FIA Vegas eRace - Was it good for SimRacing?

Chris

Premium
eRace1.jpg
2017 is now well and truly underway, and for many months prior to this day, a select group of SimRacers have been practicing their rear end's off in order to have the best shot at winning the 200,000 dollar cash prize on offer from the inaugural Vegas eRace.

Whilst the chance to see the worlds best SimRacers going head-to-head with real life professional drivers is a tasty proposition, did the Vegas eRace really capitalise on SimRacing's very first mass-market production?

In some respects, yes it did. It gained far and away the largest viewership that SimRacing has ever had, and given the money that was thrown at it, that's not surprising. It had the backing from large corporate entities such as VISA, the FIA and the Formula E teams themselves, which meant that out of all the SimRacing events that have taken place over the decades, this one was far and away the heaviest hitter. Utilising the real life commentary team of Jack Nicholls and Dario Franchitti also helped boost the cause of the event and gave it more credibility. It really wasn't too distant from a real life Formula E race.

However, the driving standards were what the majority of those of us in this little niche were curious to see. In the past, Formula E has run similar events, albeit on a smaller scale, at race events with the fans. A couple of real Formula E drivers would go head-to-head with a fan (or several) at the Simulator-zone, which every single time, would result in a crash-fest so bad it made public lobby racing look cleaner than a vacuum-sealed laboratory, as the everyday fan had no clue what they were doing, and the drivers themselves simply didn't care as it was all a big joke.

eRace2.jpg

Given that 200,000 'Big Ones' were on the line, the drivers taking part no doubt had to take things a little more seriously, but would there be enough time for them to get up to speed with basic SimRacing skills in order to avoid taking someone out and potentially costing them a life-changing amount of money?

Well, the driving standards from the real life drivers had improved. The only massive incident coming when David Greco tried to go three wide through the fast chicane, causing a large pile-up and significant damage. This is no different to any pro-league race you'll find. Driving standards are never going to be perfect. But with so much money on the line, and more eyeballs on the race than SimRacing has ever had, every incident is magnified and scrutinised just that much more.

As for the presentation of the race, well I actually thought it was pretty impressive. The on-screen graphics were well done, the commentary was, as expected, good, and the replays all fed into a nice production that can definitely be learned from and improved upon in future events. However, since Formula E had chosen rFactor 2 as their simulator of choice, the graphics of the actual cars, the track and it's surrounding were simply not up to par with what e-Sports expects and demands from it's productions. rFactor 2 is not the worst looking game, but it's certainly not what you'd call 'Eye Candy'.

eRace3.jpg

Sure, the cars and the track they used were a massive step up from previous e-Races they've done (which, let's be honest, looked like they were straight out of a PlayStation 1 game), the images seen from the race were a far cry from the beautiful images you see coming from the likes of Forza and Gran Turismo.

But rFactor was chosen for one simple reason. It's pretty much the only simulator that can pull something like this off given that iRacing does not have a Formula E car lying around. Had iRacing actually had a Formula E car at it's disposal, then that would have unquestionably been the platform of choice for this event. But even so, the best was made with what they had available.

But already there is controversy brewing. With just a handful of laps until the end of the 20 lap race, Bono Huis and Felix Rosenqvist were running one-two and had amassed a fairly substantial lead over the rest of the pack. However, Formula E uses a thing called "Fan Boost", whereby the fans watching at home can vote for a driver to receive a horsepower boost for a limited period of time.

Enter third placed driver Olli Pahkala.

The average race pace for this event was a 1 minute 28 second lap. This is what the majority of the front runners were able to produce. When Olli received fan boost, it was supposed to only be for six seconds, instead, it appears he received fan boost for six laps. This meant he was able to lap in the 1 minute 26 range. This was not supposed to happen. Either that, or as Dario Franchitti said several times "He must've found a shortcut somewhere!".

Untitled.png

As Huis and Rosenqvist left their pitstops very late, they emerged behind Pahkala, who was still lapping at the abnormally quick pace. With only a couple of laps left, Pahkala had well and truly checked out and was on his way to winning the $200k. Why he received fan boost for such a long period of time, you ask? Well, that remains to be seen, but one thing was for certain: Bono Huis was not a happy camper.

The final podium ceremony was cringe-worthy to say the least as Felix Rosenqvist was the only driver to actually look happy. Huis and Pahkala both took hugely long periods of time before coming out on stage and at first I put this down to being shy, or something. But could there perhaps have been some more serious discussions going on behind the stage regarding Pahkala's miraculous pace?

Whether or not the details come out remains to be seen. There were some things that definitely need improvement for subsequent holdings of the event, like the unbelievably awkward post-race awards ceremony along with it's poor execution, but by and large, this was a positive boost for SimRacing to gain traction (pun intended) in the eSporting world, and to be taken more seriously. If real drivers are beginning to take it more seriously, then the rest of the motorsport community will sit up and take notice.

In terms of getting the sheer number of eyeballs on the event, yes it absolutely was a success, however the overall presentation of the race along with pre and post-race events, definitely needs more work. But it was a decent first go at it, and there is definitely the potential for a huge improvement in what is delivered at the next event.

Over to you!
What did you think of the Vegas eRace? Was it good for SimRacing, or are we destined for niche-ism?

***Update:
Olli Pahkala has taken a post-race penalty, demoting him to third place. This means Bono Huis takes first place for the Vegas eRace.

Last edited:
Real life racing has just as many controversial moments, what's the big deal? Most F1 discussions aren't actually about the racing. Anyone remember the godawful F1 qualifying early last season for example?

So, they can improve, and should improve, but it's not like it was a complete failure as some people are making out. We'll have to see if they learn from the mistakes and build on the successes.

It's a case of the Visa & FIA not understanding sim racing an getting bad advice, it was just a $$$ PR stunt that ended badly. Sure it can only improve from here, lets hope for the next event a major game dev steps up to the plate an shows how it can be done.

I feel the same way as most people. In practice and in theory it should work. Get a load of virtual and sim racers together, get a virtual track built that they can't race on IRL and have a race for $$$. It should work, but sadly it didn't.
The problem for me comes down to the fact that, simply, sim racing isn't real and as a result, crashes don't hurt. In real life you wouldn't go for a three wide move into a fast S bend because you are likely to hurt yourself and hurt others, and lose your racing license in the process. There isn't the instant penalty in sim racing as there is IRL. This is made even worse when there is $ thrown in.
Unfortunately, they also used the wrong software for the job - rF2 simply isn't up to what they want to do. If they wanted to do it properly they'd likely have iRacing (which a) most of the sim racers know and b) where the penalty system might deter audacious moves) laser scan the area and car, build it properly and release it as official content so iRacing get something out of it as well.
A great idea, but poorly thought through and executed.

Why to have to deal the mod has Mak-corp? Studio397 would have made 100x better!!
Shame has cloud sport streaming was poor quality!!
Rfactor2 is very good for the physics / FFB when one it is to use it..
And even if for the graphic part he is not top, I had the impression that it was rf2 of it is 6 years old there ...:sick:
Stop talking about iracing they would have asked the million dollars for them...:roflmao:

Last edited:
Why to have to deal the mod has Mak-corp? Studio397 would have made 100x better!!
Shame has cloud sport streaming was poor quality!!
Rfactor2 is very good for the physics / FFB when one it is to use it..
And even if for the graphic part he is not top, I had the impression that it was rf2 of it is 6 years old there ...:sick:
Stop talking about iracing they would have asked the million dollars for them...:roflmao:

This race had nothing to do with Mak Corp.

One of the worst things was the chat... the 4chan level of chatting that is present on most games nowadays man... I really miss the internet of 10+ years ago
I agree, the Twitch chat was seriously one of the worst things I've ever seen. One of the easiest and best things they can do to improve for next time (if there is a next time) is to simply disable comments all together. It literally adds nothing other than giving an outlet for a bunch of internet trolls.

I feel the same way as most people. In practice and in theory it should work. Get a load of virtual and sim racers together, get a virtual track built that they can't race on IRL and have a race for $$$. It should work, but sadly it didn't.
The problem for me comes down to the fact that, simply, sim racing isn't real and as a result, crashes don't hurt. In real life you wouldn't go for a three wide move into a fast S bend because you are likely to hurt yourself and hurt others, and lose your racing license in the process. There isn't the instant penalty in sim racing as there is IRL. This is made even worse when there is $ thrown in.
Unfortunately, they also used the wrong software for the job - rF2 simply isn't up to what they want to do. If they wanted to do it properly they'd likely have iRacing (which a) most of the sim racers know and b) where the penalty system might deter audacious moves) laser scan the area and car, build it properly and release it as official content so iRacing get something out of it as well.

Nail, head, hit :thumbsup: so true.

rF2 is perfectly capable of doing what they wanted to do.

Ah you miss the l33t omg hax0r Pwnd!!!1 days.... :p
It had its trolls but in far smaller scale IMO

All of that is probably more versatile, easier/cheaper done in rF2 than iRacing (and you got the real weather option still). Lazy job from Cloud Sport. Just take a look at their other competition (Leon Cup) with cars disappearing in TV camera in last round, ridiculous. Instead of only getting the comercial license they should have tried to pay a bit more and get more support from ISI/S397. Heck they had the option to hire experienced plugin creators from the modding comunity to do this, which shows how versatily rF2 can be for this kind of event
(jump to 1:03:28)

About the event; I don't think this was bad for simracing. But the problem is that I don't see it either good.

If there is one to praise, is the promotion coming from Formula E guys. They have done a lot of advertising, involving the sim guys with real teams, etc. The audiovisual production of the event was rather nice, it was cool to see some of our fellow competitors in that event. It was also cool to see again Nicholls commenting a sim race :) Sure, there are few things that could have been better, talk a bit perhaps about the achievements of the sim guys, a bit more post-race show, etc, but overall it was quite good. On the other hand, we got a quite bad execution of the organizers of the event, aka Cloud Sports. The event starting too late, with less laps than it should, some driver that couldn't race, the fanboost glitch (stuff that tells you there was little time spent in making sure that everything was working as it should), and then we have the really bad looking track(and poor layout design as well)... it's like everything was rushed, or they didn't put enough resources into making a top job like the FE organisation did. Or both things.

Objectively speaking, and talking only about the race itself, it was below the standards that we have from the biggest sim leagues from iRacing/rF2 etc. There was nothing there that made a difference compared to what we do. And on top of this the whole thing runs in a very uninteresting car and tracks, compared to the stuff we use to race/watch in other sim leagues, with F1 cars, GTs, Prototypes etc around the best circuits in the world. For the sim guys, for sure this event was a dream; their names are now being spammed in the media, and they got a very nice amout of money.

Now, coming back to my first sentence; I don't see this as a bad thing (how can this hurt?), but neither as a good thing. Basically because I don't see anything pushing simracing as esport here, what I see is just Formula E marketing department using simracing in order to target their own championship within the young people. That's why the prize pot was so high (1 million $), not because they needed so much (sim guys would have gone for way less), but because it got the attention of the media. I don't know if it was worth for them, but for sure it was more worth for them than for simracing world. Even more considering what a poor show the Cloud Sports guys shown with that content.

Haven't watched the race but I was curious about viewership so here are some numbers. They had a peak of 11,556 live viewers, and an average of 6,231. It's not as impressive as it sounds, as the channel(ELEAGUE TV) often goes in the 6 digits with their CS:GO streams. Interesting to note that they went for Twitch rather than YouTube this time(targetting a younger crowd? I'm sure having a few confused FPS addicts stopping by mid-race was all part of the plan)

Probably the most viewed simracing event of all times as expected. Whether it's worth the few millions Formula E and their sponsors throw at these events is another question. I'm really surprised they are single handedly trying to turn a struggling niche into a spectator sport. Especially when other series are having cold feet, and the iR World Championships get a few hundred viewers at best.

Great stats :inlove:
Is there any numbers on which are the most popular online racing games ?
I would be interested to know why RF2 was chosen

rF2 is perfectly capable of doing what they wanted to do.
What I mean is there isn't the instant penalty system for taking people out like there is in e.g. iRacing. If you hit someone off the road, you lose iRating and are disqualified if you do it too often. rF2 is capable as an online game for casual organised leagues just for fun (the leagues on RD are the perfect example of this) but not when there is a large prize involved and people do things that they wouldn't if it is just for fun. I personally am not a fan of iRacing but you can't deny the organised races are top notch.

What I mean is there isn't the instant penalty system for taking people out like there is in e.g. iRacing. If you hit someone off the road, you lose iRating and are disqualified if you do it too often. rF2 is capable as an online game for casual organised leagues just for fun (the leagues on RD are the perfect example of this) but not when there is a large prize involved and people do things that they wouldn't if it is just for fun. I personally am not a fan of iRacing but you can't deny the organised races are top notch.
rF2 does have an auto penalty system for contacts actually ;) also it's a pro compeition with a lot of money involved, they should have live stewards not automated system so even if it was iRacing they should not make use of auto system as it is never perfect and has its flaws

rFactor 2 actually it's way more flexible than iRacing for this kind of events. Plus you don't need any automatized penalty system when you have FIA live stewards.

Great stats :inlove:
Is there any numbers on which are the most popular online racing games ?
I would be interested to know why RF2 was chosen
I'm curious about the numbers, too.
The only thing I could find is graphs from Steam, but they just show the number of players, not necessarily doing multiplayer.
Comparing Assetto Corsa, f1 2016, rF2 (only Steam accounts) and Project Cars, well Assetto Corsa seems to have the edge at the moment. Automobilista seems far behind, and iRacing mostly does not use Steam.
http://steamcharts.com/cmp/244210,391040,365960,234630#3m

The graph shows how many people are playing the game at a given time.
upload_2017-1-8_22-50-41.png

Of course a more important piece of information would be knowing which online leagues are the most important.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back