F2004 - Kunos vs ASR thoughts

Hopefully the right place to post this... if not apologies...

I've had a go in the Kunos one (spent 90 mins in it!) this morning around Monza and did a 1:21.698, which is +1.097 slower than my best time in the ASR F2004 (1:20.601). I would say that the ASR car was quick out of the box, but the Kunos one needed a lot of setup work to get it to where I could do that time (has loads of understeer with default setup to me). Once I got the setup right, they feel very close in terms of handling, grip, etc in my opinion.

As far as the 1 second difference goes, there will obviously be a few very small differences between my 2 laps, but I am also wondering if the difference comes from engine power. The ASR one is listed as 950bhp, where as the Kunos is 865bhp. That's a significant difference in a car that weighs so little. Obviously Ferrari never really released the true specs for the engine, but I'd imagine in real life and certainly in qualifying trim, it would be closer to 950 than 865.

Interested to know everyone else's thoughts who have tried both :D

Here's my 2 laps (TV cam then onboard):

ASR (+0.512 slower than Barrichello's 2004 pole lap):

Kunos:

Well, it's pretty simple:
  • Whenever a mod gets an official brother, then the mod becomes void.
This applies to cars as much as it applied to all the tracks we've gotten over the years (Barca, Nords, RedBull Ring), therefore the comparison is a bit pointless but I don't wanna take nothing away from your efforts here though. It's just the way it is.

Audibly at least the two are so similar, it makes me wonder if Kunos licensed the some/all of the ASR model (I think they did something similar with the 787B).
Does anyone know if the official car is a complete build from scratch?

I like both. The ASR mod and the official one.
For a mod the ASR F2004 feels very good for me and is quite close handling wise to the kunos car.
The kunos car feels tighter which I dont see as a pro (more setup work needed).

So for me there is no clear winner between both cars.

Audibly at least the two are so similar, it makes me wonder if Kunos licensed the some/all of the ASR model (I think they did something similar with the 787B).
Does anyone know if the official car is a complete build from scratch?
I don't have the answer to that but agree it would be interesting to know.

It is possible to do lower than 1:21 on Monza with Kunos version.
No doubt. Maybe I need to trim out the wings a bit more and get a perfect lap, but I wasn't going to spend anymore time on it :D It took me a lot less time to get down to the 1:20s with the ASR version - my best lap in the ASR was on my 23rd lap, best with Kunos one was on my 56th!

I like both. The ASR mod and the official one.
For a mod the ASR F2004 feels very good for me and is quite close handling wise to the kunos car.
The kunos car feels tighter which I dont see as a pro (more setup work needed).

So for me there is no clear winner between both cars.

Completely agree with this - a lot more setup work to get the Kunos version to go as fast as the ASR one. I really don't know which I would choose to drive when/if I next want to drive the F2004 :confused:

Well, it's pretty simple:
  • Whenever a mod gets an official brother, then the mod becomes void.
This applies to cars as much as it applied to all the tracks we've gotten over the years (Barca, Nords, RedBull Ring), therefore the comparison is a bit pointless but I don't wanna take nothing away from your efforts here though. It's just the way it is.

RSS F1 2017 car is way better than Kunos' ferrari 2017.

More detailed, more realistic, more fun to drive.

RSS sets the benchmark for car models in Assetto Corsa. Way ahead of everyone else, including Kunos.

For tracks, Kunos has the edge, maybe because they know their limitations. But it is very rare I use the original tracks, apart from Spa and Nordschleife, the rest are boring.

RSS F1 2017 car is way better than Kunos' ferrari 2017.

More detailed, more realistic, more fun to drive.

RSS sets the benchmark for car models in Assetto Corsa. Way ahead of everyone else, including Kunos.

For tracks, Kunos has the edge, maybe because they know their limitations. But it is very rare I use the original tracks, apart from Spa and Nordschleife, the rest are boring.

Agree with this 100%. RSS are the benchmark for cars.

I did have a go in the Kunos SF70-H this morning, again at Monza, and got to with in 1.5 tenths of my best time in RSS Hybrid, but again the Kunos car needed a lot of setup changes to get it driveable for me and the RSS car is much more fun to drive, and even sounds better.

There's a lot of great mod tracks out there, but the Kunos ones just have that bit more authenticity (being laser scanned for the most part). Unfortunately there isn't enough Kunos tracks. I saw a recent interview with one of the Kunos guys, and they said for the time/budget spent to make a track, they can make 20 cars, so you can understand why there aren't that many official tracks.

I do not want to take away anything from ASR, RSS and other modding groups, but when an official car is released based on at least approximated real data, saying that RSS is more realistic feels really out of place. Sure, RSS beats the CAD based Kunos model too, nice comparison.

I don't mind statements about what is more fun to drive, though, but that carries a bit of subjectivity with itself.

I myself enjoy both the F2004 and SF70H very very much. As for the comparison with ASRs F2004, the moment the official one was announced I didn't really put any mileage into the ASR, but the Kunos F2004 is mental to drive for me. Much better than the 0.6 version of the ASR F2004 I drove before they released it for free.

There's a lot of great mod tracks out there, but the Kunos ones just have that bit more authenticity (being laser scanned for the most part). Unfortunately there isn't enough Kunos tracks. I saw a recent interview with one of the Kunos guys, and they said for the time/budget spent to make a track, they can make 20 cars, so you can understand why there aren't that many official tracks.

The laser-scan thing is overrated. Unless you've driven the track yourself, a decent road mesh will be just as good. I don't need a storm drain to be in the right place for an exciting race track. Some fantasy tracks would be very welcome. Gran Turismo had some amazing ones that almost became real life locations the more laps you did.

The laser-scan thing is overrated.
Even graphics was overrated when we drove with a GeForce 2 Mx. Now luckily we're almost 20 years ahead and it's an important part of every sim.
Laser scan is indeed overrated if you are not interested in accuracy and replicating real life conditions. :rolleyes:

I do not want to take away anything from ASR, RSS and other modding groups, but when an official car is released based on at least approximated real data, saying that RSS is more realistic feels really out of place. Sure, RSS beats the CAD based Kunos model too, nice comparison.

It depends on what do we understand by "aproximated real data". For example, the F2004 downforce levels are on par with 2000 F1 cars. And the SF70H on 2015 levels.

At this point I'm not convinced that those who think the RSS 2017 car is better than the SF70-H have any idea how to drive. For the F2004 cars it's a bit closer, but mostly because the Kunos F2004 is simply not as well done.

The laser-scan thing is overrated. Unless you've driven the track yourself, a decent road mesh will be just as good. I don't need a storm drain to be in the right place for an exciting race track. Some fantasy tracks would be very welcome. Gran Turismo had some amazing ones that almost became real life locations the more laps you did.

Oh, just imagine the classics in a proper sim. High Speed Ring, Midfield, Grand Valley...

It depends on what do we understand by "aproximated real data". For example, the F2004 downforce levels are on par with 2000 F1 cars. And the SF70H on 2015 levels.
Out of curiousity, how do you come to that conclusion?

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back