Esports Minute | A Round-Up Of Sim Racing Esports Action

Prediction: The sim gear used market will be flooded with G29's and Thrustmasters around July.

Unfortunately you might be correct with this. There are a lot (8,000+ per week in iRacing alone) of people signing up for sim racing thinking "Hey, I saw those NASCAR guys on TV and it looks easy and fun. Why can't I do that too?" And then they find out that they have no aptitude, skill, time, etc. and they leave sim racing behind.

I was never interested in eSports what so ever. Then I checked out the indycar challenge. Absolutely brilliantly put together and have enjoyed the racing immensely. Far more than quite a few races from last seasons F1 tbh (Which was quite the surprise). The latest COTA run was a brilliant race.

Prediction? You are wrong.

Some of these guys are not just buying a wheel and a camping table...they are doing deals to get stupid set ups.... i am amazed at how seriously they are taking it...
The V8 supercar guys and their races have been bloody brilliant.

Interesting also we so far have had many drivers saying the sims are far too unforgiving and hard compared to real life...

The V8 supercar guys were saying that the iRacing V8's are in game so much harder to drive and it makes racing on virtual Bathurst much more difficult...just let that sink in a little...
Pretty much every racer turned simmer is saying to the devs "please give us more grip"
I heard that some sims have actually developed new virtual tire models on the back of this to make it more realistic....
i.e. realistic = grip and more forgiving to drive.....which is exactly what simmers call "arcade"...lol
When is i-racing going to add the ice/snow graphics to the sim? They have the road surface perfected , just need the graphical update.

I wonder if all this attention on F1 games being played on single screens while iR, rF2 and ACC getting played on triples and VR will finally push Codemasters to implement triple screen and VR support into the new F1 games?
#NoTriplesNoBuy

Ugh...the word sports for playing games.
Please...don't go there. There are actually a lot of "real" sports I would rob them of the title. ;)
I think motorsports is the only sports, where the esport variant practically has the same input devices as the real sports. IIRC the ADAC even acknowledged eports as motorsport and are organising their own tournaments (GT Masters on R3E).

Yeah the IndyCar is the best one so far, the racing has been great, watching Scott McLaughlin on his Twitch feed (Laptop) with the Full Coverage on the PC is superb. You're really able to get an insight into the Driver & Chief relationship, what they talk through during the race, strategy ideas and everything. That's something we've never really been privileged too in the real world, his win at Barber was superb for just that reason on how they got to 1st place and won.

Overall I've watched each Series a little bit (IndyCar the most), each Sim showing up it's good & ugly sides but overall it's been a great advertisement for the Sims we call Home and when you're missing the real thing they can offer up a bit of "replacement entertainment".

Please...don't go there. There are actually a lot of "real" sports I would rob them of the title. ;)
I think motorsports is the only sports, where the esport variant practically has the same input devices as the real sports. IIRC the ADAC even acknowledged eports as motorsport and are organising their own tournaments (GT Masters on R3E).

It's true, what other "Game" is there where you can learn on your PC then take those learnings into the Real World and succeed? Just look at Llando Norris, just look at 'The Worlds Fastest Gamer' and what previous winners are accomplishing now in real world motorsport. I mean you're not gonna win a game of FIFA and find yourself playing in the Champions League Final for real a few years later, nor will you be the best Fortnite player and then find yourself on the frontline with a real gun in hand!

The crossover from Sim Racing to Real Racing is very true and realistic, now if you don't mind I have Assassins Creed Odyssey to play as tomorrow I'm going to scale the building opposite my house...

Nor is Radio Times ;)

When I was nipper there were 2 classes of kid. Those whose families got the TV Times and those whose families got the Radio Times.

Then there was me - I used CeeFax ;)
When I was a kid you had to buy both. Radio Times was BBC exclusive and only had listings for their channels. So you bought radio Times for BBC and TV Times for itv.

LeClerc has been confirmed for today’s SRO event.
He did an interesting stream a few days ago where he appears to be evaluating whether to take part during an online acc race.

He appears to be getting training in the game from someone associated with it.

The stuff they're explaining to him, about use of kerbs amongst other things, was very useful. I learned a few things myself!

I just hope SRO are not as cautious this time. In their charity event they turned collisions off for the whole first lap of each race. Not just the formation lap, the first racing lap.

First lap jeopardy and risk are the core elements of the tension and excitement of motor races. Eliminating that made the races a lot more predictable and boring.

Ugh...the word sports for playing games.

Well Chess is a sport so.
It's not that ridiculous.
This is actual esports and where the name comes from:

Blockchain-future-esports-blockchainLand-e1571328984494-1170x522.jpg

It's amazing how negative some sim racers get when it starts getting popular......funny that....
In their enclosed world they can't bare it.

What has happened over the last month or so is that having proper racing drivers do it publicly its made it a lot cooler...
People won't just think of sad man childs in their parents basement playing GTR2, with mods....in 2020..

just watched bits of the SRO broadcast, great stuff, pity John Watson's voice/micro was almost impossible to hear at times, pity, too, the real life drivers were given ghosting the first lap, camera quickly moved away when it was shown on screen. They still haven't got replay, which is an awful shame, though. Leclerc was kicked out lap2 and came home just ouside the top 20. Out of this world gameplay in the professional eSports field. blows your mind. Another pity: McLaren clearly had an advantage, top2 in quali for real life drivers and top4 in quali for eSports, can't be chance, hoping the BoP is more balanced on next track. Also: some nice new skins on the Audis, hoping we'll get them soon.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back