F1 2018 F1 2018: Final Developer Diary

F1 2018 The Game (Codemasters)

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
The final developer diary for F1 2018 is here, just 3 days before the official release of the latest Formula One game from Codemasters.

This is set to be the final developer diary video release from Codemasters prior to the title dropping on console and PC in just a couple of days time, and focusses on the art and audio side of the racing game currently preparing for release this August 24th.

According to Codemasters, the new game is a considerable step forward in the graphics department over previous releases, "utilising physically based rendering to improve the overall look and feel of the game and get it as close to reality as possible". This is certainly proven out in the time I've had with F1 2018, as I believe the title is an impressive improvement from early versions and shows a very nice little attention to detail with things such as the underfloor sparks and dusty off line track surface.. all positive little touches that add to the overall atmosphere of the title.

“The biggest win visually is in the atmospherics,” said F1 2018’s Art Director, Stuart Campbell. “This year we’ve got a full atmospherics system that gives you a greater sense of depth from the scene, and it makes for some really stunning vistas.”

Stuart continued: “One of the most iconic things for me about F1® as a sport is seeing that heat haze on the start straight: the heat rising from the track and from the engine exhausts, and in the mirage effect that you see reflecting in the track. We’ve added a full heat haze and mirage system to our visual effects for this year, and it makes a huge difference in the replay cameras and on track when you’re racing.”

F1 2018.jpg

F1 2018 will release on Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC August 24th 2018.

Check out the Formula One 2018 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for the latest news and community discussion around this exciting new Formula One game. If mods are your thing then fear not, we have you covered! Check out the F1 2018 Mods Forum for the latest and greatest release from the community!.

Enjoy what we do here at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Looking forward to F1 2018? Do you like the look of the new game? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
It sounds like the FFB is better which is good, but unless i'm wrong I think there's still a few shortcomings here:

-no virtual mirror
-no mouse support
-triple screens not supported (i'm talking proper support, not stretched)
-VR

Mirror use looks bad! on a single screen i want to see cars coming behind/beside me, on most vids it looks like mirrors cant be used like this until you increase the fov. Damage to the car also seems a bit strange or the lack of it if you know what i mean .On f1 2018 i am going to wait see what users views are before i part with my money have had all of the hype before to be let down many a time, hoping it will be good though but lets see!

Last edited:
I think the negativity may have something to do with the fact that a lot of people like the sport, or used to, and want a title that feels as close as possible to driving an F1 car. Most haven't driven one but somehow the feeling you expect just isn't there. I think the comparisons go towards AMS, rF2, RR and AC as they all feel more like driving.
Codemasters have literally had years to get this stuff right or better, yet people are being charged full price for what amounts, in most cases, as patchwork...
I've got a couple of the F1 games and whilst I enjoyed them for a few hours they just never hold my attention long enough.
I'll always switch back to lapping rF2 or online with AC over the predominantly single player game of F1 titles...

To those that don't like what hasn't been released yet and are critical in spite of the hours/days/months put in to try to make an enjoyable F1 game....I have these words.............

Show me that you can do better
Or just go boot up a proper sim instead. No need to try and suddenly become a game programmer and hire a team as large as Codemasters to try and prove something impossible to you. :whistling::thumbsup:

Alright, from now on I'm not reading these news items about F1 2018. The comments section is too annoying. I've never seen a game that attracts so much negativity. Seriously folks, get a grip.

The so called negativity you probably are offering too on here are from people who want the game to succeed, they want a good f1 game ,mentioning these things overtime should help the game developers see what we would like to see in the game, most of the time i feel this is helpful, codemasters have released many f1 game s over the years some with many issues reported that have been put right over time making it a better game, people i think want to see a class f1 game trouble is people of me generation who had Geoff Crammonds f1 where rather spoilt!

I think the negativity may have something to do with the fact that a lot of people like the sport, or used to, and want a title that feels as close as possible to driving an F1 car. Most haven't driven one but somehow the feeling you expect just isn't there. I think the comparisons go towards AMS, rF2, RR and AC as they all feel more like driving.
Codemasters have literally had years to get this stuff right or better, yet people are being charged full price for what amounts, in most cases, as patchwork...
I've got a couple of the F1 games and whilst I enjoyed them for a few hours they just never hold my attention long enough.
I'll always switch back to lapping rF2 or online with AC over the predominantly single player game of F1 titles...
I agree with you, I bought F1 2017 and AC at the same time, yet I only played 45 hours at F1 2017 (and never touched the game since October 2017) and played 550 hours at AC. In AC, you feel the car better. In F1 2017, you can put the brake bias to 48% and still have a great rear stability. Do that on AC and you'll lose the rear on the braking zones. Also, in F1 2017, the car were way too stable compared to the reality, you couldn't lose the car on the entry, while on AC you feel every oversteer/understeer. Also, the FFB was quite poor (I've read it has been improved for F1 2018).

The so called negativity you probably are offering too on here are from people who want the game to succeed, they want a good f1 game ,mentioning these things overtime should help the game developers see what we would like to see in the game, most of the time i feel this is helpful, codemasters have released many f1 game s over the years some with many issues reported that have been put right over time making it a better game, people i think want to see a class f1 game trouble is people of me generation who had Geoff Crammonds f1 where rather spoilt!
Yes, some people would like to see the return of the local multiplayer and the split screen. They ask that since 2015. Yet, Codies seem to not care. What a shame

I don't have any stretching on my triples in 2017, I created a custom res in Nvidia surround and matched it in game with no issues

That would result in an stretch view unless there is an "multiview" checkbox, otherwise the game would not know if you using an superwide monitor or angled triples.

You could do that in RaceRoom as well before they added true triple support some time ago.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.