DiRT Rally 2.0 DiRT Rally 2.0: Patch 1.3 Released

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
DiRT Rally 2.0 Update.jpg

A new update for DiRT Rally 2.0 has been released today.

Having recently received some new content thanks to Codemasters planned DLC programme for DiRT Rally 2.0, the British development studio have now dropped a small update to the base game - of which plenty of improvements and fixes have been included - not least of which is audio improvements for both the BMW M1 Procar and Peugeot 208 T16 R5.

You can check out the full update notes below...

Update 1.3 Notes:
  • Grip and floating car issues off the starting line now resolved
  • New achievements/trophies added for Season One: ‘On Thin Ice’ (Complete a clean stage in Monte Carlo), ‘Rock ‘n’ Roll’ (Drive 66km at Monte Carlo in the DS 21), ‘To all those who doubted...’ (Get a podium in the Citroën C4 Rally), ‘Kickin’ 80s Vibe’ (Complete your first Event in the BMW M1 Procar Rally)
  • The achievement/trophy “Fire Up That Car... Again” has had its unlock criteria modified
  • Prevention for audio cut-out improved
  • Added Jon Armstrong’s 2019 Galway International Rally livery
  • New engine audio for BMW M1 Procar and Peugeot 208 T16 R5
  • Fixed non-English translations of in-game text
  • Retiring no longer counts as completing the stage or event, and will no longer cause trophies to pop
  • Returning to the service area in Rallycross Community Events or AI Challenges will take players to service area and not leave the event
  • Spectating in bumper cam will now show other drivers in custom online events
  • Improvements to co-driver calls in specific call outs, across multiple locations
  • Leaderboards are now available after non-Time Trial races
  • Improvements to visual quality on some cars
  • Corner cuts across certain areas (reset lines and rough terrain) are now prevented
  • Stability improvements throughout title

DiRT 2.0 is available now on PC, Xbox One and PS4.

For more news and discussion, head over to the DiRT Rally 2.0 sub forum and involve yourself with the community now!

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Problem is that I grew up on a mountain in Tennessee, driving on dirt and gravel roads. That’s my background.

The FFB in DR1 wasn’t great, but it was good enough (except on tarmac, where it just plain sucked).

So to hear the FFB is worse in DR2 pretty much kills all my interest. With my personal background, it makes it hard for me to pretend something feels right when it just...doesn’t.

PS - IRL, driving on dirt/gravel is about the most fun you can have with your pants on.

From a West coast mountain guy, I couldn't agree more!

I once again went and compared the FFB I get in DR1 and DR2 back to back, with the same car even. I was *really* trying to notice the differences, hoping I will finally understand why so many people claim the FFB is worse in DR2 than it was in DR1. Well, nope. I really just don't get it. Yes, the suspension effects are slightly stronger in DR1, meaning the setting of 80 (out of 150) in DR1 roughly equals to setting of 150 (out of 150) in DR2. Other than that, DR2 is missing the constant wheel rattle when driving on gravel, which honestly is something I can easily forgive, because the more I compare the two games, the more I hate that rattle, because it really does feel like a canned effect with no relation to the actual road surface. I was honestly wondering how people would feel about DR2's FFB if it was possible to add some background rattle unrelated to the game. I wouldn't be surprised if people actually liked the FFB more like that just because their wheel would rattle more.

So the only difference between the two games sans the two points mentioned above is the amount of actual usable information that helps me drive the car...and DR2 just wins in this regard, hands down. The FFB feels so much more "alive" and immediate and connected to the car it's not even funny, compared to the very vague and uncertain feel of DR1's FFB. I just feel so much more about the car in DR2. I liked the FFB in DR1 before, but now that we can compare the two side by side, I would rank DR1's FFB as "passable", while DR2's as "great". I certainly hope they manage to find some solution that doesn't mean going back to how FFB was in DR1, because I don't think I can go back now.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm playing on a CSW v2.5 and I don't want my FFB changed. It's not great, but I'm happy with it. Pretty sure that if Codemasters listens to the people that have problems like "it's not strong enough", "I can't feel the road surface" and "need feel of understeer" or "tire flex!", it would feel worse for me and I'd have to tinker with it for 2 hours only to realize it will never be as good(or "ok") as before again.

Boy I hope they don't listen to you then... I cannot play it without feeling something is wrong. You're more than welcome to turn the settings back down to 5% after they "fix" it and you probably wont notice a thing ;)

I once again went and compared the FFB I get in DR1 and DR2 back to back, with the same car even. I was *really* trying to notice the differences, hoping I will finally understand why so many people claim the FFB is worse in DR2 than it was in DR1. Well, nope. I really just don't get it. Yes, the suspension effects are slightly stronger in DR1, meaning the setting of 80 (out of 150) in DR1 roughly equals to setting of 150 (out of 150) in DR2. Other than that, DR2 is missing the constant wheel rattle when driving on gravel, which honestly is something I can easily forgive, because the more I compare the two games, the more I hate that rattle, because it really does feel like a canned effect with no relation to the actual road surface. I was honestly wondering how people would feel about DR2's FFB if it was possible to add some background rattle unrelated to the game. I wouldn't be surprised if people actually liked the FFB more like that just because their wheel would rattle more.

So the only difference between the two games sans the two points mentioned above is the amount of actual usable information that helps me drive the car...and DR2 just wins in this regard, hands down. The FFB feels so much more "alive" and immediate and connected to the car it's not even funny, compared to the very vague and uncertain feel of DR1's FFB. I just feel so much more about the car in DR2. I liked the FFB in DR1 before, but now that we can compare the two side by side, I would rank DR1's FFB as "passable", while DR2's as "great". I certainly hope they manage to find some solution that doesn't mean going back to how FFB was in DR1, because I don't think I can go back now.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ugh... think Iracing Rallycross or image if Kunos made a rally game and what that would feel like... it wouldn't be like this. I'm looking for at least half that and yes some vibration would be good, but not the canned effects you're talking about. Feeling surface changes would be nice and larger rocks on the road for example would help a lot. The FFB is usable but I feel like there are some important elements missing. It would be nice to feel the tires that are going slightly off track and into the curbs for example. Don't settle for a half ass job in this full priced game.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I have to agree. FFB is a blast with the Accuforce Steering Wheel Pro V II and the Next Level Racing Motion Platformv3. When driving, I have no problem distinguishing black ice from snow or mud or wet sand or dry sand or even tarmac, and the surfaces feel real enough to me.

Codemasters has already said they will update the FFB, but they will NOT rush the job. Is the FFB good enough now? On my wheel, definitely. Is it the same as DR1. Nope. IMO, better. But, alas, my wheel has only a small portion of the market...

I am just hopeful that they wont screw it up when they do patch the FFB.

Is the FF good enough in this game with an Augury OSW (Simucube)?
The OSWs do not have simexperience's (accuforce) foundation mode that takes the raw telemetry stream and computes it's own force feedback. So I'm afraid that OSWs and high end non direct drive wheels all will feel less informative as these wheels only reproduce the game's FFB

Last edited:
Feeling surface changes would be nice and larger rocks on the road for example would help a lot. The FFB is usable but I feel like there are some important elements missing. It would be nice to feel the tires that are going slightly off track and into the curbs for example.
I can feel all that in the FFB. I really don't know why so many others supposedly don't. The surfaces feel different, larger rocks and ruts do affect the FFB and if I put my wheels off the road, I certainly feel it.

I really just don't get it. I'm not doing anything special and my setup is certainly nothing special either.

I can feel all that in the FFB. I really don't know why so many others supposedly don't. The surfaces feel different, larger rocks and ruts do affect the FFB and if I put my wheels off the road, I certainly feel it.

I really just don't get it. I'm not doing anything special and my setup is certainly nothing special either.

Maybe you are a lucky one who has some magic wheel. But DR2 has only road camber, autocenter, and canned collisions. It hasn't bumps, jumps, ABS, brake lock, road surface, loss of grip is only noticiable in FF and in montecarlo wich is really nice improve but can be better, as it's on/off grip. It gives overall a soft car feeling aside the surface you are driving, feels basically the same, it just changes car behabiour, but the FFB is the same. It simulates cattlegrids, that's the only FFB present aside SAT, and that's a really obvious symthom that something is wrong.
DR2 physics are better, FFB is much less detailed that DR1, both out of the box.

But DR2 has only road camber, autocenter, and canned collisions. It hasn't bumps, jumps, ABS, brake lock, road surface, loss of grip is only noticiable in FF and in montecarlo wich is really nice improve but can be better, as it's on/off grip.
It simulates cattlegrids, that's the only FFB present aside SAT
It would be really nice if people could at least try presenting their subjective opinions as such, not as facts. Because all of the above is just your own impressions, not actual facts. I can believe you that you don't feel anything else in the FFB apart from SAT (even if I find it mindboggling), but that's really not the same as saying "it only has camber and canned collisions and there's no other FFB beside SAT".

Oh, and remarks about magic wheels don't exactly help either.

We've seen numerous supposed fixes and tweaks employed to try to compensate for what's lacking in DR2 FFB so there really should be little doubt that there is something wrong - at least, in some (many judging by the harsh complaints throughout multiple forums) cases.

Maybe it's somehow related to certain hardware, settings, PC config's, . . . but, I've not been able to achieve results anywhere near those of DR with either of my wheels (AccuForce or OSW SimuCube v1). Yes, SimCommander telemetry-driven FFB does provide some added bumps but, they mostly come through as non-sensical spikes and that suggests a deeper issue.

As I said, the most dominant FFB-effect is SAT, and it seems to be completely over-whelming any other effects that may actually be present. I prefer to have plenty of bump detail because it's very easy to filter it down to a level that is present but, not harsh with these steering systems. I can appreciate that it's not so easy with some of the main-stream offerings.

The thing is, when it comes to effects like front traction-loss, it often comes through when bump-details are more active. Example: ACC & iRacing provide little (if any) bump detail during under-steer; the ffb goes quite numb (only static resistance), so the sense of variation (degree) in front traction-loss is lost. Contrast that with rFactor2 & AMS, where bump details are preserved during under-steer, and the sense of degree in front traction-loss (& slip-angle) is really obvious. I know many say that is not realistic but, I would argue that it can be - depending on the tires and conditions, as well as some other factors.

I also know that adding some dump-detail via telemetry can enhance the sense of front grip-loss in DR very effectively but, there is a fine line in getting it just right; such bump-effects can create inconsistent results when it comes to different hardware. On a G-25, they result in "rattle" that is just unappealing; on a DD-wheel with the right amount of smoothing or filtering, they are wonderful dampened details that accentuate other effects even more.

We've seen numerous supposed fixes and tweaks employed to try to compensate for what's lacking in DR2 FFB so there really should be little doubt that there is something wrong - at least, in some (many judging by the harsh complaints throughout multiple forums) cases.
The problem is..."there is something wrong" doesn't really tell you anything. Yes, we can assume "there is something wrong" given the overwhelming response seen everywhere, but we can't really tell what it is that's wrong. It can be literally anything, sadly including such intangible and very subjective things as perception or expectations. It's not like just because there's outcry about something, it *has* to be fundamentally and "objectively" wrong. Not if you introduce subjective taste and expectations into the equation. There might not be anything wrong with it in the slightest, it's just that people expect something different (perhaps even for the reason they've been "taught" to expect something different, regardless of whether it's a good thing or not - I mean for example the complaints about lack of FFB strength might simply mean people are used to FFB that's too high and clipping regularly, and if you present them with a properly calibrated FFB, they will generally find it too weak and "wrong", because they were expecting something different, even though it was in fact their expectations that were "wrong").

And I honestly would have much less issue with the outcry if people were not so quick to proclaim things "broken" or "unusable" and so on (and calling the devs names), or claim it downright is not capable of this or that, just because they have an issue with them or don't like them. (Though, to be fair, that's a big issue with people in general nowadays, and it's certainly not limited just to DR2 FFB - if only it was... It seems that for many people, the world is not only just black and white with nothing in between, it also has to be blindingly white and black hole black...)

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

If you say that DR and DR2 ffb feel the same, you don"t have magical wheell, afraid it's just broken, or the stuff you take is really strong.
:laugh:

@Andrew_WOT Where in what you quoted am I saying "DR and DR2 FFB feel the same"? I just don't see it. All I can see there is me saying that I don't get why people claim the FFB in DR2 is worse than in DR1, but that obviously isn't equal to saying they feel the same. Surely that's not too hard to understand.

(And I would also point out that I specifically mention certain differences between the FFB in those two games in what follows that quote, so claiming I supposedly said they feel the same makes even less sense due to that.)

• Deleted member 637371

I am happy for those who are enjoying the game, but personally i think it was one step forward two steps back for the series. I don't think i'll be purchasing anything further from CM.I tried every setting on my T300 and I cant get the FFB to feel anyway engaging or realistic. There was some promise to DR 2.0, the weight of the cars was a big improvement, graphics looked nice and it sounds pretty good, but without a good feel through the wheel, the game falls apart pretty quick.

I'm with others here who look forward to a serious studio filling the rally void. Sad, because i really like the original DR, but everything CM have released since has been pants imo.

I kinda wish I could just move on from the whole DR2.0 thing, it's like Brexit for me at this stage... I'm bitter and will continue to be until I can simply forget about it. So I just pray Kunos/397/Reiza or Sector 3 will step up and deliver a proper rally game so i can finally forget all about DR2.0.

@Martin Fiala Sorry but it is a fact, not a subjetive thing. I know as I am not the only one, there are a lot of voices complaining. Also I play simracing from the Atari 2600 to nowadays I know what I am talking, I had wrote followed guides on how to maximice FFB in rfactor, when realfeel and leo plugins where the culprit. I must say there is no matter of liking it or not. The question is there is an unbalanced flat FFB in DR2. But I can play it, when tweaked, it's not gamebreaking, and it's not unusable, it's just bad.
You state that DR2 has more detail that DR1 well I repeat maybe you tweak it a lot to amplify some FX, but the raw output of DR2 is not correct.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back