CPU Ugrade?

Sorry for resurrecting an old, (by internet time anyway), thread but I've been reading and have been totally invigorated to try out overclocking for myself.
I am running an i7 3770k with a GTX 1070 Game Rock by Palit
I was considering an 8700k upgrade with new board and ram but reading this thread filled me with the belief that I could get better without spending anything.
So I first started to OC the CPU. Got it up to 4.4Ghz with everything on standard. Then I upped to 4.5Ghz and got a crash. Raised the v-core slightly and have had a stable system ever since with improved performance across the board. Highest temps around 68 and ambient temp in my room is around 30 degrees C
Will be trying for 4.6 and if successful 4.7 in the near future.
Will give the GPU a go soon but it's standard turbo is giving mid 1900s at the moment which seems to be ok so far.
What motherboard are you running that 3770k on?
Some of the earlier motherboard/CPU combinations required the 'enable PCIe Gen3' hack to take advantage of that feature on videocards which support it out-of-the-box..
That hack gives an absolutely massive boost to games like RF2.
It does aid in the smoothness on AC and ACC, but not the outright framerate increase it does in the former title.
I too, keep 'talking' myself into either an 8700K or Ryzen 2700X... but every time I look at my gameplay smoothness and decide against it...even with VR.
I cannot seem to find a reason to update.
Those old S-B CPUs seem to be absolutely timeless if setup properly with other good components.
Below is the manual way to enable as posted by Iluv2raceit

These are instructions on how to enable PCI-E 3.0 using the REGEDIT function within the Microsoft Windows operating systems:

Step 1: Update your graphics drivers to the latest version (doesn't matter if you use the WHQL or beta version) and restart your computer.
Step 2: Download the latest version of GPU-Z:
Step 3: Run GPU-Z and verify that the “Graphics Bus interface” value shows PCI-E 2.0 for each card
Step 4: Disable SLI -or- Crossfire (if enabled). If SLI -or- Crossfire are not enabled, skip to Step 5
Step 5: Click on the Windows button (located on the lower left corner of the start bar)
Step 6: In the search index entry window, type in “Regedit” (the Registry Editor window will open)
Step 7: Select the following registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/Video
Step 8: Identify the correct registry folders for each of graphics cards you have installed. There will be one associated folder for each card installed. To identify the correct folder for each card, you will need to review the names of each folder within the “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/ CurrentControlSet/ Control/Video” registry directory. The folder associated with a graphics card will have three or more subfolders (depending on how many PCI-E slots available on the motherboard). The values listed for each subfolder will be 0000, 0001, 0002, 0003, 0004, and Video. Review only the subfolders labeled as "0000". You will know you have selected the correct "0000" subfolder when you see a registry labeled “DriverDesc” with a value that matches the graphics card you have installed. Example, the value in my “DriverDesc” registry value reads “NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1080”.
Step 9: Right click on the folder labeled “0000”. Select “New”, then select “DWORD (32-bit) Value“, then enter “RMPcieLinkSpeed” for the name of the registry.
Step 10: Right click the “RMPcieLinkSpeed” registry you just created, then select “Modify”, then enter “4” as the data value and verify that the “Hexadecimal” option is checked under “Base”, and then select “OK”.
Step 11: Repeat steps 9 and 10 for each graphics card associated folder (named “0000”)
Step 12: Once you have completed creating the RMPcieLinkSpeed registry for each card, close the Registry Editor window and restart your computer.
Step 13: Once your system is back into operating system environment, run GPU-Z and verify that the “Graphics Bus interface” value shows PCI-E 3.0 for each card.
PCI-E 3.0 is now fully enabled.

There's a million forums and Youtube videos you can watch for this stuff so you'll keep quite busy for a while if you're interested. Increasing the memory clock is as simple as moving the slider to +200 - 300 Mhz. Nealy all GPU's will handle an increase like that on the memory. I've always been able to get at least +400 out of any GPU I've owned in the last 5 years or so.

Problem for me is I have all monitoring and OC programs uninstalled as they interfere with Oculus Rift frame timing. Having them closed should be enough to bypass any ill effects but for now I'd rather they were completely absent from the system. I'm in the middle of testing after a fresh Windows install.

What motherboard are you running that 3770k on?
Some of the earlier motherboard/CPU combinations required the 'enable PCIe Gen3' hack to take advantage of that feature on videocards which support it out-of-the-box..
That hack gives an absolutely massive boost to games like RF2.
It does aid in the smoothness on AC and ACC, but not the outright framerate increase it does in the former title.
I too, keep 'talking' myself into either an 8700K or Ryzen 2700X... but every time I look at my gameplay smoothness and decide against it...even with VR.
I cannot seem to find a reason to update.
Those old S-B CPUs seem to be absolutely timeless if setup properly with other good components.
Below is the manual way to enable as posted by Iluv2raceit

These are instructions on how to enable PCI-E 3.0 using the REGEDIT function within the Microsoft Windows operating systems:

Step 1: Update your graphics drivers to the latest version (doesn't matter if you use the WHQL or beta version) and restart your computer.
Step 2: Download the latest version of GPU-Z:
Step 3: Run GPU-Z and verify that the “Graphics Bus interface” value shows PCI-E 2.0 for each card
Step 4: Disable SLI -or- Crossfire (if enabled). If SLI -or- Crossfire are not enabled, skip to Step 5
Step 5: Click on the Windows button (located on the lower left corner of the start bar)
Step 6: In the search index entry window, type in “Regedit” (the Registry Editor window will open)
Step 7: Select the following registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/Video
Step 8: Identify the correct registry folders for each of graphics cards you have installed. There will be one associated folder for each card installed. To identify the correct folder for each card, you will need to review the names of each folder within the “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/ CurrentControlSet/ Control/Video” registry directory. The folder associated with a graphics card will have three or more subfolders (depending on how many PCI-E slots available on the motherboard). The values listed for each subfolder will be 0000, 0001, 0002, 0003, 0004, and Video. Review only the subfolders labeled as "0000". You will know you have selected the correct "0000" subfolder when you see a registry labeled “DriverDesc” with a value that matches the graphics card you have installed. Example, the value in my “DriverDesc” registry value reads “NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1080”.
Step 9: Right click on the folder labeled “0000”. Select “New”, then select “DWORD (32-bit) Value“, then enter “RMPcieLinkSpeed” for the name of the registry.
Step 10: Right click the “RMPcieLinkSpeed” registry you just created, then select “Modify”, then enter “4” as the data value and verify that the “Hexadecimal” option is checked under “Base”, and then select “OK”.
Step 11: Repeat steps 9 and 10 for each graphics card associated folder (named “0000”)
Step 12: Once you have completed creating the RMPcieLinkSpeed registry for each card, close the Registry Editor window and restart your computer.
Step 13: Once your system is back into operating system environment, run GPU-Z and verify that the “Graphics Bus interface” value shows PCI-E 3.0 for each card.
PCI-E 3.0 is now fully enabled.
I used to run it on an Asus P8Z77-V Pro but it died on me a few months ago. I'm now running on an Asus P8Z77-V LX2 and the card appears to be running in PCI-E 3.0 but I'll have a check later to see.

I did have a quick fumble with Afterburner and managed to get it running at 2075 under 60 degrees with a +500 on memory and it didn't take much tweaking at all. Love it!

I used to run it on an Asus P8Z77-V Pro but it died on me a few months ago. I'm now running on an Asus P8Z77-V LX2 and the card appears to be running in PCI-E 3.0 but I'll have a check later to see.

I did have a quick fumble with Afterburner and managed to get it running at 2075 under 60 degrees with a +500 on memory and it didn't take much tweaking at all. Love it!
If you don't use the curved overclocking (ctrl + f) you might experience driver crashes or artifacts of your gpu boosts a lot higher when cold!
As written I've set my GPU to only 2000 MHz during gaming and got boost spikes of over 2150 MHz when starting battlefield 4 right after booting!

I'll have to have a good read of your posts on this GPU OC as after I'd oc'd I ran user benchmark and it stopped running before completing all the GPU tests with an issue with the plane run.

It wouldn't run the bench properly again even when I set back to defaults.
Got it sorted by running DDU to uninstall all the drivers and then reinstalled the newest nVidia drivers.

Restarting the PC should fix that after an instability crash. Done it a million times. OC'ing the CPU is way more work. I always curse when I (seldom) upgrade the CPU when I realise I need to OC it all over again. A weeks worth of overnight Prime95 stability runs are a pain when you wake up to a black screen. It's the best though when you get a clock you're happy with show up as you left it the night before.

Ivy bridge (which is what you have) could have issues in simracing (my experience is limited to AC) when you need more CPU power for AI and online racing. Basically, it might let you down when you need it the most compared to a 8700k. I came from 2600k at 4.6/4.7ghz. While it might look good in benchmarks, in actual usage you'd get drops and stutters at key times. This is much more jarring when you're in VR vs 2D screens so there's something to think about there.

With that said, your 1070 is basically like my 980ti you're at a state of good balance with your CPU and GPU. However, If you went to a 1080ti/2080ti or a 8700k/9900k one or another component would be out of balance.

In a way, you're maxed out on your current platform.

Last edited:
Restarting the PC should fix that after an instability crash. Done it a million times. OC'ing the CPU is way more work. I always curse when I (seldom) upgrade the CPU when I realise I need to OC it all over again. A weeks worth of overnight Prime95 stability runs are a pain when you wake up to a black screen. It's the best though when you get a clock you're happy with show up as you left it the night before.
Oh ok, a lot less messing around than removing and reinstalling drivers. Thanks for the tip.

Ivy bridge (which is what you have) could have issues in simracing (my experience is limited to AC) when you need more CPU power for AI and online racing. Basically, it might let you down when you need it the most compared to a 8700k. I came from 2600k at 4.6/4.7ghz. While it might look good in benchmarks, in actual usage you'd get drops and stutters at key times. This is much more jarring when you're in VR vs 2D screens so there's something to think about there.

With that said, your 1070 is basically like my 980ti you're at a state of good balance with your CPU and GPU. However, If you went to a 1080ti/2080ti or a 8700k/9900k one or another component would be out of balance.

In a way, you're maxed out on your current platform.

I'll test this over the next week or so. I tried AC last night with everything on max, and I did get stutters, so think I'll dial back the shadows and reflections and test again to see how the OC helps with AI.
I was thinking about an upgrade to 2070 but heard that ray tracing actually takes quite a lot of brute force to run at acceptable speeds. Plus, I'm only using a 1080p HDTV as my screen so no point in beefier cards right now.

But I was considering either an i7 8700k or i5 8600k but they're pretty hard to come by right now.

If you can wait a bit then the AMD 3000 series due sometime early next year ( I'm a bit worried it might be spring ) are looking extremely promising.

Not sure about going over to red...
I already have a 300 series Asrock motherboard that I picked up in the sales cheap so really looking for decent deal on Intel.

I think a Sandybridge is under the weather for a 1070 especially considering if you run games that get advantage from pci-e 3.0 , like rfactor2

I have Ivy Bridge, 3770k, I take it this comment wasn't for me?

Yep, 3rd gen Intel chipsets all support PCI-E 3.0. And even PCI-E 2.0 is basically fine for all other than ISImotor sims, which have unusually high PCI-E usage.
Guess there's no way to get PCI-E 3.0 with my sandy bridge I7 2600k?
Never really searched for it but after reading it again... I thought I'd ask :)

Never really searched for it but after reading it again... I thought I'd ask :)

Yeah I looked into it few years ago when I bought a used 3rd gen CPU. You need both the CPU and motherboard (chipset) to support it. So 3rd gen CPU paired with 2nd gen motherboard will only get you 2.0, same with 3rd gen motherboard paired with 2nd gen CPU.

@Durge.....I've got a SandyBridge-e (I7-3820) overclocked to 3.8 and it is running very well with a GTX1070. It is extremely smooth...even in ACC and especially RF2.
Go look at my Youtube channel to see what it's doing....even in VR at 1.5SS at high to max in most titles.

Probably not but I wouldn't worry too much about it. Whilst I can't find anything specifically about different racing sims, this article compares gaming with the different PCI Express versions: https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/pci-express-scaling-game-performance-analysis-review,1.html. Their conclusion is that there's very little difference in real-world performance between Gen 2.0 and Gen 3.0 slots. The article is a few years old but I can't find anything more recent.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back