DD wheels : so few options, such a difficulty to choose

I am about to buy a DD wheel and I passed quite some time searching about what the market has to offer.

I want to share my thoughts with the community hoping to get some feedback on the validity of my conclusions(at least the non subjective ones).
In plus, other members that are currently on the same boat may share their thoughts/findings on the matter.

Simagic M10 : - not interested

I didn’t like the reviews

OSW : - not interested

Not an option for someone with terrible DIY skills like me

Accuforce Pro V2 : -not interested

+good reviews

+good user feedback(especially for the software)

-stepping motor

-170 euros the shipping cost to Europe

-unknown custom fees as I had no reply from the custom office of the country I live

VRS Directforce Pro : - still considering as an option

+Barry’s statement : ‘I could be happy if this would be my only wheel’

+impressive feedback from rally drivers and visitors of SimRacing Expo

+200 euros cheaper than DD1 and SC2

-I will be an early adopter

-sent an email asking for the weight of the base as well as for the availability and had no response

-limited community of users to share experiences with

-unknown games support

-lost in the steering wheels options as I cannot identify which is the cheapest rim that will do the job*

Fanatec DD1 : - still considering as an option

+large community of users

+fanatec wheels ecosystem

+realtively cheaper than SC2 as the cost of a decent wheel is lower(a 300 euros BMW GT2 wheel can do the job*)

+available

+easy to sell if I ever decide to

-QR flex

-I don’t trust their quality control and their software

-I doubt if my GT Omega Art Cockpit can handle the 10kg of weight and the forces produced by the base**

Simucube 2 Sport : - still considering as an option

+seems to be the most reliable base

+seems to offer the best driving experience

+weights 2kg less than the DD1 and it may be manageable by my cockpit

-lost in the steering wheels options as I cannot identify which is the cheapest rim that will do the job*. I think that the minimum you need is 400 euros but again the price/quality ratio is not so clear as with Fanatec wheels.

-usb cable on the wheel(in my price range)

-unavailable

*I don’t want a fancy rim with an lcd display and many functions. I just want a wheel with a basic button box+basic paddle shifters. By ‘doing the job’ I mean finding a rim that can handle the FFB of the base with no flex. That's my only concern.

**during my research I realized that i will most probably ave to upgrade my cockpit. It will be good though to do the upgrade in 6 months time. I will be hapy if my current rig can serve me till then.

• Deleted member 197115

no just Simucube.

I bought the wheel, it's in the post right now and should arrive for Friday, had quite a few emails with Tomo and the shifters can be replaced with Ascher ones if not to the users liking. The cost-saving seems to come from the reduced steps in finishing the surface of the button box with corner edge chamfers and the surface brushed effect seen on the similar Ascher bb. Tomo also said there is a saving from the reduced buttons and not having the two 'funky style' Fanatec joysticks. All in all, I think it should be a good product for sure and it's only for a limited batch. I personally don't mind about having fewer buttons if the designs is strong and sturdy.
I'd guess buttons are different from Ascher's too.

Upvote 0
I'd guess buttons are different from Ascher's too.
they're Otto p9 switches so they're good quality still, according to my research they're widely used in motorsport by OEM's for their durability and tactile feel so I have confidence in those plus the wireless antenna is the Siretta TANGO which from my brief research indicates to be a very solid option. I think the limited buttons and the overall surface finish is how it is able to meet the price point.

On the other hand, another way it may reach the price point is that the wheel may be using 'B' spec components from say Ascher a bit like Simucube did on their products recently, perhaps Ascher didn't want to put his name to it so sold them cheaper to Tomo due to visual or slight quality imperfections as the wheel is only a limited edition

Upvote 0
I would upgrade the GT Omega ART cockpit first. The real benefit to direct drive is not its power but rather then finesse of the force feedback, which will lost in the GT Omega.

Go for a cockpit upgrade now and then wait until DD's go on sale towards the end of this year.

Both Fanatec and SimXperience participate in Black Friday sales annually.
I came to the same conclusion.
It's the first mandatory step.
Passed the last 2-3 days focused on finding a 80/20 solid rig.
Waiting for some answers and I will come back with the final contenders

The cost is rising. May be you are not wrong about waiting till November and getting a possible 30% discount in the total amount for buying all the gear. Especially if you consider that some of the parts will arrive end September-mid October. But the heart says to proceed. I don't know...

OSW : - not interested

Not an option for someone with terrible DIY skills like me

I don't know if it can be considered an OSW but that does not require any tinkering :

And it will cost me 400 euros less than the SC2 Sport which seems to be my best bet for the moment.

Do we have any fellow racers on simplicity?

How is the software? Games support?

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

no just Simucube.

I bought the wheel, it's in the post right now and should arrive for Friday, had quite a few emails with Tomo and the shifters can be replaced with Ascher ones if not to the users liking. The cost-saving seems to come from the reduced steps in finishing the surface of the button box with corner edge chamfers and the surface brushed effect seen on the similar Ascher bb. Tomo also said there is a saving from the reduced buttons and not having the two 'funky style' Fanatec joysticks. All in all, I think it should be a good product for sure and it's only for a limited batch. I personally don't mind about having fewer buttons if the designs is strong and sturdy.
It has exactly the same number of buttons (2) and encoders (2) as Ascher B16L-SC plate. Layout is exactly the same as well. Rim is unbranded Motamec (not premium), but plate alone seems to be very good and well worth the price.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 217114

I would just go Simucube 2. There's something going on with Fanatec. Can't lay my finger on it. It's a mix of stuff. Drivers that do not work nicely, DD's that break down, BME not always working, Covid, production issues, people complaining about their orders, etc. I think Fanatec DD's are sold too soon. To save yourself from stress, just go Simucube.

Upvote 0
^this and - at least to me important: I was very close to going the Fanatec-Route but as I'm getting older I'm more and more critical about vendor lock-ins. This is a lot more dominant in the Fanatec-Ecosystem than in the SC's.
To be fair: Maybe Fanatec DDs are sold too soon. But the SCs are not sold at all. I at least don't get one at the moment:)

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 217114

I would also not go for Fanatec at the moment. They got attack by spambots today. Something is heavily amiss out there. Last year they were hacked and user-info stolen. It's just one issues stacked upon one other issue. Quality control, Covid, bad drivers, non-working BMW etc. Something is going on there and it's not good for Fanatec, nor for the customers. I would stay clear away from Fanatec a while if buying new from their website. And see if they can tackle their issues.

Clubsport and below are just awesome products, but Podium.. I've my doubts. Still have that feeling they did release the Podium-series too soon.

Upvote 0
It has exactly the same number of buttons (2) and encoders (2) as Ascher B16L-SC plate. Layout is exactly the same as well. Rim is unbranded Motamec (not premium), but plate alone seems to be very good and well worth the price.
yep, took collection a few days the quality is very good, nicely finished and for a 'standard quality rim' it blows away anything I've had from Fanatec before (P1 rim & BMW rim) shame I don't have a Simucube yet to use it lol

Upvote 0
I think SC2 will be my final choice.

I Just decided to not order anything if I do not finish with my cockpit selection.
I will first conclude and order my cockpit and then proceed with the rest.

And while looking for rigs and waiting some final last replies from manufacturers I started investigating the Simplicity option.
Reviews and user feedback are quite limited but I think that SW20 Nm could be an option given the price difference with 17Nm SC2 Sport.
I just try to find things that justify this difference of 400 euros and thinking more and more that SW20 could be a good choice for someone who wants to make its first steps into DD world.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Another wireless wheel on the budget side :

How do you think this wheel stands in comparison to Tomo's one previously posted?

They have exactly the same price.
At least visually the build looks more on a budget side (e.g. plastic case), and wheel is not included.
Not saying it can't be robust, Ascher used to make button plates from machined hard plastic, I have one of those, super sturdy and light.
But comparing NSH vs what Tomo offering, I'd personally go for Tomo's wheel. Don't have experience with either, mind you.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Feedback for Tomo's wheel started flowing in. Very positive as it seems.

Upvote 0
I would just go Simucube 2. There's something going on with Fanatec. Can't lay my finger on it. It's a mix of stuff. Drivers that do not work nicely, DD's that break down, BME not always working, Covid, production issues, people complaining about their orders, etc. I think Fanatec DD's are sold too soon. To save yourself from stress, just go Simucube.
Granite Devices may be new in the sim world, but they established themselves producing servo control units and drivers. They know how to make a servo motor last and work, but are still learning the home user turf.

Fanatec does it the other way around, they got heaps of experience with customer service, care, product development of , in comparison, "toys" etc, but the actual DD unit and its control is new ground.

Based on this alone I'd know which I would trust in this particular case

Upvote 0
Had to make an account here but just wanted to respond to:

VRS Directforce Pro
-sent an email asking for the weight of the base as well as for the availability and had no response

Sorry if your email slipped through. We do our best to reply to everyone, and in general I thought we do, so I'm surprised to hear you didn't get a reply. In any case, The Mige Servo motor is about 11kg. Our controller box and all the mountings are quite light. If you need I can dig up the exact weight but they're probably less than 2 or 3 kg all together.

Edit: ah, I see you got my email based off the post on page 2. Sorry if the response was delayed. As you can imagine we were quite pummeled by the pandemic surge into sim racing, but we're on top of it now. Happy to try to answer any questions you guys have in this thread though I wasn't personally involved in design/production, just testing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Had to make an account here but just wanted to respond to:

VRS Directforce Pro

Sorry if your email slipped through. We do our best to reply to everyone, and in general I thought we do, so I'm surprised to hear you didn't get a reply. In any case, The Mige Servo motor is about 21kg. Our controller box and all the mountings are quite light. If you need I can dig up the exact weight but they're probably less than 2 or 3 kg all together.

Edit: ah, I see you got my email based off the post on page 2. Sorry if the response was delayed. As you can imagine we were quite pummeled by the pandemic surge into sim racing, but we're on top of it now. Happy to try to answer any questions you guys have in this thread though I wasn't personally involved in design/production, just testing.
Isn't Small Mige is like 11.5 kilos.

Upvote 0
I just bought an old 29nm OSW wheel complete with fanatec universal hub, gt alcantara wheel and fanatec usb conversion.. hoping it wasn't a bad decision heh. I've been on the waitlist for the VRS set for a while now, and my progress hasn't budged. VRS after a wheel button box etc will be around $1200-1400. If I can get a couple of years out of the OSW still I think it will be worth it.

Upvote 0
I just bought an old 29nm OSW wheel complete with fanatec universal hub, gt alcantara wheel and fanatec usb conversion.. hoping it wasn't a bad decision heh. I've been on the waitlist for the VRS set for a while now, and my progress hasn't budged. VRS after a wheel button box etc will be around $1200-1400. If I can get a couple of years out of the OSW still I think it will be worth it.

How much did you pay?
Honestly I don't think it was a bad idea at all.
Supposedly Simucube 1 will keep getting updates and was already quite a good wheel from what I've read.

Upvote 0
Well, its an older one that is pre simucube, pre everything I think. I probably jumped a little too early to grab it, but we'll see. It was $900 and comes with a mounting bracket,, fanatec universal hub, Alcantara GT wheel, quick release adapter and USB adapter for the fanatec wheels so all that can go to another wheel even VRS I think. Its an Argon based Dennis Reimer unit with 29nm Lenze motor 4096 per encoder, and I think it's at about the end of the road as far as updates go. Apparently new it was like $3500.. let's hope its worth approx 400-500 now and provides a good enough experience for a while.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back