Cars DRM Revival [Deleted]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for clarifying. :) I thought that the Lancia's transmission looked like it only had one axis when I had a deeper look into the interior of the model. However, I don't need the clutch or revmatching for downshifts. Maybe it's a bug? (Autoclutch isn't activated) And besides, it's not only me having this issue. Actually, it was a mate who noticed that and I've been able to reproduce that.

Shouldn't these car have h-pattern dogbox? Then it should be possible to drive without clutch (if dogbox is properly done in AC) even if a little clutch could be used on downshifts to save the transmission.

Thanks for this explanation. What is logging? Why would one have it enabled?

The application writes text out to a file about what it is doing, any problems it encountered etc.

You would have logging turned on if you were encountering a problem and wanted to find out more information about what was happening and why the problem occurred in the hope that you might be able to fix it.

Ironically in this case the excessive logging about a problem is actually causing a bigger problem...

It is enabled by default as if you have any problem and report it at AC forums.
You have to upload the log.txt and Kunos can look at it and solve the problem in a easier way than just go by what you say.

It logs everything like video settings,controller issues etc...
If you run into any problems with AC like a mod car crash AC or any other problems remember to enable the logging again and you can check the log.txt in your documents\Assetto Corsa\logs

Modders should have it enabled and check this when working on cars/tracks.

EDIT: Just so everyone gets how big this problem is with the "EMPTY CURVE, RETURNING ZERO ()" error is

An normal log with one Kunos car & track is about 0.5MB.
I took one lap with this car and the log was 4MB and it will keep on writing to it.
If you have a 10 lap race it would be 35-40mb. now if you take a 50 lap race.....you get my point;)

Last edited:
I checked it and it is spamming the log.txt file with "EMPTY CURVE, RETURNING ZERO ()"
This makes the log file grow bigger and bigger and that is what is making you have issues when you use it on the grid.

Suggest you disable logging and test it again. I have no issues with that car but I always have logging off.
I only enable logging if AC can`t load stuff.:)

This needs to be fixed by the DRM team. I know other mods have had this issue when released.
It was fixed quite fast by the modder. So I guess it is an easy fix.

Hey @Keith_G This issue described here might be the cause of the stuttering you described the other day.
It may very well be worth looking into and trying the same set of cars and track with logging disabled.

The discussion about the issue starts at this post:
https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/drm-revival-paid.149302/page-22#post-2731247

Thanks guys for pointing this out - good find ;-)
Maybe someone who knows how to properly fix it may share info to help the devs out?

I am not sure about this but I think it is a wrong value in a LUT or a missing LUT file in the data.acd that course this.

I have a vague memory that a mod car that did not have any wing, the modder did not include the the wings.LUT and it had this issue.
The LUT must be present and have the values set to zero instead.....

Again not sure! Maybe someone that actually mods cars can explain it better.;)

Both Monastir are heavy on performance. One has 288512 tris and 313 objects, the other 279478 tris and 295 objects (could see in content manager).

The Lanzo GT1 for example is 257000 tris and 215 objects.

According to Kunos the more objects a car has, the lower the performance will be so part of the optimization is to have the less amount as possible. There's the reason why the COCKPIT_LR model is usually a single object with a single shader (unless there's a color change), and objects are mostly grouped by texture maps or shaders.
Most common is to have less than 200 objects for LOD_A + COCKPIT_HR, on LOD_B it should go down to about 25% of that and so on.

Both Monastir are heavy on performance. One has 288512 tris and 313 objects, the other 279478 tris and 295 objects (could see in content manager).

The Lanzo GT1 for example is 257000 tris and 215 objects.
Hi,
That is not everything that is taken into consideration, its the core that is considered but so many other key values effect performance also,
our 2018 Hybrid has 277 objects and almost 340,000 tri which for me makes it the highest detailed car I ever saw but the shader list is not that high but the car also has around 100 textures inside the kn5
baa0ba28666954bc44d4e2c2720324fd.png

so lets call the car and objects LV1, which personally I do not find important as LV2,

LV2 to me is the key to performance,
ensuring the .KN5 LOD_A is under 50mb
has you can see here mine is well under 50mb
630ecdb03ed2edbfa7bd5f90084b9e23.png

in fact its under the minimum requirements so I have roughly 100 textures and its at 41mb,
which is really really good for performance,

LV3 is also very important,
ensuring that inside the skins folder the core .kn5 files that are going to be replaced when loading are no more than say 25mb in size,
again we are under these values,
3c772566930e5c0064dd0fbc166f157c.png

main things I did on my 2018 car was to create not 4 LOD but to create 5 LOD which was the 1st time I ever saw this inside the AC engine,
so I have a LOD_B_HIGH and a LOD_B_LOW , the high is set to 10 meters,
each level of distance you make lower in meters will massively improve performance, but this is not always possible to do most cars will be 15 meters on average,
if you have a 300,000+tri car that is set to 15 meters and very high .KN5 and then high skins files,
you will find the performance is not that good,

its a mixture of knowledge and experience ensuring that the end user receives the best quality car you can provide but also making sure that they can actually enjoy it ingame with no issues :)

What is exactly the reason for the 48mb limit? Not just because some dev said it is... what is the technical reason for it? I thought it was a console limitation? I'd imagine if the game originally shipped with 120k tris recommendation for cars then if you can increase that to 300k you could also increase the kn5 size?

What is exactly the reason for the 48mb limit? Not just because some dev said it is... what is the technical reason for it? I thought it was a console limitation? I'd imagine if the game originally shipped with 120k tris recommendation for cars then if you can increase that to 300k you could also increase the kn5 size?
42-48mb is recommended simply due to the loads on the AC engine,
imagine having 24 cars at 42mb that is roughly 1gb on a grid of cars but load 24 cars with say 50mb
that would be 1.2gb a lot of generic textures are reused in the engine so that figure is highly exaggerated,
but has I mentioned above its multiple multiple things all at once that effects performance,
yes mainly some things would have been mainly for consoles,
but that does not mean for 1 second you can start making .kn5 like the Seat Leon TCR at 90mb each which is just silly waste and would impact performance,
there is no need to make any .kn5 over 50mb,

the size of the .kn5 is combined with textures which make up over 75-80% of the structured file, the rest is 3D Data, so a car say 120k would be around 3-4mb a car around 300k maybe around 10 ish,

so higher you go with triangles you should go less with texture sizes to still keep it low,

either way the engine has limitations,
.kn5 over 50mb
LOD.ini with A-B LOD over 14-15 meters and then massive skins folders will result in not ideal performance,

the RSS 55 GT car we made has something like 118 textures inside the .kn5 and the car is also pretty high over 320,000 triangles but the performance is great,

same 118 textures poorly optimized and bad settings, also too many .png and bad .dds will contribute also,
but the same car with say 15 meters LOD_B and a 60-70mb .kn5 you have issues :)

Doesn't really answer my question. Just like processing power power has gone up since 2015 (more vertices and draw calls) so has gpu memory (more and bigger textures). What happens at 50mb kn5? Why is it a hard limit? Why not make 55mb kn5 and 200k tris with x amount of draw calls or 60mb kn5 with 150k tris and x amount of draw calls? Even if you race against 20 cars the 5mb difference per car is just 100mb memory difference assuming all is memory. And it is not because mip maps exist.

I can calculate numbers just fine. I just don't get why one number is a hard limit while others can be played with?

Doesn't really answer my question. Just like processing power power has gone up since 2015 (more vertices and draw calls) so has gpu memory (more and bigger textures). What happens at 50mb kn5? Why is it a hard limit?
Because AC still has a set minimum requirement. Sure we could exceed the targets and would be fine for 80% of people, but in the end it says on Steam that the game runs on X harware, so we have to make sure it still does.
Of course with mods you can do what you like, though with paid stuff there is a certain expectation that comes with it, so its best to try and meet similar targets that Kunos do.

The limitation was down to the initial minimum requirements which were specified during early access (2GB ram, core2duo 2.4Ghz, GT460/HD6450) - at least that's the official version

Doesn't really answer my question. Just like processing power power has gone up since 2015 (more vertices and draw calls) so has gpu memory (more and bigger textures). What happens at 50mb kn5? Why is it a hard limit? Why not make 55mb kn5 and 200k tris with x amount of draw calls or 60mb kn5 with 150k tris and x amount of draw calls? Even if you race against 20 cars the 5mb difference per car is just 100mb memory difference assuming all is memory. And it is not because mip maps exist.

I can calculate numbers just fine. I just don't get why one number is a hard limit while others can be played with?
its not a hard limit, its a mixture of things all at once,
you can make a 100mb .kn5 but then other areas will suffer more, the key here is balance to maintain a nice performance, 100mb .kn5 you would have to set the LOD_B to 6-7 meters or something really low,
then while racing there would be visible changes so the quality overhaul is effected,
you can make anything you want but has I was saying to get the best visual quality the best performance,
I would never release a car over 50mb there is simply no reason to,
I mean unless you have 100,s of textures and you dont know what you are doing then yes maybe its fine,

what are the car sizes in the pack people are having issues with ?

.kn5?
lod.ini settings ?
skins/sizes ?

you have to remember not everyone can afford expensive PC,s so giving a good balance of nice textures, quality modelling will ensure everyone can enjoy the content even if you are rich or poor.

The car that has been discussed is the monastir (Lancia Beta Montecarlo) The main lod is 49mb
do not know about lod.ini settings - have not unpacked the data.acd ;)

The problem with that car is that it is spamming the log with "EMPTY CURVE, RETURNING ZERO ()"
For me that has an impact on the performance, people with higher end PC,s mite not notice it?

Anyway that is why I told people to disable the logging until fixed.
I have not checked the other cars maybe they also have the problem.

Last edited:
The car that has been discussed is the monastir (Lancia Beta Montecarlo) The main lod is 49mb
do not know about lod.ini settings - have not unpacked the data.acd ;)

The problem with that car is that it is spamming the log with "EMPTY CURVE, RETURNING ZERO ()"
For me that has an impact on the performance, people with higher end PC,s mite not notice it?

Anyway that is why I told people to disable the logging until fixed.
I have not checked the other cars maybe they also have the problem.

This nails it exactly on my side. Btw won't using VR alone stress any PC?
So thanks again MeMyselfAndI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back