Dutch Grand Prix Returns to Zandvoort from 2020

While I like Zandvoort with some cars, I don't think modern F1 cars will look good here. They cannot follow one another close enough for overtaking, the straights are to short for DRS to really help out enough, butt I do understand that they are trying to Max out and take advantage of Verstappen's popularity. It'll be another race where it's parade lap after parade lap.

Modern F1 cars need a place to stretch their legs a few time to mix things up a little. That or we go back to a time where aero isn't so dominant and we see the cars move around a little. Then they could follow a little closer. Just my opinion and I've seen support for and against and respect all. Who knows, maybe this will be the most exciting race we've ever seen, but I highly doubt it.

They should have picked Assen for the Dutch GP. Great track.
Actually I don't think that modern Assen as well as Zandvoort is the right choice just because of track layout; the older layouts (60s/70s) would've been allright. For car racing you need longer straights and wider turns whilst for motorcycle racing you can do with tighter tracks. That's why I think that modern Assen and Zandvoort are very suitable for MotoGP, but not for F1. Both tracks are great btw.
what about Jan Lammers (24 hours of Le Mans winner), Arie Luyendyk (2 times Indy 500 winner)
Exceptions can be made of course, you even forgot Tom Coronel (wtcc/wtcr), but none of them has achieved anything in F1 which is considered to be motorsport at the highest level. Not to mention Slotemaker, Bleekemolen, Ho-Pin Tung, Doornbos, Albers, vd Garde, J.Verstappen, actually they've achieved not that much in their careers. These names are no match for Fangio, Hill, Prost, Clarke, Hunt, Senna, Schumacher, Hamilton, Lauda, Fittipaldi, Kanaan, just to name a few.
Holland is simply too small for motor racing; that's the problem.
It's the same as Dutch football: close, but no cigar.

Zandvoort sucks, works for small cars but not for modern F1 cars no way. Just like Zolder or Brands Hatch, both very good but not good for F1 cars.

But what about this, I would like to see F1 Circus here in Finland...

A brand new race track in Finland, Valtteri Bottas' and Kimi Raikkonen's home track, MotoGP 2020, F1 2021??? This is new track for all drivers. It is not yet finished but there will be the first race later this summer.

KymiRing, Finland
https://en.kymiring.fi/

@keto95 I agree with you on Assen. It not suitable for modern F1, same as Zandvoort. But... I can understand why they went for Zandvoort instead of Assen. History, Dutch royalty (Prins Bernard Jr).

Off topic... I don’t agree about Holland being too small for motor racing and football. Put Max in a Mercedes and he will probably become a WC (you probably won’t agree with me on that ;)). I did not forget Tom Coronel btw, I just did not mention him, because he never won a big race (as far as I know). But I am a Tom fan either way (his documentary of Dakar a few years ago was epic). But he is I think the biggest chauvinist we have... especially concerning Max.
And football... 3 times lost WC final, ‘Totaal Voetbal’, European Champions in 1988, Ajax/PSV/Feyenoord EC1/CL winners, Cruijff, van Basten, Gullit, Bergkamp, van Persie and now the new generation with van Virgil van Dijk (player of the year 2019 in the premiership), de Jong and De Ligt.

Circuit-Rene-Zandvoort.jpg

Actually I cannot. The infrastructure 'round Assen is much better.
More roads to/from the circuit, the highway is nearby AND the possibility to have German guests attending the race would've been a better option for the local economy. I've visited both tracks and although Zandvoort is 25 minutes from my hometown, the location is a disaster to travel to. I'd rather have a 2 hour drive to Assen, much better approachable.
[QUOTE="pcraenme, post: 2970995, member: 89868"][USER=308846]
Put Max in a Mercedes and he will probably become a WC (you probably won’t agree with me on that
[/QUOTE]
I do agree that if Verstappen will be placed in a Mercedes, he will be champion for sure. His driving has been improved incredibly; at least he's driving with his head now and doesn't make unnecessary mistakes. That's what is needed to be a champion. Raw talent is fine, but mistakes cost dearly in topsport.
But he is I think the biggest chauvinist we have... especially concerning Max.
[/QUOTE]
How right you are! It's a bit too much on my part.
And football... 3 times lost WC final, ‘Totaal Voetbal’, European Champions in 1988, Ajax/PSV/Feyenoord EC1/CL winners, Cruijff, van Basten, Gullit, Bergkamp, van Persie and now the new generation with van Virgil van Dijk (player of the year 2019 in the premiership), de Jong and De Ligt.
[/QUOTE]
But Ajax didn't make the Champions League final; close, but no cigar.
[/user][/user][/user]

Last edited:
During the press conference that took place on the circuit on Tuesday morning, sporting director and former Formula 1 driver Jan Lammers spoke about the renovation of the circuit. There is not a lot of time available: the Dutch Grand Prix will probably take place in the May of 2020, although no official date has been announced yet. "Of course there will be changes to the layout of the track, the finish line will be raised slightly towards the Tarzan bend to become visible in front of the main stand. The exit lane at the Gerlach bend will be enlarged, for safety. We will broaden the Hugenholtz bend towards the inside, creating more space and speed towards the Scheivlak. " Lammers continues: "The second part of the Hans Ernst bend becomes less short, so wider, so that a little more flow enters the bend, we want to keep it going. From the Arie Luyendijk bend, the last bend of the circuit, a kind of track is made to ensure that the F1 cars can go through full throttle.You get an effect which is also visible on the F1 circuit in Brazil, so that the DRS can be switched on early. " "Pit boxes are being added, and three hospitality units are also being built. The pit boxes are being made eight meters deeper at the back, so that teams can lose all the facilities. What is overlooked is the following: in the 1980s there was a fall and more than thirty cars, so there is room in the length. There are now only twenty cars.

This sounds not tooo bad, it seems this track will probably be spared
the fate of being completely amputated like other unfortunate legendary
tracks, Hockenheim and Mexico come to mind.

I predict that this is what every grandstand will look like :)

325818.jpg

This was in Austria 800 km away from the Netherlands

Just imagine how this will look in Zandvoort. :D

Kudo's to all the Max Verstappen fans who have followed him all over the world. Their presence at every race was a clear sign to FOM.

The dutch driver needs a dutch grand prix.

Screw the sport, grab the cash!
The slow death of F1 continues.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes