.
Have kept it updated by upgrades through the years, but now find it almost impossible to master with all the new technology that has evolved, and the manual has increased twofold.
A super..super sim, nontheless.

James Johnson

The Weatherman
Still guys FSX will have many years ahead of it as Mod developers will know that this will be latest FS For sometime and will be able to create many new Planes and other add-ons. And our PC's can barely keep up with FSX now! so the future remains Good While we wait for FS to be resurected. :worship:

Edit - My Latest Trip :) GCTS Tenerife South - EDDL Dusseldorf With Posky 767-300 Thomas Cook/Condor Livery.

Attachments

• Lisbon - 767-300.jpg
    Lisbon - 767-300.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 206
  • Google Earth JimbobQ.jpg
    Google Earth JimbobQ.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 219
i think where FS-X has missed, is the UB40 that the developers pulled with the DirectX 10 (remember those screenshots)

but James is right though.....with the fs community we will certainly see some improvements in FS-X with years to come

i play fsx alot, using the pmdg 747 and level d 767.
I`m in the aerospace industry anyway so i get a natural interest from there. The more developed add-ons though make the game such more in depth and rewarding. Especially when you learn the aircraft model inside out.

got to admit, i hope it isn`t the end for fsx. Would be a great dissapointment to see the fs series of games end.

Is it just me, or has anybody else spent hours and hours in the past getting their fsx setting right. i know i have, :go-away:

cheers,
ollie

H

Hayden Walker

• Hayden Walker

i have had fsx since it came out i couldn't play it on my old rig either so my aunt just bought a new rig from dell so i played it on hers for months and months then i decided i would buy myself a new computer.

i spent about £400 doing my old rig up the usual new processor cpu graphics ram but it was still not where i wanted it so i decided to get a new dell

it was £900 but it was a daay they had a sale on it was £1300 and i wasnt paying that so i got it and that what im on the now ive had it almost year and a half

i can play fsx on ultra high with only traffic t medium-high sand it can play all other games on ulra high or the best aswell

i still enjoy fs2004 better tho as there hundreds and hundreds of expansions put for it and ive got a good 18 or 19 so i didnt want to waste all that money not to use them again.

my favourite is concorde professional it's just amazing

i dont really have much time on my hands for pc gaming etc
but when i get a chance to play pc it really is fun

I started out in flight sims before getting into sim racing. I used a flight sim called X-Plane. I would suggest this to be the most realistic general aviation flight sim ever produced. The software produced for this sim is used and approved by the FAA for flight training.

Once the new PC arrives, I'll make sure to get into FSX and IL-2 Sturmovik (got the game but didn't work on this Vista PC -_-). I have a joystick, and can use the G25 pedals. Myself and my dad used to play it, we once flew a plane from Dublin to Heathrow, ofcourse, I was tasked with landing. Take a wild guess what happened? :p

The modding community is vast, it's and awesome community the aviation sim. As it's not based on skill or competitiveness, it's one community of friends who fly purely for fun.

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 86 19.3%
  • €151-500

Votes: 121 27.1%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 73 16.4%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 39 8.7%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 45 10.1%
  • €3001-5000