F1 2011 First impressions after playing the game

F1 2011 The Game (Codemasters)
Well just finished my first race with Force India. Let me just say the new suspension system is a handful to get used to. I lost a front wing twice in practice. Lets just say if you activate DRS don't do it at a wrong spot or you'll pull a Maldonado and spin out.

So far managing KERS and DRS is tricky in practice and qualy. At no point was I within a second in the race but I qualified 18th and finished 12th meeting my objective.

The graphics don't appear that much better and the washout effect is kinda odd. Modders will fix that I'm sure fast enough.

Career mode is now managed with a laptop and no more ugly lady... Helmets are going to have to be modded in again.

No Senna for Renault.

Fuel mixture is kind of a neat addition and my gas light came on during the second to last lap and I was not in a position to gain a position so I just turned it back to normal.

Engineer seems like he barely talks at all now. To early to tell if this is good or bad. Seems like all sector times are good in qualy.

Massa was pole along with Button and Petrov. Vettell was an embarrassing 14th.

Any other questions let me know.

Also I'm playing with 20%

Anyone else notice a delay in game compared to wheel input? I havent run into any bugs yet besides that one but it isn't really that bad compared to 2010. A big thing that I love is that I can run this game on eyefinity which for some reason never worked right on 2010, this game at res 5760 x 1200 bench mark is ave 48fps with everything on high besides a couple on ultra. PC specs i7 950 @ 4.5ghz 12gb Ram and 2 5970 OC.

I'm enjoying it so far, braking distances overall seem to be shortened, although it's way easier to lock your brakes up. Also turns that I used to be great at are catching me out and some that i was never good at I seem to be nailing, so there's a definite difference even if everything looks almost the same.

DRS and Kers are great fun, although my first couple of laps the engineer actually radioed in to remind me to use them ha. Tire wear makes a definite impact and cold tires and brakes will make you feel like you're driving a boat.

There's a couple of minor bugs i've experienced so far that I'm sure will be patched, and my only other complaint is that I feel like I don't have enough buttons on my g27 wheel. I think I would like about 10 more ha.

Wow well what can I say. This game os gonna get some serious getting use to. Iv played about 4 hours tonight and for me it like a totally different car. Slowing down and getting corners right is so hard compared to last year. Making sure you open the Wing all the time in practice and qualy is also hard. It's deffo a learning curve. I started ok expert but I had to put tc on as there was no chance for me I was so slow compared to the other cars. Also there doesn't seem to be alot of engine braking?

Last gripe is I run a 4870x2 and I'm getting 30fps which is terrible they need to release a crossfire patch and soon.

Wow well what can I say. This game os gonna get some serious getting use to. Iv played about 4 hours tonight and for me it like a totally different car. Slowing down and getting corners right is so hard compared to last year. Making sure you open the Wing all the time in practice and qualy is also hard. It's deffo a learning curve. I started ok expert but I had to put tc on as there was no chance for me I was so slow compared to the other cars. Also there doesn't seem to be alot of engine braking?

Last gripe is I run a 4870x2 and I'm getting 30fps which is terrible they need to release a crossfire patch and soon.

For now try disabling crossfire and see what fps you get. A lot of users on our official forums are seeing a dramatic increase in fps after doing this (double in some cases).

Hi there, long time lurker here. :D Did one of you guys try out Monaco on the PS3? I'm curious if they fixed the frame rate issues that persisted through 2010. Cheers.

it seems leaving out the ability to adjust the balance was a big mistake. definitely needs to be in the game. the car will spin out on a fast turn if you dont hit it right or even if you do. dont see how they justified not keeping that in.

yeah i've noticed how incredibly easy it is to spin your car this year. not on kerbs but just in fast corners. and forget driving in the rain i CCAN NOT do it.

I just had one run(20% GP) but my first impression is that the car felt a little "arcadey". It just does not spin out easily. I'm sure I'll grow to love it as i get to play more. Does anybody know how to call for a pit stop?

I'm still on queue for 2011.Maybe I'll have it Monday...:mad:.But i think should not be a big difference in the Driving controls menu. Did you check Pit request? Its L3 button on my wheel atm.

I had a little trouble with my logitech driving force wheel first time out. Dead zone on the wheel was set to 10% or something in the game menu, dropped that down and its perfect now.
Loving the game this year, car spins really easily if your heavy handed/footed and that's nice. Started off by over shooting corners and spinning lots at the start, standard setups suck after using other peoples setups in last years game.
Oh and KERS is not a great idea on slight bends :D my force india was all over the place when i used it on some of the slight bends in Melbourne :D

Hey Chi, i have the same 4870's in Crossfire but no F1 2011 till Friday - a question, have you done a wet race yet? When running in the wet on Dirt 3 the track would literally flash like a strobe, have you seen this in 2011?? Im worried the same glitch will be in 2011.

I see the comment from Ian below your original post advising to turn CF off, this is the only way I can play Dirt3 due to the issues but I lose a lot of performance, I really hope it doesnt go the same way for F1. Guess Ill have to just wait till friday!

2011 is a massive improvement over 2010. once the wheel settings (saturation and linearity) are setup the game comes alive. it does still feel as though I'm playing a game meant for use with a pad though. somehow this doesn't really detract from the feeling that this is what it feels like to be an F1 driver though.

it's not a hardcore sim by any means, but it certainly does a great job of delivering a genuine F1 experience.

the only real issue I've found so far is that turning TC off seems to reduce high speed grip levels slightly, which I find bizarre. will take more playing to see if this is just my driving style.

I got the game minutes after it was released here in the US! I checked out the Melbourne Leaderboard (xBox Live). It had 24 people on it; 3 people in the Wet times!

I took about 2 hours just checking out the options and layout of the game. Love the Time Attack idea! They just give you a car in a specific situation and see what you can do with it--no setups. This mode reminds me of Gran Turismo a bit, competing for the different medals. I kind of wish they would have at least 10 variations, but I'll be happy with 6.

The handling is a beast. I have the wireless xBox wheel, and I use the F1 shifters. I'm one of those that does the racing line (I know, I know), but I do like my ABS and TCS off. Although I did eventually experiment with the DRS and KERS, I had my hands way full with just driving regularly! It seems the Wheel and Force Feedback is far more sensitive in this version. For Force Feedback, I ran a 50, 80, 50. Now? I run 10s across the board, and it feels just about the same.

Anyway, I am sure that I will come to love it for what it is. I enjoy a reasonable challenge, and I look forward to exploring the rest of it. Finishing up the last 5 races in F1 2010 with a racing league, so I do not want to spend too much time on it yet--would hate to keep re-programming my brain between 2010 and 2011!

I am curious to see if Factory Pilot has already owned the Time Trials on xBox Live...Hahaha. Guy's a monster!

Thanks!

Kenin

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back