F1 2011 First impressions after playing the game

F1 2011 The Game (Codemasters)
Well just finished my first race with Force India. Let me just say the new suspension system is a handful to get used to. I lost a front wing twice in practice. Lets just say if you activate DRS don't do it at a wrong spot or you'll pull a Maldonado and spin out.

So far managing KERS and DRS is tricky in practice and qualy. At no point was I within a second in the race but I qualified 18th and finished 12th meeting my objective.

The graphics don't appear that much better and the washout effect is kinda odd. Modders will fix that I'm sure fast enough.

Career mode is now managed with a laptop and no more ugly lady... Helmets are going to have to be modded in again.

No Senna for Renault.

Fuel mixture is kind of a neat addition and my gas light came on during the second to last lap and I was not in a position to gain a position so I just turned it back to normal.

Engineer seems like he barely talks at all now. To early to tell if this is good or bad. Seems like all sector times are good in qualy.

Massa was pole along with Button and Petrov. Vettell was an embarrassing 14th.

Any other questions let me know.

Also I'm playing with 20%

Hehe, I know they have to strike a balance - its a ported console game so not designed to be a SIM - but simply leaving out 50% of a cars suspension system for a second year is a little deflating if you ask me.

They could have done similar to what they do with fuel mixture. Just have 3 levels, a low, normal and high pressure option in the pits or something.
Little unintended pun there in a post about tyres!

It seems the Legend AI times in Qualifying are higher than the actual RL times. I saw a few posts on the CM forums, for example Catalunya pole time 2011 (Webber) was 1:20.981, Legend AI Hamilton set a 1:18.779 as pole. Intermediate AI pole was 1:26.685.

Of course it's more important to have an AI thats on pace with the player than with the RL times, but nonetheless it feels a little odd if we can be 2 seconds faster than those qho get paid for racing, doesn't it?

Can anyone already able to play take a look at AI times vs. RL and if possible vs. player? I would appreciate this a lot. :)

Great improvement over 2010 so far as first release.
Car Set up still the same, of course they took out the Ballast. Suspension...OMG please gusy dont ge tme started. As an F1 2010 vet with 400+ hours...im still spinning off my Force India on the most simple corners @ Melbourne. Its ridiculus...is going to take some time to get used to it. As far as set ups i mention this in a different Thread but just use whatever was confortable to you in 2010 and carry it over 2011. You might have to do a bit of tweaking since I personally noticed big diff in Super soft, soft and hard tyres.

Started off on expert, so far its ok, AI is much better than 2010, but manually using KERS and DRS can be a bit of a handful at times, which causes me to loose some control and eventually spinning out. so Great game. Again...is not a sim, but the Codies say they wil "hopefully" add break bias changes during a race/lap in a future patch. They are still testing it to satify us. So far no Safety car ^^..but you can see it parked whenver you leave the pits.

Hi Diego, what were your PC specs and your Benchmark results?

Hehe, I know they have to strike a balance - its a ported console game so not designed to be a SIM - but simply leaving out 50% of a cars suspension system for a second year is a little deflating if you ask me.
Little unintended pun there in a post about tyres![/QUOTE]

@David - in my experience of Paul's wit, I would hazard a guess that it was intentional

Pretty slick eh? Ah you know me too well James. Tread carefully though :D

No more inflammatory comments about fuel mixture allowed then?

Zoiks! That sort of comment is liable to blow up in your face David :D :D :D

I downloaded my F1 2011 from STEAM....i really hope it is the same copy and not something different spent $45 USD.
I am racing with VJM04. I really like KERS and DRS. Cockpit view is fine except the mirrors have no rear image.
The F1 modders will do a fine and excellent job i am sure. Cannot use the list of names like 2010. now they give U only drivers and legends names..Bummer :(
Where do we get the patch? if any available?

when you edit your G27 Action map could you pop the file to me please? you have experience in editing the file i don't...i only know how to change some numbers at the end of Button lol.

I sure can Scott. I had to make changes to the default XML so I could customise the controls the way I wanted and still be using the default actionmap so the look to apex would work on the steering axis. As soon as you customise your controls using the in-game route, it writes the information to your savegame and there was no way of editing the 'look to apex' mod onto it.
PM me any specific stuff you want set in the actionmap for the G27 buddy.

Fancy having a quick look at the G27 actionmap and telling me if its editable/written in english? I looked at my locked version in the Steam install and it was unreadable. Cheers in advance.

sorry, i was sleeping :lol: im glad someone else looked tho, i am excited to think that the same look to apex we had for 2010 can be used in 2011.. that small camera mod made things so much better!

I have only completed one race so far with the Williams. I accept the game for what it is and honestly have a blast playing it. The driving model is improved and i think the aesthetics (menus, graphics in general, etc) have improved but i see points of improvement that i am sure modders will catch. I am disappointed that tyre pressures can not be adjusted but it is no deal breaker. The engineer seems very monotone and disinterested; There should be an option to choose what engineer voice you want. DRS and KERS is very interesting to manage and the races proved to be more action packed at the 20 percent level. There were even backmarkers! The sound has definitely improved as well...

So far so good!

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 104 12.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 80 9.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 79 9.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 54 6.6%
  • < 5 years