Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Race 07 1.jpg Race 07 2.jpg Race 07 3.jpg Race 07 4.jpg Race 07 5.jpg Race 07 6.jpg
Race 07 had a glorious few years in the sun as one of the best sim racing games on the market, but over a decade later - is it still a good title?

I admit the idea of an officially licenced and realistic racing simulation based on the FIA World Touring Car Championship was the sort of thing that would grab my attention back in 2005/6/7, and certainly Simbin Studios AB very much achieved that sort of reaction, releasing first the 'Race' standalone touring car sim and then later Race 07, Race On and the various DLC packs that would follow.

You have to remember that the years initially covered by Race and Race 07 (2006, 07, 08, 10) where arguably of the time when the World Touring Car Championship was at its very peak - drivers the talent of Yvan Muller, Andy Priaulx, Alex Zanardi, Gabrielle Tarquini, Alain Menu and Nicola Larini gracing some of the finest race tracks of the world for works team from BMW, SEAT, Chevrolet, Volvo, and strong independent outfits running competitive Alfa Romeo's and Honda's all combined to make a simply phenomenal championship, one that is hard to argue against as some of the best racing on offer of that era.

Keen to tap into the growing popularity of the series, along would come SimBin Studios and the 'Race' franchise of games, attempting to recreate the championship in virtual form, and taking sim racing by storm as one of the most popular on and offline racing titles of its time... even running trackside "eSport" series facilitated by your very own RaceDepartment! (remember this was before eSport was even a thing...).

In the first of a series of new videos (video at the top of the article), I thought it might be fun to blow of the dust from my copy of the game (ok that's a lie, I've got it on Steam), and see how it compares now, over a decade after initial release, and also use the opportunity to ramp graphics right the way through the roof and see how it looks in a way my original rig would never have been able to manage back in the day.

Hope you enjoy the video, and keep an eye out on our YouTube page for more from footage of olden but golden racing sims in the coming weeks ahead...

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Have you fond memories of the now classic Race 07 title? Do you still play the game? What are your favourite moments from the sim racing series? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
I was just wondering... why this topic - now ?
Perfect timing or ...pure accident.
Ok, we get it, SimBin isn't some international evil organisation after all...
they had some pretty cool games.
Not so long ago.

Has anyone tried the Super Touring Reloaded mod for Race 07? There are separate years as well. I don't know why but after I have installed all the remaining years and the other skin packs for some reason some of the interiors are missing from the cars and some of the cars do not even load in the showroom. What could be the issue?

Has anyone tried the Super Touring Reloaded mod for Race 07? There are separate years as well. I don't know why but after I have installed all the remaining years and the other skin packs for some reason some of the interiors are missing from the cars and some of the cars do not even load in the showroom. What could be the issue?
Not sure why that would happen, but maybe ask the question on the mod support thread Andreas is still around here.

I was just wondering... why this topic - now ?
Perfect timing or ...pure accident.
Ok, we get it, SimBin isn't some international evil organisation after all...
they had some pretty cool games.
Not so long ago.
Okay take off your tinfoil hat:p:D
The Simbin on this thread has nothing to do with the new one apart from the name.
In fact pCars2 has a greater connection.

This post is for anyone new or looking to get into to the hardcore sim racing genre

Positives:
- Great representation of a golden era in touring car racing
-huge amount of content, especially if purchased with all the expansions (tracks, cars and official series)
- Cheap as chips to buy and still available on steam
- runs well on any pc less than 10 years old
- Very customisable in terms of race options and car setups
- Solid physics
- reasonable ai meaning you can create a good offline experience that will give you many hours of enjoyment

Negatives:
- Graphically pretty dated by today's standards (don't expect project cars or GT Sport here)
- Tire model has been surpassed by newer titles
- Online public servers are pretty dead these days

Buy this title if you are on a budget, looking for a way into sim racing, have an old pc or are generally curious to experience a solid recreation of touring car racing from 10 years ago

Don't buy this title if you need decent graphics to enjoy your gaming , hate front wheel drive cars, or already knew everything I just posted above and have since moved on to newer releases :D

Thanks Ole!

Yes plenty more coming. Got the F1 series from 2010 - 2018, rF1, GTR2, GTL and plenty of others that are going to be in the works :)

EXCELLENT! I´ll be on the lookout for it on the YouTube site. ;)

Seriously though, I was shocked how good Race 07 still feels / looks. I reinstalled it just because I thought a video might be fun, but I'm damn well keeping this on the harddrive and I'm going do a full offline season. Such good, good, good fun!

Me too. I see some posts about the graphics being bad, but I just don´t see that. Better than rFactor imho. :sneaky: And it just FEELS right. :)

Me too. I see some posts about the graphics being bad, but I just don´t see that. Better than rFactor imho. :sneaky: And it just FEELS right. :)

Graphics are not at all bad, @Ole Andreasen, in fact I have no issue with them at all. It's just that some folks have very high expectations when it comes to visuals and I think it's fair to warn someone new to game. For what it's worth I think Race 07 still looks pretty good for its age.

I think at one point in the 00s we had graphics good enough to be acceptable.
Race 07 is not real-life-esque looking but its good enough graphic wise.

The content though is awesome, customization is there, lots of settings, great feel.
My first love in terms of sim racing. And still loving it. In genral i always was a fan of simbin. Naturally i enjoy R3E aswell.

To really improve on graphics if you are using a recent Nvidia Gpu and Windows 10.
Then install this Borderless gaming mode and switch to windows mode.
Colors are better an 90% of the flicking it gone. Works with all the Simbin games.

Race 07 are still a great sim and I still enjoy it a lot.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back