Ferrucci's Trident Contract Terminated Following Ban

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Santino Ferrucci Sacked.jpg

American F1 hopeful Santino Ferrucci has been dropped by the Trident F2 team following the two-event ban handed out at the latest Silverstone F2 race last week.

Ferrucci found himself under the wrath of the stewards for a number of disappointing and unsportsmanlike actions at Silverstone last time out, eventually winding up with a considerable dent of 66,000 euros in his bank account and a two event, four race ban from Formula Two for his troubles, something the American continues to feel the pain of now that his current Formula Two team, Trident, confirm legal action has been taken to tear up the contract between team and driver this season.

Initially coming under the microscope for a number of unsavoury moves during the last race weekend, Ferrucci would finally crack at the conclusion of the F2 Sprint race, making deliberate contact with his Trident team "mate" Arjun Maini on the slowing down lap, compounding his position by then being spotted driving between the F1 and F2 paddock with a mobile phone in his hand before then failing to attend the subsequent official enquiry at the circuit, later citing an unspecified family matter that required a rapid departure from the British venue.

With Ferrucci seemingly remorseful following his actions and ban by the FIA, going on to apologise for his behaviour during the weekend, it seems like Trident are in no mood to forgive and forget, the team confirming legal action has been instigated by the squad as they look to remove the American from the team and recoup monies allegedly owed to them from unpaid sponsorship, another nail in the coffin of the 20-year-old driver and his chances of remaining with the squad following the conclusion of his ban from the upcoming Spa and Hungaroring events.

The statement from Trident certainly pulled no punches about how they now feel towards Ferrucci:

"Trident Motorsport informs to have communicated to Santino Ferrucci and to its guarantor, a company represented by Mr. Michael Ferrucci, the termination of the contract with the Team.

"This decision was motivated by the events - which are now of public domain - occurred at Silverstone, as well as by the serious breach of driver's payment obligations.

"Since the beginning of the championship, the driver justified its payment default with alleged failure by his sponsors to fulfil their obligations.

"It seems weird that, despite such kind of issues, Santino Ferrucci had the resources needed to enter the Detroit IndyCar race from June 1-3 while, at the same time, he was not honoring his agreement with Trident Motorsport.

"Trident gave mandate to its lawyers in order to activate all the procedures needed to fully recover its credits towards the driver."

With the driver also contracted to the Haas Formula One team for this year, it remains to be seen how the disgrace of Silverstone and subsequent sacking from Trident will play out with the relatively young Grand Prix squad... watch this space...

For more news from the motorsport world be sure to check out the Motorsport Sub Forum here at RaceDepartment - Join in the discussion today!

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Do you think Trident are right in letting Ferrucci go? Can the American redeem himself and still make it to Formula One, in your opinion? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Yes. He has also been accused of being a racist and, with his father, personally insulting his teammate. The Silverstone disgrace is already enough to define his behaviour. He has a long way to go to redeem himself, getting better pace and finding a new team. Haas should definitely not rush to sign, maybe relieve him of his role at the team until he learns how to display sportsmanship, which he lacks.

although it sounds like the fact that he wasn't paying money to the team , more then anything else :) and the incident was just a last drop

yeah, definitely way to ruin a career, although if there is money behind him , I suppose he will find another spot elsewhere

This is his career now, hopefully worldwide a lesson will be learned how to act on global television.
giphy-downsized.gif

I suspect his days of touching any F1 machinery are over as well.
Sometimes you just can't fix stupid.
Shouldn't have behaved badly in the first place but barring that, he should have immediately asked for forgiveness.
Mocking his south asian teammate, while trying to get MAGA on the car was just plain idiotic.
'Stick a fork in him'.....he's done.

As much as I'd love to see a fellow American earn a seat in F1, apparently Santino Ferrucci isn't the man for the job. Alex Rossi is well-entrenched in IndyCar, and doing rather well with it. Who else is up and coming, and possibly interested in a seat?

Konrad Czaczyk
Kyle Kaiser
Cameron Das
Zach Veach

Paul Jeffrey

Premium

"Mike is small, neatly goateed, and beyond friendly. He does not seem at all sports dad-y, except that he is extraordinarily supportive, to the extent that he bought his son a racetrack: the aforementioned Oakland Valley Race Park in Cuddebackville, New York. It was the closest track to their home, about two hours away with no traffic. "When I saw how expensive [this sport] was, I said, 'We may as well buy a track.' It's funny how things just happen."

My 4-year-old son will get to Formula One no worries, reading the above just totally mirrors my own thoughts and intentions.....

FFS, this is what kills motorsport for the average person....

Sorry for the off topic..

well, it takes a very good parents and strong kid, if you are growing up in rich family , so that you won't become an asshat, and this boy just proves it

yeah, it's sad that motorsport isn't as much about the skills, as it is about the money that you bring

that's why I really like things like GT academy, where money is provided so it's only about the skills

As much as I'd love to see a fellow American earn a seat in F1, apparently Santino Ferrucci isn't the man for the job. Alex Rossi is well-entrenched in IndyCar, and doing rather well with it. Who else is up and coming, and possibly interested in a seat?

Konrad Czaczyk
Kyle Kaiser
Cameron Das
Zach Veach
The ironic part in all of this....
There's lots of better young talent out there...from all corners of the globe.
In their quest to get an American driver back into F1, this would almost certainly have been a 'done' deal.
All he really had to do was have a decent 'showing' and Haas probably would have moved him into a seat in the not too distant future.
He more likely than not would have been promoted over better drivers, just to have access to the American market.

Last edited:
Young lad.. not entirely his fault. Most likely his parent's. They probably taught him to think he's the superstar and entitled to everything he wants.
I hope this chain of unfortunate events will humbled him.

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 88 19.0%
  • €151-500

Votes: 123 26.6%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 80 17.3%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 41 8.9%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 46 9.9%
  • €3001-5000