F1 2011 First impressions after playing the game

F1 2011 The Game (Codemasters)
Well just finished my first race with Force India. Let me just say the new suspension system is a handful to get used to. I lost a front wing twice in practice. Lets just say if you activate DRS don't do it at a wrong spot or you'll pull a Maldonado and spin out.

So far managing KERS and DRS is tricky in practice and qualy. At no point was I within a second in the race but I qualified 18th and finished 12th meeting my objective.

The graphics don't appear that much better and the washout effect is kinda odd. Modders will fix that I'm sure fast enough.

Career mode is now managed with a laptop and no more ugly lady... Helmets are going to have to be modded in again.

No Senna for Renault.

Fuel mixture is kind of a neat addition and my gas light came on during the second to last lap and I was not in a position to gain a position so I just turned it back to normal.

Engineer seems like he barely talks at all now. To early to tell if this is good or bad. Seems like all sector times are good in qualy.

Massa was pole along with Button and Petrov. Vettell was an embarrassing 14th.

Any other questions let me know.

Also I'm playing with 20%

After watching replays of my spin, seems like suspension is too soft so i stiffened it and the roll bars and made small tweak to camber t increase straight line stability, now car is much more stable and i posted a 1.26.7xx with Force India at Melbourne =D

AI are too slow on intermediate, running 1.30.xx in quali. Guess ill have to stick to Professional AI and get my ass kicked.
Try softening the rear roll bar and suspention. That or add more rear wing I think. Either way it seems as though balance of the wings and suspension will be more important in this game.

Yeh the pits are totally auto now, you dont have to brake for the box or enable/disable speed limiter, you just got to make sure you are below the speed limit before the white line.

Also you can change the fuel amount in Quali and Practise.

I just finished my race at Melbourne, i started 24th as i was DSQ in Quali, it didnt tell me why, but i think i got to greedy at a corner. I finished the race in 6th, it was raining, the AI didnt pit (12 lap race 20%) and stayed on inters.

it was a good battle all the way through and i enjoyed it a lot.

The Fuel indicator is inaccurate (by design?), i had 1.5 laps left in 5th place when i put it into Rich Fuel mix thinking i might catch P4, but half way through the last lap the car started chugging and dropped to 6th place. Fuel indicator still said 'Optimal' but fuel light was flashing.

Cool race, going to put it to pro AI for the next one.

Try softening the rear roll bar and suspention. That or add more rear wing I think. Either way it seems as though balance of the wings and suspension will be more important in this game.

I liked the overall balance of the car when turning in, so i just raised them equally, i might try only raising rear, but that might induce too much understeer, i already had to lift at Turn 5 so didnt want to make any more understeer in corner entry.

Yes setup seems more important and i can really feel the difference with springs.

This game is 100x better than 2010.

The Fuel indicator is inaccurate (by design?), i had 1.5 laps left in 5th place when i put it into Rich Fuel mix thinking i might catch P4, but half way through the last lap the car started chugging and dropped to 6th place. Fuel indicator still said 'Optimal' but fuel light was flashing.
That sounds right to me. 1.5 laps is the estimate on the normal mix, so you would've had 0.5 left after a lap; on the Rich mixture you'll burn through that much quicker.

Everything is sounding really good so far. Bit disappointed that the pit lane is now completely auto... that makes the pit stops easier and takes away the possibility of pit stop errors which is after all part of F1 but a small sacrifice if other things are so gretly improved.

What are the replays like.. have there been any improvements to that area of the game. It was sorely lacking in 2010 so was hoping for something better in 2011.

No call from the missus today so am guessing my game has not arrived yet.. either that or she is going to hide it from me :s

My only complaints to an otherwise fantastic game

My only gripes (nothing even close to dealbreakers):

1) Still no "historical" stats for races that year. I'd still like to go back and look at results from previous races, or track my stats at certain tracks. "How many times I have I won at Spa?" for example. Surprised this was omitted.

2) They have taken away the "Call for pit" command, as well. In 2010, you could call your own pit stop as long as you did so before the start of the third sector. This has been taken out, which I find annoying.

3) They also have removed the Pit Limiter command, which is odd since you can still set Pit Stops to manual or automatic. Need to determine what the difference is if there's no pit limiter. I guess it's automatic now, OR they removed the pit limiter in the real Formula 1.

Why are folks thinking they are going to be instantly quick at 2011? Just because you're quick at 2010? If you had read the press before the game even came out, it was always said that 2011 was a totally different beast to 2010.

Like Glacierre says, you should have been annoyed that you could trash the legend AI in 2010, rather than moaning about being 3-5secs off the pace in 2011.

Also, have people forgotten about how practice improves your performance? Or were you beating Legend AI in 2010 on day 2?

Eitherway, I suggest your time will be better spent on track learning 2011, than on forums comparing it to 2010. :D

This post is so genius, it almost hurts my head.

In malaysia i pit in from P1, P2-P5 all pit in as well. I come out last of the bunch... How is that possible when we cant even control anything in the pits =/

On out lap i struggle on cold hard tyres, they are blue in car status, lose another couple of places, end up in 11th, crashed out towards the end.
Hard tyres in the race were appalling, much different to practise.

The whole game is a bug, it's even worser and more bugged then F1 2010, they ****e* it up again.

Always the same, lots of PR an advertising but nothing more. Just look at the outwashed 10x10 textures - lol. the colors again are not saturated and wrong, handling is just crap with its massive oversteering front.

I continue playing the much better (PC-Exclusive) rFactor with F1 RFT 2011 mod and my modded ENB settings.
N1 lighting + cars + REAL handling!

On consoles F1 2011 is unplayable because of the massive slow-downs, and the graphics are even more worse.

Hey Rotax you could adjust your gamma settings in the, i have my gamma at .5 and it makes a big difference, in order to see it a bit more correctly gamma should be .045454, since are monitor are gamma 2.2 we have to compensate for it by adjusting it to the inverse of that. The cars are a bit more correct than 2010 as far as handling etc, i to play rFactor with the F1RS2011 and F12011 is a bit closer to that handling wise, you cant throw the cars into corners anymore its more sensitive coming out of turns etc, I don't like the engine sounds which said they were gonna be different for every car but it doesn't seem like, it would be nice to get a MOD for that, because the sounds for rFactor mounds are pretty amazing! Always keep in mind F12011 is not a simulator so don't expect it to be

I agree with you in some points Rotax... f#@ up again! After 3 races and some hours of playing here is my impressions: Better handling than 2010 game, but not good enough, the car steers very sudden into the apex, arcade style. Grip should be overall less than it is for player and for AI. Rfactor is better at this. Graphics not better than last year, the T-cam is awfull, just rubish FOV. And the AI, i like that they are faster than 2010, but not fast enough, come on guys, first time in monza on legend, all assistance off and 6th qualy. and 8th at race with perez! Come on, i sould have been at least 12th. Singapoure with perez, rain, 12th! I was expecting something like 20th. Try to play GP4 on rain. And they don't try to overtake you, especialy in slow circuits like singapore, monaco, valencia.... If there is a fix on Ai aggression, T-cam, and please make the car more difficult to drive, give ME less grip.. then it will be a hell of a game... I will just wait for the mods and the patches to make the difference...

I restarted Malaysia race, and finished P1 with Professional AI, i dont get how Melbourne Ai were so fast but Malaysia they are much slower on same difficulty. I dont want to continually be having to change the AI setting so im competitive for every track.

I pitted lap 5 in Malaysia so i didint get held up in the pits and won by 0.014 seconds. Maybe ive got used to the new physics, ill put AI back to legend and see how it goes.

i don't see how anyone can play this game with an controller, f1 cars are just way to sensitive and fast... i'm trying and i'm gripping the controller so hard to be precise my hands would hurt playing for an hour... and i'll still lose front wings like crazy. And the reactions are way to slow with an analog stick to correct any mistakes. i miss my wheel no matter how crappy it was for xbox... i need a new one for pc

i don't see how anyone can play this game with an controller, f1 cars are just way to sensitive and fast... i'm trying and i'm gripping the controller so hard to be precise my hands would hurt playing for an hour... and i'll still lose front wings like crazy. And the reactions are way to slow with an analog stick to correct any mistakes. i miss my wheel no matter how crappy it was for xbox... i need a new one for pc

Perfectly possible, i practised on rFactor so i find all racing games playable compared to this with a pad:

I had to let go DX11 and resort to DX9 on (keyboard-controlled) laptop (see config below) for that reason here (Montreal), but since the difference between DX11 and DX9 is almost un-noticeable graphics-wise, I don't care that much. The only thing I miss from 2010 is the how the rain looks. 2011 rain drops look like a bunch of straight gray lines falling down, but it's just a game so I won't complain. Just played Abu Dhabi (sp?) here (in the clear) and, wow, it's much better than 2010 (feels like it's how 2010 should have been in the first place).

Dell XPS L501X
Windows 7 Home Premium SP1
Quad i7 Q740 1.73 GHz 2.93 GHz Turbo boost
8 GB System RAM
GeForce GT 435M
2 GB Video RAM
Realtek High Definition Audio
JBL spkrs

OK...
I needed to try myself whats wrong... if i am really bad or maybe car? If i should still drive legend or maybe change ai difficulty to professional. And thats what i managed to obtain.

I have tried only one track - Hungaroring in Budapest, Hungary but few cars. The settings & assists i have set:
* Braking Assists: OFF
* ABS: ON
* Traction Control: FULL
* Dynamic Racing Line: OFF
* Gearbox: AUTOMATIC
* Pit Assists: OFF
* Rules & Flags: REALISTIC
* Tyre Simulation: ON
* Fuel Simulation: ON
* Car Damage Simulation: FULL
* AI Difficulty Level: LEGEND
* Flashbacks: 0

and i play on keyboard.

First, i tried Williams, as i have already begun carrier in this team. I tried to drive few quick laps on option tyres as they are faster (red ones) but i havent managed to go to Q2 and my team mate was faster than me for about 0.9s (nearly 1s, like in carrier). Firstly i thought i am bad as even team mate was faster than me.

But then I decided to check what will happen if i will drive potentially best car - Red Bull Racing. Here I used prime tyres (yellow) in Q1 and option (red) in Q2:

I think i could also improve this times, so finally i think i can be competitive. I wonder what will happen if i begin to use custom setup and drive redbull? AI will be too slow again? :|

Finally i tried Force India, as it is also available in carrier. Again i used option tyres (red):

What do you think about this guys?
I think i should stay with legend ai difficulty, but in my opinion my mistake was to join williams instead of force india.

Of course all above i have driven using default setup. Thats why do i worry about ai when using custom setup. I hope i wont be faster then for more than 0.1-0.2s and not on all tracks.

BTW: Situation may lok different on other tracks. Ive chosen hungaroring as thats one of my favorite tracks and i know it well.
I'm looking forward for your opinions.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back