FIA Vegas eRace - Was it good for SimRacing?

Chris

Premium
eRace1.jpg
2017 is now well and truly underway, and for many months prior to this day, a select group of SimRacers have been practicing their rear end's off in order to have the best shot at winning the 200,000 dollar cash prize on offer from the inaugural Vegas eRace.

Whilst the chance to see the worlds best SimRacers going head-to-head with real life professional drivers is a tasty proposition, did the Vegas eRace really capitalise on SimRacing's very first mass-market production?

In some respects, yes it did. It gained far and away the largest viewership that SimRacing has ever had, and given the money that was thrown at it, that's not surprising. It had the backing from large corporate entities such as VISA, the FIA and the Formula E teams themselves, which meant that out of all the SimRacing events that have taken place over the decades, this one was far and away the heaviest hitter. Utilising the real life commentary team of Jack Nicholls and Dario Franchitti also helped boost the cause of the event and gave it more credibility. It really wasn't too distant from a real life Formula E race.

However, the driving standards were what the majority of those of us in this little niche were curious to see. In the past, Formula E has run similar events, albeit on a smaller scale, at race events with the fans. A couple of real Formula E drivers would go head-to-head with a fan (or several) at the Simulator-zone, which every single time, would result in a crash-fest so bad it made public lobby racing look cleaner than a vacuum-sealed laboratory, as the everyday fan had no clue what they were doing, and the drivers themselves simply didn't care as it was all a big joke.

eRace2.jpg

Given that 200,000 'Big Ones' were on the line, the drivers taking part no doubt had to take things a little more seriously, but would there be enough time for them to get up to speed with basic SimRacing skills in order to avoid taking someone out and potentially costing them a life-changing amount of money?

Well, the driving standards from the real life drivers had improved. The only massive incident coming when David Greco tried to go three wide through the fast chicane, causing a large pile-up and significant damage. This is no different to any pro-league race you'll find. Driving standards are never going to be perfect. But with so much money on the line, and more eyeballs on the race than SimRacing has ever had, every incident is magnified and scrutinised just that much more.

As for the presentation of the race, well I actually thought it was pretty impressive. The on-screen graphics were well done, the commentary was, as expected, good, and the replays all fed into a nice production that can definitely be learned from and improved upon in future events. However, since Formula E had chosen rFactor 2 as their simulator of choice, the graphics of the actual cars, the track and it's surrounding were simply not up to par with what e-Sports expects and demands from it's productions. rFactor 2 is not the worst looking game, but it's certainly not what you'd call 'Eye Candy'.

eRace3.jpg

Sure, the cars and the track they used were a massive step up from previous e-Races they've done (which, let's be honest, looked like they were straight out of a PlayStation 1 game), the images seen from the race were a far cry from the beautiful images you see coming from the likes of Forza and Gran Turismo.

But rFactor was chosen for one simple reason. It's pretty much the only simulator that can pull something like this off given that iRacing does not have a Formula E car lying around. Had iRacing actually had a Formula E car at it's disposal, then that would have unquestionably been the platform of choice for this event. But even so, the best was made with what they had available.

But already there is controversy brewing. With just a handful of laps until the end of the 20 lap race, Bono Huis and Felix Rosenqvist were running one-two and had amassed a fairly substantial lead over the rest of the pack. However, Formula E uses a thing called "Fan Boost", whereby the fans watching at home can vote for a driver to receive a horsepower boost for a limited period of time.

Enter third placed driver Olli Pahkala.

The average race pace for this event was a 1 minute 28 second lap. This is what the majority of the front runners were able to produce. When Olli received fan boost, it was supposed to only be for six seconds, instead, it appears he received fan boost for six laps. This meant he was able to lap in the 1 minute 26 range. This was not supposed to happen. Either that, or as Dario Franchitti said several times "He must've found a shortcut somewhere!".

Untitled.png

As Huis and Rosenqvist left their pitstops very late, they emerged behind Pahkala, who was still lapping at the abnormally quick pace. With only a couple of laps left, Pahkala had well and truly checked out and was on his way to winning the $200k. Why he received fan boost for such a long period of time, you ask? Well, that remains to be seen, but one thing was for certain: Bono Huis was not a happy camper.

The final podium ceremony was cringe-worthy to say the least as Felix Rosenqvist was the only driver to actually look happy. Huis and Pahkala both took hugely long periods of time before coming out on stage and at first I put this down to being shy, or something. But could there perhaps have been some more serious discussions going on behind the stage regarding Pahkala's miraculous pace?

Whether or not the details come out remains to be seen. There were some things that definitely need improvement for subsequent holdings of the event, like the unbelievably awkward post-race awards ceremony along with it's poor execution, but by and large, this was a positive boost for SimRacing to gain traction (pun intended) in the eSporting world, and to be taken more seriously. If real drivers are beginning to take it more seriously, then the rest of the motorsport community will sit up and take notice.

In terms of getting the sheer number of eyeballs on the event, yes it absolutely was a success, however the overall presentation of the race along with pre and post-race events, definitely needs more work. But it was a decent first go at it, and there is definitely the potential for a huge improvement in what is delivered at the next event.

Over to you!
What did you think of the Vegas eRace? Was it good for SimRacing, or are we destined for niche-ism?

***Update:
Olli Pahkala has taken a post-race penalty, demoting him to third place. This means Bono Huis takes first place for the Vegas eRace.

Last edited:
Marcel Kleene as a good point, Reiza did similiar project in the past with Copa de Marcas and that workout perfect.

Associator, ofcourse you had to say the rf2 would be better, you just can't resist :D because its the pinnacle of simulation and outblast everthing man created, even physicists use the rf2 tyre model to understand the universe and bla bla... sometimes more not equals better, but that just is my opinion in rf1 vs rf2.

Every sim company could put this together, going with Reiza probably should be the cheaper solution and certainly with very good results.

Marcel Kleene as a good point, Reiza did similiar project in the past with Copa de Marcas and that workout perfect.
But the same could have been done with rF2, just like with the rF2 demo. And besides, they already chose rF2.

Associator, ofcourse you had to say the rf2 would be better, you just can't resist :D because its the pinnacle of simulation and outblast everthing man created, even physicists use the rf2 tyre model to understand the universe and bla bla...
Many people got blinded by the thermal radiation of rF2's tire model, resulting in bad graphics. It's therefore majorly recommended to use major eye protection when going near rF2 tire modding.

sometimes more not equals better, but that just is my opinion in rf1 vs rf2.
rF2 is objectively and measurably better than rF1 in physics, graphics, netcode, race rule customizability etc.

Every sim company could put this together, going with Reiza probably should be the cheaper solution and certainly with very good results.
rF2 is a more open, advanced and forward looking platform with a clearer future, therefore a much better platform to promote simracing with.

There are people who believe that the earth was created in 7 days. What we believe or feel has basicly nothing to do with what is fact and completely irrelevant to this whole discussion, but still people brabble their usual nonesense without making some reasearch. The only fact is that Cloudsport f*cked up and failed to put the right people in the right positions. Maybe it would have been great to get devs from different teams and leagues to work on the content and organization properly to build a proper infrastructure. That would have been a good representation of what sim racing offers actually. But just keep going with your my sim vs. your sim nonesense. Just shows that people will go the same route in 2017 and for the years to come.

@Chris Stacey: I don't know why Associator allways catches the crap from the moderators, but maybe you should read up some pages above from some other usual suspects who just pull the troll-trigger and give everyone of them the same fair treatment as you did with Associator, who is a bit too passionate at times, but he is clearly not worse than people like Leynad. :)

Well, your belief is wrong.
You are bit annoying aren't you? you don't respect the opinion of anyone.

but since you are blessed with the absolute truth, why racing teams still use their softwares based on rf1? maybe because is more reliable and produces better results, than a highly advanced but complicated code, than even tyre manufacturers or f1 teams don´t have data for them.

sorry for the off-topic

Probably this event was the biggest display of simracing ever made, also being a huge opportunity to lift it as a proper eSport. Nothing takes away the fact there was a 1 million prize pool, broadcast by one of the major eSports channels and FIA being involved.

However the quality of the organization wasn't up to standards even for a league I would organize. The mod was terrible overall, even rF2 being one of the most awful looking sims out of the box, it shouldn't look this bad. I didn't drive the cars, so I won't have a go at physics, although the damage overall seemed really non realistic, as the suspension seemed like it was made of adamantium with the all the wall riding. Not even mentioning the unacceptable glitch with fanboost for an event of this scale.

Although I think it is questionable using rF2 for this event (as it can't even simulate electric engines in first place), if the mod was done properly it certainly was the best option given its set of features available to organize leagues, while also achieving the closest physics to real life within the available software (out of rFpro).
Maybe AC would be an interesting option as well, but I don't know how it would play out with all the extra software needed.

So overall I was really disappointed on how it came short given what the event could be. I hope it also brings more events like this for simracing, as it is waaaayyy more of an interesting eSport than CS, LOL or DOTA:D

rF2 is a more open, advanced and forward looking platform with a clearer future, therefore a much better platform to promote simracing with.

You shill so hard, but you miss the key point. Sim racing can't be promoted through the best racing platform if nobody is capable or willing to develop something for it that sells its image in a way that reflects its capacity.

rF2 is not a platform I'd call known for being polished or backed by a really strong development team. It may change as the new studio shows some work but until then Reiza or some other dev is a far better fit for selling the sim racing genre, not the least of which because guys like Reiza actually make money by developing custom builds for racing teams and simultaneously would know how to polish it to a high enough standard to not embarrass themselves at a major event. rF2 has nothing like that in hand right now.

Could be, I agree....but I'm sure the result done by Reiza would be great...and I believe no other sim has better physics than AMS...

You are probably one of the minority, who likes what Niels creates more. That's probably fine, but scientifically rF2 has the the widest range of deep under the hood technologies implemented.

Please take the time to read about it, and keep an open mind about you don't see at the moment.

One person is the world's richest person, one car is the fastest, one mountain is the highest. And yes, one simulator is the most advanced in vehicle dynamics. And that's rF2. Wether you like it or not.

...if you only choose the things you want to see and what not. That's pretty much pointless discussion, really.

Open minded people might see several different platforms to be much closer to each other than than the "tip of the major iceberg" keeps telling you.

You shill so hard, but you miss the key point. Sim racing can't be promoted through the best racing platform if nobody is capable or willing to develop something for it that sells its image in a way that reflects its capacity.

rF2 is not a platform I'd call known for being polished or backed by a really strong development team. It may change as the new studio shows some work but until then Reiza or some other dev is a far better fit for selling the sim racing genre, not the least of which because guys like Reiza actually make money by developing custom builds for racing teams and simultaneously would know how to polish it to a high enough standard to not embarrass themselves at a major event. rF2 has nothing like that in hand right now.

Why are you insisting on the fact that rF2 isn't polished enough to display what simracing is capable of? Take a look at where the big names from that event come from and where the most professional leagues come from. That's rF2 and iRacing with the quickest driver coming from rF and rF2. If that's not one good selling point for rF2 then I don't know.

What makes you believe that AMS would have worked any better in the hands of Cloud Sport?

That depends from what perspective you want to see things. Richest person in what, money? but maybe not the richest in happiness.. Fastest car in straight line or going around a Brands Hatch?

But, yes I do agreed with you, rf2 must be the most advanced software available for public, but it's the most reliable? from my prerspective is not better than rf1 besides the weather feature

I think people are totally missing the point, they got a comercial license to use rF2 so I guess no code access as they did it all with plugins. You mean you really want more plugins being injected in AMS? Are you crazy?
Anyway crapy work would still be crapy in AMS, plus they'd actually licence isi2.0 from ISI to make it (which would work if well done, and still be crapy if bad done), not AMS.
Is Reiza even allowed to do this kind of license?

I don't like this "sim is better than xxx" thing (even tho some are indeed more advanced than others) <SNIP>... check physic files from rF2 and compare to anything rF1/AMS out there, do the same with the software itself and features present on them. No need to understand much, just do a quick read in files with the comments, take a look at the physic dev blogs ISI started if you can.

Mod edited - please avoid personal comments about other members

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty much all mods are poor quality, converted from something else or just poorly done. URD Endurance GT was the only one I liked so far. The rest is meh... at the best.

Maybe you should do some research about mods then before you say that all mods are of poor quality and conversions. Wanna have an example? If I check the most liked mods for rF2 on steam workshop I see quite a big viarity of content, scratch made aswell as converted, 1st party aswell as 3rd party. If you think that the Caterham, Nagaro or Bugatti are of poor quality then you have some pretty damn high standards for quality that are far from realistic. Oulton Park is a conversion from TOCA afaik wich has incredibly high quality considering the source. What about the stuff from ASR? Crap quality aswell?

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back