eSports in Sim Racing to take off

wow, ACC really hitting a home run: Dig the Lineups of real world drivers and pro eSports players, amazing on both counts: Jenson Button! Andrea Caldarelli! Vitantonio Liuzzi (now, that name brings back memories …) Enzo Bonito! Nils Naujocks! Jack Keithley and David Greco (both of whom ran in the Sim Racing Team Challenge I co-hosted ages ago, now that brings back even better memories). Great job! You can still qualify for a spot in the Bronze series.

Great lineup.

I thought their charity race showed promise but had some significant issues too, that will still, sadly, hold ACC back in the esports arena.

The positives are obvious - it looked great, sounded great. David Addison did a very impressive and entertaining job in his first ever esports commentary and John Watson added some much appreciated madness. There was also some very close racing at the front, maybe the tightest, hardest fought battles for first place that I've seen in the esports revolution.

Negatives - they turned contact off for the first lap! That was a stinker for me and I very nearly turned the thing off there and then. Especially in ACC - which I play and am endlessly frustrated by, with its limited safety rating functionality meaning that if I race in Monza, and I get booted up the arse at the first chicane - which happens a lot - then I get the double whammy of race over and safety rating reduction - for something I was simply a passenger in.

If they can't trust the pros, the best and the fastest to get around the first lap without hitting each other, why do they expect the races I participate in to do so, and punish us when we don't?! Either way, they totally broke my immersion and belief with that one and, for me, did more damage to sim racing esports than good to their own races.

Also, crashes in sim racing can be spectacular. And bereft of the serious consequences of their real life counterparts. I can enjoy the spectacle of massive, multi car shunts with cars flying through the air and barrel rolling. And the commentators can excitedly commentate on the entertainment value of a good plie-up with the freedom of not having to worry about the wellbeing of their colleagues and friends.

And the other big one, of course, was replays. With 30, 40+ car grids, we need replays. We need to see what happened elsewhere while we were watching a couple of cars.

None of that is insurmountable though. I am looking forward to it.

Last edited:
for those of you speaking German, here is a really nice, 10min. report about missing real life action at the Nürburgring and iRacing filling the gap. Nice behind the scenes as they report from the iRacing VLN control room.

There seems to be talk in this video of Charles Leclerc considering joining the SRO series.

He seems reluctant as he's 3s a lap off optimum speed but I think if he finds the time (and I think he only just started playing the game), expect him to take one of those TBCs in the Ferrari list.

So a big weekend of esports kicking off!

We have the SRO esports series starting early this afternoon.

Then formula E, whose series has been picked up by the BBC.

And a little later the race's conclusion to their 3 race series.

I guess they'll be pretty much one after another as, I think, Jack Nicholls is down to present all three. Busy day Jack!

more news on the ACc series:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back