F1 2018 F1 2018: Final Developer Diary

F1 2018 The Game (Codemasters)

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
The final developer diary for F1 2018 is here, just 3 days before the official release of the latest Formula One game from Codemasters.

This is set to be the final developer diary video release from Codemasters prior to the title dropping on console and PC in just a couple of days time, and focusses on the art and audio side of the racing game currently preparing for release this August 24th.

According to Codemasters, the new game is a considerable step forward in the graphics department over previous releases, "utilising physically based rendering to improve the overall look and feel of the game and get it as close to reality as possible". This is certainly proven out in the time I've had with F1 2018, as I believe the title is an impressive improvement from early versions and shows a very nice little attention to detail with things such as the underfloor sparks and dusty off line track surface.. all positive little touches that add to the overall atmosphere of the title.

“The biggest win visually is in the atmospherics,” said F1 2018’s Art Director, Stuart Campbell. “This year we’ve got a full atmospherics system that gives you a greater sense of depth from the scene, and it makes for some really stunning vistas.”

Stuart continued: “One of the most iconic things for me about F1® as a sport is seeing that heat haze on the start straight: the heat rising from the track and from the engine exhausts, and in the mirage effect that you see reflecting in the track. We’ve added a full heat haze and mirage system to our visual effects for this year, and it makes a huge difference in the replay cameras and on track when you’re racing.”

F1 2018.jpg

F1 2018 will release on Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC August 24th 2018.

Check out the Formula One 2018 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for the latest news and community discussion around this exciting new Formula One game. If mods are your thing then fear not, we have you covered! Check out the F1 2018 Mods Forum for the latest and greatest release from the community!.

Enjoy what we do here at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Looking forward to F1 2018? Do you like the look of the new game? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
its lasted for me, since 2010, but ok. whatever you play as a "hardcore simracer" its still just a game, don't fool yourself.

Its statements like that that make the rest of the world think we really are plebs

...people i think want to see a class f1 game trouble is people of me generation who had Geoff Crammonds f1 where rather spoilt!
I used to think Grand Prix 2 is da best game, ever, and that better will simply never be made. :inlove:
Cause that's not even possible, right ? I couldn't imagine that, at that time.
Today, if I would start it up (somehow) I would probably just give it a nostalgic smile for a sec and that's it, closing fastest then I slam my door to the Jehovah's witnesses, those pixels would kill all the joy. And all the rest.
I have restored game from my avatar recently on my hard drive ...somewhere. Music is great, love those menus and car setup but boy... I really can't watch at it anymore. Sorry Microsoft, it's me.
We become more and more nitpicking prone as years gone by. Which is good, we make them made better and better games but it's thin line between constructive criticism and perversion.
Some things are, surprisingly, still missing from this latest game but I'm the first one to admit it... yes, sometimes I'm a real perv. :redface:
Guys... most of us here are hardcore simracers in the age range of between 20 and 60+
Good to hear I'm still "in the range". :D

Last edited:
I don't think people are being too critical of Codie. It's just that Codie has had the licence for over a year and they either keep recycling the same game over and over with no new innovation and touting features as " New"that were in before (Interviews) and taken out and then adding meaningless feature to their so call "Career Mode" which really isn't when you are just racing alone in a sandbox imaginary F1 world...No Silly Season with the AI which is strongly part of a real F1 career and Formula 1.

whatever you play as a "hardcore simracer" its still just a game, don't fool yourself.
Most of these Sims are used by racing drivers and teams...
Professional versions used and modified by real racing teams. So you may want to check who is being fooled.

Its statements like that that make the rest of the world think we really are plebs

Oh no... you mean there are people out there that think people who use sims are plebs?
Couldn't give less of a [insert "flying" and a chosen swear word here] and, the fact that you appear to do so, means you're not really proud of your pastime and could mean you need to check what your hobbies are for fear of not being pigeon holed into the right social group?

Most of these Sims are used by racing drivers and teams...
Professional versions used and modified by real racing teams. So you may want to check who is being fooled.
Well, AC is "sim racing video game". And definition of video game is
"a game played by electronically manipulating images produced by a computer program on a monitor or other display."
So he is also right ;)

of course I am, but this is the world we live in nowadays, precious snowflakes getting upset by opinions from strangers, and then moving forward, attempting to alienate and vilify the individual with what they should or shouldn't do, how they should be RE proudness of hobby, and that they should also look at their hobbies in the first place, whilst also trying to infer that just because professionals use them (a version of at best) that means we can pretend we are just as good as them.

I guess that same logic makes you a Tier one operator if you play ARMA 3 yes?

"local shop....for local people....there's nothing for you here!!!!"

I agree with you, I bought F1 2017 and AC at the same time, yet I only played 45 hours at F1 2017 (and never touched the game since October 2017) and played 550 hours at AC. In AC, you feel the car better. In F1 2017, you can put the brake bias to 48% and still have a great rear stability. Do that on AC and you'll lose the rear on the braking zones. Also, in F1 2017, the car were way too stable compared to the reality, you couldn't lose the car on the entry, while on AC you feel every oversteer/understeer. Also, the FFB was quite poor (I've read it has been improved for F1 2018).
It seems to me that Codemasters are simply not trying to make a 'SIM'. They have made a 'Racing game'. I believe they have done this to attract a wider audience. Perhaps the few that comment on here that don't like this approach are really 'the few that don't like this approach'. :) What's interesting is that even Simbin has stated that they are moving away from the 'SIM' approach with GTR3 and are looking to make that title more inclusive and 'something more along the lines of F1 2017 etc'. They recently said this. So, just sayin.

• Deleted member 205301

....Dear RaceDepartment....
I really enjoy the website, and the work done (and well done) by the guys engaged in...
...but....
....the more i take a look on articles and comments, the more I'm asking to myself : "what am I doing here ?!"
Probably it's something like a generation way, but I really don't feel in my "home" here, and disagree too much with comments.... of course, some guys are clever and have enough knowledge, but others.....damn....and when i look at titles (Pcars2, F1 2017/2018, AC etc....) for sure, I will no longer come here...
I'm happy to have a premium account : guys does the job, i'm happy to help with a buck or two, but that's the end for me... have a good travel RD
@++

If you simulated qualifying on pole, then leading from start to finish 60 odd laps whilst being told to conserve fuel / tyres whilst not driving at your limit, rinse and repeat 20 odd times.....ermmm.... i'd rather play Euro truck sim....

F1 cars are good in the other sim games, but dull as hell as a simulated series....

I think the reason people are so critical of Codies is similar to Project Cars2, in that they have a form of motorsports that a lot of people are passionate about but they've failed to deliver the items that folks want. If you remember back a few months, SMS was getting beat up for a lot of shortcomings as well.

I'm sure the casual gamer will find this game fun. The rest of us are still waiting for some updates.

It seems to me that Codemasters are simply not trying to make a 'SIM'. They have made a 'Racing game'. I believe they have done this to attract a wider audience. Perhaps the few that comment on here that don't like this approach are really 'the few that don't like this approach'. :) What's interesting is that even Simbin has stated that they are moving away from the 'SIM' approach with GTR3 and are looking to make that title more inclusive and 'something more along the lines of F1 2017 etc'. They recently said this. So, just sayin.
Simbin are idiots then

There is plenty of f1 cars simulated in a variety of titles, this title does indeed need to attract a wider audience to show semi serious racers what "games" can do.

Codies are never going to make a sim and who can blame them. Every online race would be mostly over after turn one. There does have to be some offset between ease of access and difficulty.

They actually know what they doing. Expecting Grand Prix Legends - 2018 edition ?
Like it or not true simmers vs casual gamers are about 7% vs the rest.
And seems like all those 7% are here. :D

I find it amazing that so far only a few people have actually commented on the video!

The graphics improvements all look nice and you can really see a good step up compared to 2017. It's interesting that they took some time to improve the skybox and cloud formations. Back in the GTR2 days I was sucker for that kind of thing, it really adds atmosphere.

The work they have done on the audio side should also help with immersion. I think this dev diary is the best one they have done and dare I say it if it was for any of the so called "sims" so many people keep raving about maybe it would have had a better reception.

My pre order is in and I'm looking forward to Friday and getting stuck to career mode.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back