DD wheels : so few options, such a difficulty to choose

I am about to buy a DD wheel and I passed quite some time searching about what the market has to offer.

I want to share my thoughts with the community hoping to get some feedback on the validity of my conclusions(at least the non subjective ones).
In plus, other members that are currently on the same boat may share their thoughts/findings on the matter.

Simagic M10 : - not interested

I didn’t like the reviews

OSW : - not interested

Not an option for someone with terrible DIY skills like me

Accuforce Pro V2 : -not interested

+good reviews

+good user feedback(especially for the software)

-stepping motor

-170 euros the shipping cost to Europe

-unknown custom fees as I had no reply from the custom office of the country I live

VRS Directforce Pro : - still considering as an option

+Barry’s statement : ‘I could be happy if this would be my only wheel’

+impressive feedback from rally drivers and visitors of SimRacing Expo

+200 euros cheaper than DD1 and SC2

-I will be an early adopter

-sent an email asking for the weight of the base as well as for the availability and had no response

-limited community of users to share experiences with

-unknown games support

-lost in the steering wheels options as I cannot identify which is the cheapest rim that will do the job*

Fanatec DD1 : - still considering as an option

+large community of users

+fanatec wheels ecosystem

+realtively cheaper than SC2 as the cost of a decent wheel is lower(a 300 euros BMW GT2 wheel can do the job*)

+available

+easy to sell if I ever decide to

-QR flex

-I don’t trust their quality control and their software

-I doubt if my GT Omega Art Cockpit can handle the 10kg of weight and the forces produced by the base**

Simucube 2 Sport : - still considering as an option

+seems to be the most reliable base

+seems to offer the best driving experience

+weights 2kg less than the DD1 and it may be manageable by my cockpit

-lost in the steering wheels options as I cannot identify which is the cheapest rim that will do the job*. I think that the minimum you need is 400 euros but again the price/quality ratio is not so clear as with Fanatec wheels.

-usb cable on the wheel(in my price range)

-unavailable

*I don’t want a fancy rim with an lcd display and many functions. I just want a wheel with a basic button box+basic paddle shifters. By ‘doing the job’ I mean finding a rim that can handle the FFB of the base with no flex. That's my only concern.

**during my research I realized that i will most probably ave to upgrade my cockpit. It will be good though to do the upgrade in 6 months time. I will be hapy if my current rig can serve me till then.

I was in the similar situation - I was choosing between SC2 Sport and DD1 and went for SC2 Sport. No regrets whatsoever. For me personally positives are:
+compact package (I think the base is around 7kg)
+True Drive
+ compact PSU
+very good build quality
+industrial design

If you have access to 3D printer and like to tinker it's not that difficult to build your own button box.
IMG_20200615_221239.jpg

Upvote 0
@Andrew_WOT : Thanks for pointing this one out. At this time I felt I needed a D-Shaped rim (again to have a smaller change coming from G29). Forgot to mention that.
Going for a formula-style rim will in any way be a real experiment. Never drove DD, never drove a formula-rim. Apart from the fact that I never drove LC pedals.
I expect to loose a few seconds before getting used to all of that stuff:)

Upvote 0
Manufacturers hide the weight of their rims like a holy secret
You have to dig to find this info(if any)

What could be the ideal weight of a rim+button box combination for a DD wheel?

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Seems like Tomo has some new budget friendly SC2 wheel to offer.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Simvibe lost its tactile battle to SimHub already. Once switched, you'll never go back.

Upvote 0
When I built my OSW in 2014 I was a bit envious of the fanatec wheel rims that were available. In the end I built a button box and attached a momo. I also bought a fanatec formula rim and converted it to use.

Six years ago prices were quite a bit different and while the fanatec has even a bigger selection of rims you could classify the ecosystem to be good or bad depending if you think it gives you options or locks you in.

Now I see them selling rims from 150 to 300 without any button box and wont work without the $200 adaptor, so 350 - 500 for a rim with no buttons.. There sure as heck were not any rims for $650 back then. I am not knocking it though, you dont have to pay it but it gives you options - as long as you are aware of the cost of the options. They have plenty of options around $400

Anyhow, point was something like the SC2 has a lot of options as well and many in the price range of what you would spend with fanatec. That wheel that Andrew just posted is probably one of the nicest in it's price range I have seen as well.

I think the SC2 is the best out of options posted, I wouldn't get the AF is SC2 is in your budget but AF is an option if SC2 was not in your budget.

Upvote 0
Seems like Tomo has some new budget friendly SC2 wheel to offer.
This is probably the cheapest wireless wheel out there and I really like it.
My concern is that I don’t know if it is sturdy enough to take full advantage of the SC2 capabilities.
I wasn’t able to find some reviews or users feedback.
Can’t also find anything about the weight of wheel(have to send an email)

All in all it may be a enough to handle the forces of an SC2 sport . The pro version was never an option for me.

Upvote 0
I would say all the wheels that are made for SC2 also can handle the forces it gives, you should not worry about that. The rim included is a Motamec, it weights quite close to 1000g.

This is a bit off topic here, but I've not given that much thought to wheel weights after I went DD. True, I get different feedback from a formula rim and my 350mm Motamec rally wheels, but the DD base has no problem getting the 350mm wheel to give good feedback too. I would definitely go for the wheel that you feel comfortable with, do not go with formula wheel only because of weight.

Upvote 0
Well — this thread has totally upended my plans to get the DD1 and GT3 R rim.

Thanks all those for the insights.

Am I right in thinking you can still use a Fanatec rim - but it must be wired via USB?

Yes, you can individually convert most Fanatec rims to have their own USB adapter and cable which involves removing the Fanatec pins from the hub.

There is also the option to have a wheelbase side converter which would allow you to connect unmodified Fanatec rims but this comes with a few caveats in that not all of rims are compatible and you'd also need a male QR from SIM Racing Bay which I'm not so sure is still available. If you want to go down this route, I'd contact Simon at SIM Racing Machines and he will lay out all the choices you'd have.

Upvote 0
This is probably the cheapest wireless wheel out there and I really like it.
My concern is that I don’t know if it is sturdy enough to take full advantage of the SC2 capabilities.
I wasn’t able to find some reviews or users feedback.
Can’t also find anything about the weight of wheel(have to send an email)

All in all it may be a enough to handle the forces of an SC2 sport . The pro version was never an option for me.

I guess that if it is positioned as a Simucube wheel, it can deal with the Sport. And with the Ultimate. SRB are not beginners and "Full metal...automotive aluminium" should not be a foil:) I would not have the slightest problem believing this works. I could guess that maybe the buttons and encoders are 2nd best but this really needs a review from someone who has the wheel in his hands as well as lots of experience.

Upvote 0
Yes, you can individually convert most Fanatec rims to have their own USB adapter and cable which involves removing the Fanatec pins from the hub.

There is also the option to have a wheelbase side converter which would allow you to connect unmodified Fanatec rims but this comes with a few caveats in that not all of rims are compatible and you'd also need a male QR from SIM Racing Bay which I'm not so sure is still available. If you want to go down this route, I'd contact Simon at SIM Racing Machines and he will lay out all the choices you'd have.

Thanks, Paul.

probably not worth the effort by the sounds of things.

All I really want is a decent set of magnetic shifters and a few buttons.

wouldn’t mind being pointed in the right direction of some good shifters

Upvote 0
Can this Tomo wheel be used as it is with the VRS Directforce Pro as well?
no just Simucube.

I bought the wheel, it's in the post right now and should arrive for Friday, had quite a few emails with Tomo and the shifters can be replaced with Ascher ones if not to the users liking. The cost-saving seems to come from the reduced steps in finishing the surface of the button box with corner edge chamfers and the surface brushed effect seen on the similar Ascher bb. Tomo also said there is a saving from the reduced buttons and not having the two 'funky style' Fanatec joysticks. All in all, I think it should be a good product for sure and it's only for a limited batch. I personally don't mind about having fewer buttons if the designs is strong and sturdy.

Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea