DiRT Rally 2.0 DiRT Rally 2.0: Patch 1.3 Released

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
DiRT Rally 2.0 Update.jpg

A new update for DiRT Rally 2.0 has been released today.

Having recently received some new content thanks to Codemasters planned DLC programme for DiRT Rally 2.0, the British development studio have now dropped a small update to the base game - of which plenty of improvements and fixes have been included - not least of which is audio improvements for both the BMW M1 Procar and Peugeot 208 T16 R5.

You can check out the full update notes below...

Update 1.3 Notes:
  • Grip and floating car issues off the starting line now resolved
  • New achievements/trophies added for Season One: ‘On Thin Ice’ (Complete a clean stage in Monte Carlo), ‘Rock ‘n’ Roll’ (Drive 66km at Monte Carlo in the DS 21), ‘To all those who doubted...’ (Get a podium in the Citroën C4 Rally), ‘Kickin’ 80s Vibe’ (Complete your first Event in the BMW M1 Procar Rally)
  • The achievement/trophy “Fire Up That Car... Again” has had its unlock criteria modified
  • Prevention for audio cut-out improved
  • Added Jon Armstrong’s 2019 Galway International Rally livery
  • New engine audio for BMW M1 Procar and Peugeot 208 T16 R5
  • Fixed non-English translations of in-game text
  • Retiring no longer counts as completing the stage or event, and will no longer cause trophies to pop
  • Returning to the service area in Rallycross Community Events or AI Challenges will take players to service area and not leave the event
  • Spectating in bumper cam will now show other drivers in custom online events
  • Improvements to co-driver calls in specific call outs, across multiple locations
  • Leaderboards are now available after non-Time Trial races
  • Improvements to visual quality on some cars
  • Corner cuts across certain areas (reset lines and rough terrain) are now prevented
  • Stability improvements throughout title

DiRT 2.0 is available now on PC, Xbox One and PS4.

For more news and discussion, head over to the DiRT Rally 2.0 sub forum and involve yourself with the community now!

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

• Deleted member 637371

@Martin Fiala Sorry but it is a fact, not a subjetive thing. I know as I am not the only one, there are a lot of voices complaining. Also I play simracing from the Atari 2600 to nowadays I know what I am talking, I had wrote followed guides on how to maximice FFB in rfactor, when realfeel and leo plugins where the culprit. I must say there is no matter of liking it or not. The question is there is an unbalanced flat FFB in DR2. But I can play it, when tweaked, it's not gamebreaking, and it's not unusable, it's just bad.
You state that DR2 has more detail that DR1 well I repeat maybe you tweak it a lot to amplify some FX, but the raw output of DR2 is not correct.

FFB is subjective on pretty much every sim, when there are so many different variations of race wheels and setups, it not going to be perfect for everyone. So not sure you can start calling fact on FFB on any sim.
Just agree to disagree perhaps?

• Deleted member 637371

I have one problem with this, yes it feels better but I think it has a bug, the car is easyer to spin in upwards hairpins that in downwards feels strange to me"

That's fair enough, maybe you are right about the spinning, but i didn't experience it. I was more concerned with trying to fix the FFB....I have since deleted the game (Like i said, I'm trying to forget about DR2.0....but the bitterness remains and resurfaces everytime there is some new press release re DR2.0).

Yes, let's muddy the waters by claiming that FFB is an entirely subjective thing. Evidence needed only if you claim otherwise.

Well since every game seems to have people liking the FFB and people NOT liking the FFB - it must be a subjective thing. There is really no other way to say it.

Oh - and it is the same with physics, graphics, sounds, businessmodels.... and so on and so on.

I must be in the minority but I think the FFB is perfectly adequate. I use an Accuforce wheel, so maybe that is the difference. The game gets some hate but has provided many amazing driving moments for me. Definitely beats DR and D4 imo.
Agreed with My foundation ffb I can feel any effects what is missing OSW or belt driven wheels! This where Accuforce just kick ass of any wheel!

Maybe it's somehow related to certain hardware, settings, PC config's, . . . but, I've not been able to achieve results anywhere near those of DR with either of my wheels (AccuForce or OSW SimuCube v1). Yes, SimCommander telemetry-driven FFB does provide some added bumps but, they mostly come through as non-sensical spikes and that suggests a deeper issue.
We both get a lot of other cues from our setups, so i wouldn't underestimate those 'spikes' when running just FFB. I also couldn't feel engine RPM vibrations with the game-FFB. There is a slider for it, but it's greyed out and seems not doing anything as well. With Sim Commander it's working and adds more immersion to it. The main problem with the FFB in game is IMO, that it tries to be authentic and tyre friction on a loose surface is rather numb and non-informative. Sim Commander is much more communicating the difference between rear- and front-tyres independent from the surface. Using the old Dirt Rally settings in AC doesn't work well and try my settings from the Owners Club.

The thing is, when it comes to effects like front traction-loss, it often comes through when bump-details are more active. Example: ACC & iRacing provide little (if any) bump detail during under-steer; the ffb goes quite numb (only static resistance), so the sense of variation (degree) in front traction-loss is lost. Contrast that with rFactor2 & AMS, where bump details are preserved during under-steer, and the sense of degree in front traction-loss (& slip-angle) is really obvious. I know many say that is not realistic but, I would argue that it can be - depending on the tires and conditions, as well as some other factors.
With Sim Commander i'm running over 160% road bumps in ACC to get those cues especially on corner exit when running over curbs. The game-FFB don't do that and the road-effect is ridiculous blunt in comparison. In iRacing it's from their tyre-physics and SC can't fix this. The only thing to get a better feel what the car is doing is adding traction loss to the FFB. It's labeled obsolete and with DR2 and all other titles it really is, but in iRacing it's adding at least some cues about the rear. It feels fake first, needs some time to get used to and should be tuned per car. But unlike ACC and DR2 the physics in iRacing are just not good.

Ugh... think Iracing Rallycross or image if Kunos made a rally game and what that would feel like... it wouldn't be like this. I'm looking for at least half that and yes some vibration would be good, but not the canned effects you're talking about. Feeling surface changes would be nice and larger rocks on the road for example would help a lot. The FFB is usable but I feel like there are some important elements missing. It would be nice to feel the tires that are going slightly off track and into the curbs for example. Don't settle for a half ass job in this full priced game.
At some point you have to see a game for what it is. DiRT Rally is not really a simulation, it's closer to a Forza Motorsport or Gran Turismo than to iRacing, it doesn't have a complex tire deformation model that updates mechanical and pneumatic trail in 3-dimensional space for the self-aligning moment with it.
As for paying full price and getting a half-assed job, did you actually expect borderline AC levels of "good" FFB or were you assuming it would likely be as in DR1, D4 and the Codie's F1 games? Becauuuse... if so, then you were getting what you expected and shouldn't be overly annoyed by it not being much better than those other Codemaster games. You should be annoyed if it were worse, which it isn't really with the exception of no artificial road noise added here (and maybe some wheel manufacturers have too weak 100% gain settings, if that's the case, I hope Codemasters address that for those wheels, my own wheel is fine though). Larger rocks you absolutely do feel in DR2... if they are large enough to affect the tire load asymmetrically or the suspension geometry to lead to bump steer - like you would in a real car with a softer rally'ish suspension and power steering.

We both get a lot of other cues from our setups, so i wouldn't underestimate those 'spikes' when running just FFB. I also couldn't feel engine RPM vibrations with the game-FFB. There is a slider for it, but it's greyed out and seems not doing anything as well. With Sim Commander it's working and adds more immersion to it. The main problem with the FFB in game is IMO, that it tries to be authentic and tyre friction on a loose surface is rather numb and non-informative. Sim Commander is much more communicating the difference between rear- and front-tyres independent from the surface. Using the old Dirt Rally settings in AC doesn't work well and try my settings from the Owners Club.

With Sim Commander i'm running over 160% road bumps in ACC to get those cues especially on corner exit when running over curbs. The game-FFB don't do that and the road-effect is ridiculous blunt in comparison. In iRacing it's from their tyre-physics and SC can't fix this. The only thing to get a better feel what the car is doing is adding traction loss to the FFB. It's labeled obsolete and with DR2 and all other titles it really is, but in iRacing it's adding at least some cues about the rear. It feels fake first, needs some time to get used to and should be tuned per car. But unlike ACC and DR2 the physics in iRacing are just not good.
I think iRacing's fundamental FFB-effects works pretty well but, I'm not a fan of the flat understeer approach, real or not. It's the same reason I don't like ACC-FFB that so many seem to like. FFB based more on reality is quite boring imo because, few real cars provide much feedback through the wheel at all. I think that trading immersion for (simulated reality) is not a trade worth making but, what constitutes good immersion may be another point of contention.

If DR2 FFB were like that of DR, I could accept it and be satisfied, especially when using the AccuForce but, that's not the case at all.

Kicking a dead horse comes to mind when talking about this subject so I think it's time for me to just shut up and drive (not DR2 though). :p:)

I think iRacing's fundamental FFB-effects works pretty well but, I'm not a fan of the flat understeer approach, real or not. It's the same reason I don't like ACC-FFB that so many seem to like. FFB based more on reality is quite boring imo because, few real cars provide much feedback through the wheel at all. I think that trading immersion for (simulated reality) is not a trade worth making but, what constitutes good immersion may be another point of contention.

If DR2 FFB were like that of DR, I could accept it and be satisfied, especially when using the AccuForce but, that's not the case at all.

Kicking a dead horse comes to mind when talking about this subject so I think it's time for me to just shut up and drive (not DR2 though). :p:)
ACC, DR2 and rF2 are my favorites at the moment and love the FFB in all three. AMS could be great, but i don't like this torque oversteers, that Reiza have fixed with the rF2-DLC. iRacing and Raceroom combined would be great, but both separate doesn't feel right IMO.

I don't think the ffb is broken or unplayable, I just feel it's physics/ffb aren't as good or compareable to the quality in other sim titles.
(PC2 & iracing dirt/rally content which both have loose surface physics)
I just find the cars feel floaty and disconnected which reminds me alot of Raceroom after it came out of beta and before they started updating the physics.

Let's be honest here, Codemaster hasn't exactly set the bar in any of there past titles in regards to "sim" physics/ffb and rightfully so, there bread and butter has always targeted console users looking for a fun semi realistic racing experience and sim racing in general is a just a niche within a niche market.

My mistake was I fell for all the pre launch YouTube reviews that hyped this title up to be the greatest hardcore rally sim to date. The addition of weather and new track degradation caught my attention and I believed if those 2 features were done correctly, combined with new physics could actually elevate it to an actual sim.

No loose surface physics, tracks are not dynamic and really nothing more than baked presets, damage is basically just visual and has no effect on handling till you get a puncture which is rare, PC mp is dead combine with the ffb is why I am an not too impressed with this game so far.

I can feel all that in the FFB. I really don't know why so many others supposedly don't. The surfaces feel different, larger rocks and ruts do affect the FFB and if I put my wheels off the road, I certainly feel it.

I really just don't get it. I'm not doing anything special and my setup is certainly nothing special either.
I'm curious if you've driven on dirt or gravel IRL? Just asking. We all have different ideas of how something should feel. Glad you're enjoying the FFB as-is.

@kondor999 My idea about how a FFB in a sim should feel is it should give you all the necessary information to help you drive the car. And there are many ways to achieve that. How it feels IRL is irrelevant because we're not driving IRL.

But for the record, yes, I have driven on gravel IRL.

Huh People are not feeling bumps, under and oversteer? The moment I drop a wheel beside the gravel road I can feel it in my "toy" g27 wheel. If I lock the front wheels, the steering wheel locks into place unless I put in some effort to still turn it. Sometimes the rutting plays with the car and I feel it floating left right through the ruts because the tires get pushed sideways. The thing I mis is bumps are very hard to notice in the wheel.

Anywaaaay: a little birdy told me league's are getting close. Supposedly getting tested.

Huh People are not feeling bumps, under and oversteer? The moment I drop a wheel beside the gravel road I can feel it in my "toy" g27 wheel. If I lock the front wheels, the steering wheel locks into place unless I put in some effort to still turn it. Sometimes the rutting plays with the car and I feel it floating left right through the ruts because the tires get pushed sideways. The thing I mis is bumps are very hard to notice in the wheel.

Anywaaaay: a little birdy told me league's are getting close. Supposedly getting tested.

How? Seriously - I am wondering what I do wrong with this. I have absolutely no feel in regards to being on or off the road. No proper feel when locking the wheels. The ruts are for me purely graphical until the moment it starts to play with my car and I end sitting the wrong way and wondering what the heck happened.

According to the initial bird singing it was weeks, not months away from coming when the game was released. I fear our birds are out of tune!

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back