Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Race 07 1.jpg Race 07 2.jpg Race 07 3.jpg Race 07 4.jpg Race 07 5.jpg Race 07 6.jpg
Race 07 had a glorious few years in the sun as one of the best sim racing games on the market, but over a decade later - is it still a good title?

I admit the idea of an officially licenced and realistic racing simulation based on the FIA World Touring Car Championship was the sort of thing that would grab my attention back in 2005/6/7, and certainly Simbin Studios AB very much achieved that sort of reaction, releasing first the 'Race' standalone touring car sim and then later Race 07, Race On and the various DLC packs that would follow.

You have to remember that the years initially covered by Race and Race 07 (2006, 07, 08, 10) where arguably of the time when the World Touring Car Championship was at its very peak - drivers the talent of Yvan Muller, Andy Priaulx, Alex Zanardi, Gabrielle Tarquini, Alain Menu and Nicola Larini gracing some of the finest race tracks of the world for works team from BMW, SEAT, Chevrolet, Volvo, and strong independent outfits running competitive Alfa Romeo's and Honda's all combined to make a simply phenomenal championship, one that is hard to argue against as some of the best racing on offer of that era.

Keen to tap into the growing popularity of the series, along would come SimBin Studios and the 'Race' franchise of games, attempting to recreate the championship in virtual form, and taking sim racing by storm as one of the most popular on and offline racing titles of its time... even running trackside "eSport" series facilitated by your very own RaceDepartment! (remember this was before eSport was even a thing...).

In the first of a series of new videos (video at the top of the article), I thought it might be fun to blow of the dust from my copy of the game (ok that's a lie, I've got it on Steam), and see how it compares now, over a decade after initial release, and also use the opportunity to ramp graphics right the way through the roof and see how it looks in a way my original rig would never have been able to manage back in the day.

Hope you enjoy the video, and keep an eye out on our YouTube page for more from footage of olden but golden racing sims in the coming weeks ahead...

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Have you fond memories of the now classic Race 07 title? Do you still play the game? What are your favourite moments from the sim racing series? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
I love Simbin's old stuff. Race 07 was what got me into sim racing. I loved playing games like 1nsane by Codies when I was young and various console games on the ps2 and xbox. When I started pc gaming again I picked up a copy of Grid way, way back and although I had fun with it I wanted something more realistic.

This led me to Race 07's demo and eventual purchase, then a Fanatec Porsche Carrera wheel, which I'm still using although upgrading soon. After that I purchased GT legends and Richard Burns Rally and I was hooked. I haven't stopped sim racing since, even when my crappy pedals for my wheel broke and I had to use a controller for a long time. I have Simbin to thank for getting into my favorite video game genre and a further appreciation of cars in general.

It would be great fun to host/play some Race 07/GT Legends/GTR2 races online again if anyone would be interested.

Second, esports was a legit thing long before your competitions.
I was one of those following CPL and other 'eSports' in the early 2000's, long before VALVe had even bought the rights to Counter-Strike.

Yes, I know 'eSports' had began even before that. But you have to keep in mind that not everyone knows about it, not everyone follows games as much as some of us, and thus it's completely OK for Paul to say that, according to his experiences, 'eSports' wasn't a thing back in 05. It wasn't to him, and it certainly wasn't a thing for racing games. I don't even think the term "eSports" was really a thing back then, I don't remember anyone saying "eSports" because they weren't really considered sports, this is definitely something new. Again, at least to my knowledge ;)

See, I did not have to come as an a-hole to educate Paul a bit on this subject, and if I'm wrong I'm sure you will, now, try and be a little more polite.

Remember, teaching is about educating to elevate others, not to humiliate them.

Well @Paul Jeffrey you just caused me to spend $3.99 on steam to check it out.
Dare I say it feels as good if not better than some current sims.
Looks good, but I'm curious what AA settings (level 1, 2, etc) are you guys running and any tips or mods to make it look even better?
Also how do you stop the cockpit camera from bouncing up and down on the straights?

I mean you could go back even further to the mid nineties where fighting game communities had massive tournaments only known among their ilk. Esports are a new thing, not everyone has been interested in gaming their entire life and many people come to it through different entry points. I've been a gamer all my life, but only sim racing for 2 - 3 years. I might be ignorant of things in the sim racing community, does that make me disrespectful towards those that helped pioneer the genre?

Fighting games are the original esport, so to completely ignore them in your silly little rant, Mr. Beast, to the editor in chief here is just as bad if not worse. Coming from someone claiming to know all and abusing others that may be ignorant to the fact you certainly lack the skills to help enlighten others.

Looking forward to that ban you so richly deserve. A+ for that, mate.

Capture all the screenshots of replies you like, you are in different league of 'person' to Paul.

edit: you're not getting away with deleting your response by the way.
You know you are the one who started the name calling. Regardless if you disagree on Paul's rant about Korean Starcraft or not (or whatever the game is), you started name calling when you indirectly-but-directly called him a "****".

I don't know if you're having a bad day or not, but please go around and chill out a bit, have a cup of coffee or tea, or even a beer or too. Then come back with a better attitude, because you're not causing good impressions so far.
I'm not gonna judge you on your behavior so far (because, like I said, sometimes people are just having a bad day), but if this behavior persists I'm onboard with a ban too.

Cheers

I was in a touring car league that used Race 07. It was some of the most fun, and competitive races I ever had. The formula masters cars had great physics, and were a lot of fun to drive. I definitely have fond memories of Race 07.

its not an impromptu jury.

we just don't like you

to be honest, you come across like one of those over entitled millennials, who have no idea how to communicate properly because every conversation or action you ever have is carried out digitally.

Edit: Good to see the ban hammer in full effect.....

Last edited:
Have you fond memories of the now classic Race 07 title? Do you still play the game?
Yes, I still have all of Race 07 and the expansion packs on my PC and have fired up 'Race Injection' recently to try my new TS XW Racer and my new Thrustmaster TSS Handbrake Sparco mod set up in Sequential to see if it would work...and it did, no problem at all mapping them.
I agree that the graphics are still decent in my eyes and the Audio is still up there with the best and like using Headphones more for more audio detail, plus it does not annoy other family members when on long race sessions....highly recommended, especially for the low cost purchase on Steam.

This convinced me to give Race 07 another try and, after investigating and fixing some spotty FFB, I've very pleased with it. It's a different experience but on-track the cars feel as good (better?) than GTR2, so I'm very pleased with it.

I have also written up a little blog post about getting started with Race 07, little tips and tricks like skipping intro videos, setting up nVidia Inspector settings, field of view, wheel rotation, etc. Hope somebody finds it handy:

Secrets of Race 07

I recommend everybody buy the SimBin Mega Bundle on Steam when it comes on sale. It's a ridiculous amount of games and dlc for like $10-20. Can't really beat that.

Thanks, Paul, if not for you I would have given up permanently on Race 07 thinking its FFB was the problem when it was really a bug with my AccuForce. The FFB feels quite good, even in this era.

Race07 was my first Steam Game.I especially like the WTCC series in the Race07.
But Race07 have bug in Championship.
Your record of the best time gets messed up after play the Championship.
I asked for improvement, reply was "NO, this game update is over".
I think else is very good.

This impromptu jury is hilarious., like you think what you say matters. The mods will discuss it and do what they will, not what you think should be done.
You're right, the MOD's will discuss this. I do, however, believe that I have the right to say that I'm onboard with a ban, just like others have expressed here. If a member is being disrespectful it's already a setp to an early grave, but if members reassure an opinion of what they think should be done with a member that's bound to help them make the decision, don't you think?

And to be honest, I would expect you to realize that us, readers and who frequent these forums, are what keeps RD alive. So yes, our opinions do matter :) Yours too, don't be afraid to express them, as long as it's a respectful manner.

I will stop commenting on this as it's too much off-topic.

Looks good, but I'm curious what AA settings (level 1, 2, etc) are you guys running and any tips or mods to make it look even better?
Also how do you stop the cockpit camera from bouncing up and down on the straights?

I'm trying to work out AA right now...I recall I had some settings years ago that worked but now they don't seem to work.

For cockpit camera bouncing check Main Menu > Options > Visual Settings > Cockpit Camera Movement (Defaults to 30%). Also see G-Force Simulation as they might affect you.

Still one of my favorites! It led me to Steam but yikes did my library grow. GTR2 is still "the favorite" but Race 07 comes close. As a matter of fact I'll plug it here, I wish RRE would get Race 07's car filter. At least for GT3. If you play offline, like I do, it's a mish mosh of each years cars. Race 07 had that one licked. All good cars, just not all at once! :)

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.