F1 2016 F1 2016: Career Progress Thread

F1 2016 The Game (Codemasters)

Chris

Premium
F1-2016-RaceDepartment.jpg
Use this thread to share all of your experiences, stories, reports and screenshots/videos of your F1 2016 career so far!

Whether you're a mobile chicane, battling hard in the mid-pack or chasing championships, we want to hear about it! It's a community after all :)

Man so loving this game, just finished bahrain, qualified 5th in a mclaren, expert Ai, med tc, all other assists off, using a thrustmaster 300 wheel. loving it so much at the moment. Nando qualified 10th. But he got promoted as i Got a 5 place grid penalty for contact with verstapen in quali, made a good start was up to 4th by lap 4 then made a mistake dropped to 11th fought my way back to 6th 20 seconds ahead of nando... Might just turn it up to legend for the next race... Good job codies

Had a fantastic race against my teammate Magnussen at Suzuka. Two safety cars and two changes in strategy brought me from 17th on the grid to finish 8th just in front of Kevin. It was edge of the seat stuff as once I got in front Kevin he always had DRS it was only because I had 2 lap newer hard compound tyres that I managed to finish ahead of him.

It was just so much fun and even more tense when it's your teammate.

2C8Z8Gf.jpg

3tT8hZA.jpg

Just done the Spa Grand Prix and really really enjoyed it. Qualified on pole for a change and nearly dominated the race. Rosberg kept having a go and drafting me up the long straight and taking the lead and only by doing the same to him on the last lap did I get in the lead and took the win. Fantastic season so far and running in 12th with 3 DNF's. (I don't do silly flashbacks or restarts).

Still loving this superb rendition of Formula One.

Me chillin just before the race. Looking a bit nervous being on the front row.
20160914194421_1_zpscfwdt7sy.jpg

20160914201537_1_zps9ckcbkvz.jpg

20160914201140_1_zpsu5csmzsj.jpg

Just love the whole atmosphere of this sim. Love it. The graphics are to die for.
20160914201813_1_zpsrj7yvu3k.jpg

20160914201029_1_zpsivzlp6jf.jpg

Love reading all these stories!

So far I have done one season in career mode for Haas, this was more of a test season, see which assists and difficulty settings I wanted and just getting to grips with the game.

I restarted career mode and am now on my first season as the 2nd driver for Mclaren, with Fernando Alonso as my teammate. I am on Legend difficulty, simulation damage and 50% distance. My season so far has been quite terrible. My pace in qualifying is generally off the pace, but manageable. I have simply had a lot of bad luck in the first few races. Both in Australia and Bahrain I got spun out. Australia was my fault, I tried to defend and went too far to the inside, leaving no room and getting spun out by a Renault. Ended up in the wall with my first DNF. In Bahrain it wasn't my fault. Alonso was coming up behind me on a newer set of tires. He got right up my gearbox in the first DRS zone and went around my outside in the left hander. On the right hander he was on my inside. I left him plenty of room, but Alonso ran wide and spun me into the wall. DNF number two was fact.

China was a pretty straightforward race. Qualified in 8th and finished in 7th without too much drama.
Russia was a different story. I had another good qualification session inside the top 10 and was having a good race. We got lucky with a safety car, giving me the change for a new set of tires in the final third of the race. The pitstop got me down into 13th behind a Torro Rosso. With my new tires I was steaming ahead. Trying to find a war past the Torro Rosso when I made a stupid mistake of turning in too early after the DRS straight near the end of the lap. I ruined my front wing and with the field bunched up from the SC, the pitstop found me in 21st (one DNF in 22nd) and thats where I finished.
Spain was initially a very good race. I was inside the top 5 with Hamilton right up my rear when suddenly he turns in on me on the start-finish straight. He spins us both in the pit wall, ending both our races.

So the first 5 races done. 3 DNF's and only one points finish. The team wasn't happy with me and my agent told me I got a bad review.

Next is Monaco, a race I feared from the beginning. This is a track that doesn't suit me. I started out crashing out in both P1 and P2. In qualifying I manged to get one fast lap in, but crashing out on my in lap. Seeing me in 17th for the race. It was no surprise to me that I found myself inspecting the wall up close causing another DNF.

Canada was supposed to be my comeback race. This is my best track and I am always quick around here. And sure I was. I qualified in 6th and managed to get up into 3rd place rather quick. Two safety cars in that race made a mess of everyone's tyre strategy. I opted to stay out during the last SC, thinking the tyres would last to the end of the race. Sadly I pushed the car too hard defending my podium position. Getting a puncture in the second to last lap. the pit stop ending me up in 18th and that's where I finished.

The last race I've done was Baku. One where my pace is down. I only managed a 17th place in Quali and was struggling to keep even the Saubers behind me. When I made a dumb mistake coming into the pits too fast forgetting about the little kink there is, slamming into the wall and ending that race too.

Thats when I received an email from Management, telling me to step up my game or else my time in Mclaren is over.

I'm still learning a lot about the game and the recent patch has made the AI a lot more racey, which resulted in me thinking I could get away with more than I actually can since the patch. It sure has made this career mode more engaging, but I still have a lot to learn. Maybe a step down to Manor or Sauber would be for the best. We'll see where I end up.

I hope you enjoyed the read =)

So, Team Offers. My recent scenario:

Signed with Red Bull as a career start this time. Had a good 1st year, secured 1st driver, finished 3rd in the championship, no contract offers from other teams. Not a problem. Second year with Red Bull, upgrades from R&D are making us strong but I'm itching for a contract offer so I can start my 3rd year of the career with the Mercs or Ferrari. Either will do. About half way through the 2nd season a contract offer lands on my desk & I immediately sign for the Merc team. This means I have Dickberg as a team mate but hey-ho, I'm quite happy to run him off the track at every opportunity :D. I'm thinking great, 7/8 more races left with Red Bull in which we could win the championship & a new team next year. Imagine my surprise when I sign the offer. I am immediately jettisoned from the Red Bull team into a Merc mid season! What the fudge!?!? No no no! It basically destroyed everything we were doing in a memorable 2nd year. It pissed me off so much I decided to restart everything again. My question is, if I have a contract laid on my desk mid season, & don't choose right then, will it sit there as a valid option until the of the season? Something I can sign after the last race maybe? Because being ripped from your driving seat mid season & shoved in another one without a thought to the work you've put in to that team is just, totally pants to be honest... Jean Alesi, Heinz-Harald Frentzen are the last examples of drivers jumping out of one car into another mid season & that was 1999 or something...I just feel cheated right now...:(

My season is going good at the moment. Sitting 7th in the drivers championship. Hoping to get an offer from Mclaren or Williams.
Latest race was a disaster though. Qualified 10th at Monza after some great car tweaking and practice. Felt very comfortable with my car. R&D is progressing well. Had a bit of an argument with my team mate in the media suite over nothing really but we made up later. :)
I managed to lose some traction coming out of Variante Ascari and clipped a barrier at high speed. End of race and nil points for me this time although my team mate did score a point. Well done to him. And sorry to my team for my lapse in concentration.:redface::redface:
20160912212340_1_zpsni8htmys.jpg

20161009131714_1_zpsmgpitb4e.jpg

20161009131842_1_zpszgkiv1gl.jpg

I drive with the Xbox One Controller on PC and usually have Med-TC enabled but I can't do it this year. I mean I could do it but I don't enjoy it anymore. I didn't have this issue the years before.
Racing is fine though, at least after setting the deadzones in the action_map_preset_win.xml to zero.

In general there is too much BS in Career Mode. R&D feels forced and not really thought through. All this useless animations. Why do I have to open the laptop to progress? Why does someone have to hand me a tablet if I want to change settings? All this useless information they give you over the radio and the guys voice is so annoying! Yes I know, it's dry now and if the condition changes you will let me know! You don't have to tell me that in every session...

One question though: is the strategy change the second one you can edit or a complete random one the computer chooses?

I did a couple of test-runs on 50% races on Expert and Legend; the first being too easy and the latter slightly too hard. I took the Renault out for a spin in Australia, qualified 15th and ended the race in 4th due to lucky circumstances (Safety Car), but I was on course for points anyhow.

Bahrain, Q12, R10
China Q10, R8
Russia Q7, R4
Spain Q8, R4

After 5 races I was 6th in the championship with 41 points in a Renault on Expert level... upgrades on drag, downforce and weight only.

It was by this time, I decided to halt the career and am now contemplating to either go one level up with Renault, or to take a slightly better team on the same level - for realism sake. And I notice with others here, that by the time the season is well underway it's fairly easy to become competitive no matter which car we drive. Which is my main criticism on the game: the learning curve in combination with R&D makes it a bit unrealistic fairly quickly and for me, that spoils the fun a bit as I want to combine my racing with a story that I present online; might even present it here if the interest is there. For me, I hope the patch 1.7.0 that introduced Master level is what I'm looking for.

My race weekend att Spa reminded me why I like this game so much... Qualify started dry in Q1 but att once we drove out from pit on slicks it started to rain so some people, included me, tried to set a laptime on slicks on a track that got more and more wet without big success, very slow laptimes. Then everyone changed to intermediate and put in there best time. But then it stopped raining again so everyone went out on slicks again and improved there times, but not everyone had time for that. Included Raikkonen, Hamilton and Ricciardo so they was out allready in Q1. Q2 went pretty normal with intermediate tires the entire session after it started raining, yet again. And then Q3 started with heavy rain since it had started to rain, spa really dont manage to decide what weather it want... So with arround 2.5minute left I had pole, but then the rain got much lighter and some people went out on intermediate and I tried too, but I did not manage to start a new lap before time went out, time was out when I was in the last chicane... So 4people managed to improve there laps with intermediate, where Alonso took pole and I came first off people on wet tires and got 5th

And race was just as good as qualify, I got a good start and was 2nd after the first corner, so McLaren 1-2 who would have thought that about Spa in the start off the season... Then Perez and Vettel crashed after turn 1 and safety car, and Rosberg in 3rd got a bad restart so me and Alonso got a gap. And me and Alonso for the entire race(50%) had a great, clean fight where we changed position like everylap... And arround lap 11 we changed to slick tires but the fight between me and Alonso continued. Then on the last lap, Rosberg and Verstappen cought up to us and on the last lap it was a 4 way fight for the win, and both Rosberg and Verstappen overtook us but then Rosberg looked tires and went wide and that blocked Verstappen so both me and Alonso got past again and got a McLaren 1-2, with Alonso's first win off the season... So to other sim/racing devs, where is the safety car and dynamic weather in your games? :whistling:

My career over the weekend.

lH74I7J.jpg

Unfortunately I did a boo boo. Was having loads of issues downloading games off Steam. Decided to uninstall Steam then try reinstalling, little did I realise that when you uninstall Steam that it also deletes any games in your steam apps folder. I had most backed up anyway and I thought all games put your save games in your documents like the Witcher 3 etc (200hrs and counting phew). Guess which game that I did not have backed up and is the only one I had installed that has your career progress and saved setups in the game folder, yes you guessed it F1 2016!

First world problems I know but nearly two seasons gone and what I am more gutted about my setups. I am not actually that bothered starting the career again as I started it on a lower difficulty with only 25% race length, now I am on legend with 50% but those setups man arrrrghhhh. I spent ages on those arrrghhh!

Don't make my mistake.

I did work out a work around for my download issue so at least that's a positive.

In my opinion this version 2016 is the best of the series. But there is a big flaw about carreer, I mean offers from other teams during the champioship and not at the end as in reality.
I don't understand a such silly mistake from CM

In my opinion this version 2016 is the best of the series. But there is a big flaw about carreer, I mean offers from other teams during the champioship and not at the end as in reality.
I don't understand a such silly mistake from CM
I got offers at the end of the season. Though they didn't quite fit imo, only teams ranked behind current one, with worse conditions. Biggest flaw in career is R&D I'd say, as it looks like I'm gonna max out everything in season 2 already...

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back