Cars DRM Revival [Deleted]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not claiming that, but I have noticed that I am having very similar laptimes in most of the cars. In Nurburgring GT (fast and 22C setting) the release day of the mod I was doing about 1'53 with the most, I also have driven plenty of them seriously at Miseluk at same settings and I was doing 1'24-1'25.

I also feel that cars are capable more, and I also used only default setups so far.

The modding team said at a german forum, that the Carma (Division 1) at Monza is 7 sec faster than the RMT 1001 (Division2). The cars are from 1976-1980. The Division 2 cars from 1980 are closer to the Division 1 cars than in earlier years. Between Yamamoto Delikata and Lardo ( Div 1 and Div 2 ) are maybe only 2-3 sec - depending on track, temp etc.

Last edited:
There are also cars like the K3 that are quick in a straight line but struggle through corners, and others are the opposite, like the Lancia. Cars like the Lancia are quicker on slower and technical tracks, cars like the K3 are near unbeatable on fast tracks. I like that aspect a lot, you can't win every race in a single car.

Everyone who attends the race has to get a medal !

But seriously, why cars always has to match very well. The skill can equalize results if cars are all slightly different.

I havn't tried all cars yet, I'm not sure all have the same issues but all I driven have similarities.

I noticed that rear toe' setting does nothing and rear camber has no sliders; is it on purpose?
The engine' sound is a bit lazy in first person view: it revs slower than the RPM needle and outside sound. It's more noticable before start and while downshifting.
Turbo's sound source of rear-engine cars is far too much ahead, like it still remains under the hood (or next to the driver in the Porsches), while engine' sound comes a bit muffled from the rear (which is perfect).

Why pitstops are so long? Are the tyres changers still the same guys who operated on the cars almost 40 years ago? ;) Or maybe it's because of the rules, like only 2 guys for tyres? Anyway, watching them slowly change the wheels was hilarious.

It could be nice to add a slider for brake power with a upper limit exceding 100% (dunno if it's even possible).

Great work on how the cars react, I expected that kind of feelings: they are alive on track :)

I got a question regarding the transmissions. Does anybody know if all of them are H-shifters? In the Lancia, for instance, it' looking a bit like a sequential system. Furthermore, it seems to be possible to downshift without using the clutch or doing a throttle blip at least. So I'm at bit confused because it seems as I don't need the clutch for downshifts?

Maybe someone's got an idea? :)

I got a question regarding the transmissions. Does anybody know if all of them are H-shifters? In the Lancia, for instance, it' looking a bit like a sequential system. Furthermore, it seems to be possible to downshift without using the clutch or doing a throttle blip at least. So I'm at bit confused because it seems as I don't need the clutch for downshifts?

Maybe someone's got an idea? :)
H-shifters, no sequential transmissions back then yet.
These cars can be shifted without clutch if you rev-match, using the clutch on downshifts is advised though and usually practiced with manual or early sequential transmission racing cars by seasoned drivers in order to preserve the transmission and keep the car stable in braking zones.

Some googling turned up the first use of a sequential transmission in a racecar... the 1949 Porsche 360 Cisitalia intended for the supercharged 1.5 liter grand prix rules. Unfortunately it never raced.

"The chassis was of chromoly tubing and featured on/off four wheel drive with a sequential gear-shift and a rear-mounted transaxle also sending power through a driveshaft to a front differential."
Lotus got around to using a sequential transmission in 1957 with the Lotus 12.

There were even very early uses of sequential transmissions in cars before they made their way into racing. Dr. Porsche used one in the 30 horsepower 1907 Maja (named after Mercedes Jellinick's younger sister Andree Maja Jellinick... yeah, that Mercedes) while working for Austro-Daimler.

For all practical purposes, I can't tell the difference between preselector gearboxes (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preselector_gearbox) and sequential transmissions... apparently preselector gearboxes were common in the '30s.

The part that makes H-pattern gearbox a sequental gearbox is the selector shaft which just moves the dog rings and connects the gears one after another when the selector shaft is rotated.

Pre-selector uses drum brakes whereas normal gearboxes use dog rings or syncros. That being said most pre-selector gearboxes use epicyclic gears, think 80s automatic cars.
These somewhat confusing pictures show how one version works:
http://www.crossley-regis.org/env_type_75_gearbox_manual
The pipe looking things are just rigid connections between gears. Not some hydraulic lines. Basically all pieces connected are either one piece or smaller gears are attached to that bigger piece.

Anyways the pre-selector simply locks the next gear before the brakes are applied to change the path of the torque through the system. That's the way I imagine it works.

The mods are fine, but the brake are too weak. I don't believe that they have so long stopping distance.
Hope they will change.

See I don't agree, the brakes seem pretty reasonable, I have been lapping the Lancia a lot on Rostock Ostafehnkurs so was very familiar with the braking points.

I took the Diablo Jota out just for something a bit different, and was having to brake about 50% earlier (so say at 300m instead of 200m) to get it slowed down in time!

Personally my main negatives are the odd delay to the engine sound (it sounds as if there are two different engine sounds and one of them has a lot more inertia) and a bit of a lack of feel / feedback with regards to understeer.

H-shifters, no sequential transmissions back then yet.
These cars can be shifted without clutch if you rev-match, using the clutch on downshifts is advised though and usually practiced with manual or early sequential transmission racing cars by seasoned drivers in order to preserve the transmission and keep the car stable in braking zones.
Thanks for clarifying. :) I thought that the Lancia's transmission looked like it only had one axis when I had a deeper look into the interior of the model. However, I don't need the clutch or revmatching for downshifts. Maybe it's a bug? (Autoclutch isn't activated) And besides, it's not only me having this issue. Actually, it was a mate who noticed that and I've been able to reproduce that.

Got severe stuttering with more than 10-15 cars at a raceday with DRM mod only. Not that it's showing fps drops but it's like hickups every 3-4 seconds.
Playing with Rift, specs are W7/64-i7/3770k-R9/390-16gb @ stock clock
Anyone else encounter such or got an idea to cure or will mod improve in that way?

Still suffering. Found out it's not the amount of cars but the type. In my case it's the Monastir only which cause these hickups, all other cars are fine.
So my hope is high it'll get fixed in future.

Can someone confirm this issue or is it just on my side?

Still suffering. Found out it's not the amount of cars but the type. In my case it's the Monastir only which cause these hickups, all other cars are fine.
So my hope is high it'll get fixed in future.

Can someone confirm this issue or is it just on my side?

I checked it and it is spamming the log.txt file with "EMPTY CURVE, RETURNING ZERO ()"
This makes the log file grow bigger and bigger and that is what is making you have issues when you use it on the grid.

Suggest you disable logging and test it again. I have no issues with that car but I always have logging off.
I only enable logging if AC can`t load stuff.:)

This needs to be fixed by the DRM team. I know other mods have had this issue when released.
It was fixed quite fast by the modder. So I guess it is an easy fix.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back