CPU Ugrade?

Probably runs cooler because either:
- your room is cooler
- different acc settings
- your fans run higher now for some reason

To your gpu: you can't fry it. The gpu bios has inbuilt protections. Msi afterburner, voltage and power to the maximum (bios will restrict it internally), Temperature limit to 85° and then it gets tricky!
The 10xx have a quite detailed automatic overclock mapping written into the bios. It's temp, power, voltage and load dependent!

Here's a thread where I wrote a bit more about it in the second post:
https://www.racedepartment.com/thre...ter-explained-are-you-running-3d-mode.155508/

Probably runs cooler because either:
- your room is cooler
- different acc settings
- your fans run higher now for some reason

To your gpu: you can't fry it. The gpu bios has inbuilt protections. Msi afterburner, voltage and power to the maximum (bios will restrict it internally), Temperature limit to 85° and then it gets tricky!
The 10xx have a quite detailed automatic overclock mapping written into the bios. It's temp, power, voltage and load dependent!

Here's a thread where I wrote a bit more about it in the second post:
https://www.racedepartment.com/thre...ter-explained-are-you-running-3d-mode.155508/
Thanks for the info mate, very informative :thumbsup:
I found the reason for the cool running btw: the Gigabyte system fan monitor increases the fan speed automatically above a certain Temp, , and then turns it down again when the Temp. has dropped again. I only noticed it by chance, normally I don't have the Gigabyte software running during the game, I just check Temps etc in MSI Afterburner when I'm finished.
And I've never heard the fans going up and down, they're silent fans from Noctua, and I nearly always drive with headphones anyway, otherwise my wife starts shouting at me :D
The joys of being married ;) ( 33 years now )

Last edited:
Now for the GPU, but I need to get some more info on that one before I start adjusting any sliders in MSI Afterburner: it cost me €560 two months ago, and I don't want to fry it by doing something stupid..:(

I hear ya brother. Just like with CPUs, I always overclock my GPUs. :geek: lol
My GTX970 Strix clocks are 1253/1753 at stock, but currently are at 1423/2038... :D (and that's with just 3% more power limit and only 12mv increase in core voltage!!)

I can't help with specifics for your GTX1080, for that maybe it's better to point you to articles where it has been aproached:

But the process is usually the same, whatever the GPU.
It's also fairly safe. Like RasmusP already said, the gpu bios has inbuilt protections, exactly because of overclocking mistakes (though they can still happen!).

You'll need these tools:
And these benchmark apps, to stress-test (for stability and artifacts) and bench your GPU overclocks:
I would have to write a freakin huge wall of text just to do a basic guide, so I should look instead for videos to ilustrate (or guide you) better the procedures.

EDIT: these two vids are fairly easy to perceive.
First one is nice and compact, explains you the stuff in just a few minutes.
Second one is pretty good, better as a complete guide, being a lot more in-depth.

Last edited:
Then l'll save my money, and spend it on cocain and hookers instead
charlie-sheen-loved-cocaine-hookers-confessions-ecards-someecards.png

I hear ya brother. Just like with CPUs, I always overclock my GPUs. :geek: lol
My GTX970 Strix clocks are 1253/1753 at stock, but currently are at 1423/2038... :D (and that's with just 3% more power limit and only 12mv increase in core voltage!!)

I can't help with specifics for your GTX1080, for that maybe it's better to point you to articles where it has been aproached:

But the process is usually the same, whatever the GPU.
It's also fairly safe. Like RasmusP already said, the gpu bios has inbuilt protections, exactly because of overclocking mistakes (though they can still happen!).

You'll need these tools:
And these benchmark apps, to stress-test (for stability and artifacts) and bench your GPU overclocks:
I would have to write a freakin huge wall of text just to do a basic guide, so I should look instead for videos to ilustrate (or guide you) better the procedures.

EDIT: these two vids are fairly easy to perceive.
First one is nice and compact, explains you the stuff in just a few minutes.
Second one is pretty good, better as a complete guide, being a lot more in-depth.

Hey bud :) I tried over clocking my GPU last night, adhering to the good advice I've recieved here from you and Rasmus.P, amongst others. Thank you all :thumbsup:
Taking into account that my card ( an MSI GeForce GTX 1080 GamingX 8G ), has a 6% overclock from the factory anyway, I wasn't expecting miracles. I've enclosed a picture of how it looks in MSI Afterburner, after stress-testing with Valley Benchmark, and then a few laps in ACC.
I didn't touch the voltage settings, the only parameters that I changed were the Core Clock and the Memory Clock. I increased them both in 25Ghz steps, till Valley froze or was displaying artefacts, and then I reduced the clock by 25Ghz back down to the level where it was stable. The highest Temp. I ever saw during benching was 71°C, which is mega-healthy :thumbsup:
In ACC I sometimes have 72°C, which is still well under the 82°C limit that MSI sets by default. I think I'll leave it at that, I don't want to be too greedy :D

GPU Overclock.png

Hey bud :) I tried over clocking my GPU last night, adhering to the good advice I've recieved here from you and Rasmus.P, amongst others. Thank you all :thumbsup:
Taking into account that my card ( an MSI GeForce GTX 1080 GamingX 8G ), has a 6% overclock from the factory anyway, I wasn't expecting miracles. I've enclosed a picture of how it looks in MSI Afterburner, after stress-testing with Valley Benchmark, and then a few laps in ACC.
I didn't touch the voltage settings, the only parameters that I changed were the Core Clock and the Memory Clock. I increased them both in 25Ghz steps, till Valley froze or was displaying artefacts, and then I reduced the clock by 25Ghz back down to the level where it was stable. The highest Temp. I ever saw during benching was 71°C, which is mega-healthy :thumbsup:
In ACC I sometimes have 72°C, which is still well under the 82°C limit that MSI sets by default. I think I'll leave it at that, I don't want to be too greedy :D

View attachment 269852
Awesome :)
What's the highest clock it reaches and where does it settle in the end?
Msi 1080 should run at slightly above 2000 MHz.

Awesome :)
What's the highest clock it reaches and where does it settle in the end?
Msi 1080 should run at slightly above 2000 MHz.
The pic I posted shows how high I could get it to go it without freezing. I've enclosed a pic of
CPU-Z, it appears to show that it's up to 1948Mhz?, which is quite good, to say I haven't altered the Voltage or Fan Settings at all

GPU-Z.png

Why is the image so small ? Damn....:mad:
Go into the settings of msi afterburner and set the core clock to be displayed in the stats, do a benchmark with a cold system and then check the graph that gets drawn in afterburner. Way better than the momentary value of gpu z! :)
You should be able to reach 2 GHz without touching voltage or fan speeds. Mine is stable without it. Only in some games I switch the profile to some higher voltage as they cause the gpu driver to become unstable every now and then.
You might to lock the maximum clock speeds with the ctrl+f curve. If you don't the cars might go too high before it settles down.
For my msi 1070 this was the case. With just the slider my card went over 2100 MHz but still settled below 2000 MHz. I then went back to default and just raised the clock speeds linked to the "settlement voltage" while doing a stresstest. Every clock speed linked to higher voltages I then put to the same value so my card won't go any higher than that no matter what.

For some reason a cold card still goes 30 MHz higher than what I locked. Strange stuff :p

Go into the settings of msi afterburner and set the core clock to be displayed in the stats, do a benchmark with a cold system and then check the graph that gets drawn in afterburner. Way better than the momentary value of gpu z! :)
You should be able to reach 2 GHz without touching voltage or fan speeds. Mine is stable without it. Only in some games I switch the profile to some higher voltage as they cause the gpu driver to become unstable every now and then.
You might to lock the maximum clock speeds with the ctrl+f curve. If you don't the cars might go too high before it settles down.
For my msi 1070 this was the case. With just the slider my card went over 2100 MHz but still settled below 2000 MHz. I then went back to default and just raised the clock speeds linked to the "settlement voltage" while doing a stresstest. Every clock speed linked to higher voltages I then put to the same value so my card won't go any higher than that no matter what.

For some reason a cold card still goes 30 MHz higher than what I locked. Strange stuff :p

Thanks for another thing you've taught this old man :thumbsup: 2008Mhz, that'll do for me Woot, woot :D

2008 Mhz.png

Last edited:

If by 'cold' you are referring to the temperature of it before you play with it for any amount of time... that's gpu boost 3.0 for ya :p

While what you guys were saying above about max temps is true (to keep it below the thermal throttle point of 85C), Pascal is MUCH more temperature sensitive than any previous generation of gpu.

To go along with this point, Pascal has so many built-in protections, it's impossible to fry your card. One of these protections, is that the gpu will automatically lower it's clock speed by 13 MHz for every 8C higher temp you go above a specific temp in the mid 50's C. I cant remember the exact value this throttling takes place though. Basically, Pascal lowers its clock speed by 1 step (13 MHz) every 8C. Also, extrapolating out from this, it's why you need to increase your core speed by increments of 13 MHz when overclocking to see any result. Any other value, and you wont be moving up to the next clock speed step.

So when you first load up a game, and while your gpu is cool, it will be running at its max clock speed. Once you get into the low 70's, you will already be looking at 2-3 steps less max clock speed, which would equate to 26-39MHz off your max.

All that said, you can sort of override this throttling by using a voltage curve while overclocking. Though, when I have tried to do that, and everyone I had spoken to back when Pascal was new was getting very odd results with it. So I wouldnt recommend overclocking that way. On my gpu using normal offsets, it gets up to 2075 MHz during normal use, while using a voltage curve it is reading out at 2188 MHz during benchmarking, while having less performance. So, it's quite buggy in my experience.

These tiny little steps dont really impact performance much at all though, so it's a bit irrelevant to worry about. Neat bit of info to know though if you have been overclocking gpu's for a number of generations though :)

Thanks for the detailed info!
I agree with everything but not about the curve :p
The steps are fun... Locked the MHz for all voltage steps? Let's go 1-2 steps higher because the card is cold although it will show artefacts...:roflmao:

My room sometimes has only temps of about 19°C while my case is pretty bad and I hate noise so my card reaches temps of around 80°C.
If I don't use the curve for OC'ing, I will get huge variations, reaching from crashing drivers with a cold system to being in the need for changing graphic settings in some games where the magical vsync border is only barely held due to the downclocking (I need a new Monitor so badly..).

BTW how the curve is created changed with afterburner updates. One big thing is that if you grab the furthest right point and pull it down, every other point will get down to the same value so way less work! Just pull up the "settle point" and pull down the last point to the same value and tadaa, locked clockspeed (apart from GPU Boost 3.0 going crazy a few steps hehe).
I've never experienced anything strange though and I'm doing this since July 2016, right after release...

Thanks to @Steve D for pointing me towards this thread. I've been running a stock 6600k/980Ti combo for the past year which I've been more than happy with, mainly playing Assetto Corsa with 20-car grids in VR at high settings, 1.5SS and ASW forced. Recent developments with Ilja's shader mod is starting to stress my system during night races though, so I was seriously thinking of selling the current machine and spunking £2k on a brand new 8700k/1080Ti rig.

This thread has given me hope that none of that might be necessary..! :)

Heya @Mascot :)

@DucFreak thanks for posting that info over the past few pages. I'm well aware that the 6600K will suffice for pretty much all gaming applications for the time being. I own one, but I am also awaiting the arrival of my backer unit of the Pimax 5K+ (was 8K until I decided to downgrade it). Do you think that in a VR scenario, in sim racing, that the i7 variants would help to stabilise frame rates and perhaps even give a performance boost. I'd hazard a guess the when running AI the CPU is under much more stress than it would be either with no other cars on track, or actual other human drivers where the CPU doesn't have to account for the AI of those cars. I run a 1080Ti and that's going to stay with me for a while now so upgrading the GPU is really at a brick wall at the moment.

Curious to hear your opinion on the VR aspect of the CPU.

Sorry for resurrecting an old, (by internet time anyway), thread but I've been reading and have been totally invigorated to try out overclocking for myself.
I am running an i7 3770k with a GTX 1070 Game Rock by Palit
I was considering an 8700k upgrade with new board and ram but reading this thread filled me with the belief that I could get better without spending anything.
So I first started to OC the CPU. Got it up to 4.4Ghz with everything on standard. Then I upped to 4.5Ghz and got a crash. Raised the v-core slightly and have had a stable system ever since with improved performance across the board. Highest temps around 68 and ambient temp in my room is around 30 degrees C
Will be trying for 4.6 and if successful 4.7 in the near future.
Will give the GPU a go soon but it's standard turbo is giving mid 1900s at the moment which seems to be ok so far.

Your 1070 most likely won't get any more than maybe 20 - 30 Mhz on the core if you try to overclock it. The GPU's have a pretty good self overclocking profile that get most of what the silicon is capable of pretty much out of the box. For instance, my 1080Ti boosts to 1950Mhz on it's own given that it's kept cool enough. If I try to add anything to the core, I get maybe 30Mhz if I'm lucky and that's only if it's kept under 80C. Anything over that and it throttles itself. So you can see the effect of manually overclocking modern Nvidia GPU's can actually have an overall negative effect when thermals are taken into account.

Your card might differ, but after Nvidia introduced their GPU Boost tech, pretty much all the fun went out of overclocking graphics cards.

Your 1070 most likely won't get any more than maybe 20 - 30 Mhz on the core if you try to overclock it. The GPU's have a pretty good self overclocking profile that get most of what the silicon is capable of pretty much out of the box. For instance, my 1080Ti boosts to 1950Mhz on it's own given that it's kept cool enough. If I try to add anything to the core, I get maybe 30Mhz if I'm lucky and that's only if it's kept under 80C. Anything over that and it throttles itself. So you can see the effect of manually overclocking modern Nvidia GPU's can actually have an overall negative effect when thermals are taken into account.

Your card might differ, but after Nvidia introduced their GPU Boost tech, pretty much all the fun went out of overclocking graphics cards.
True but also a bit more complex!
I have a 1070 myself and it clocks at about 1970 MHz when freshly booted and goes down, depending on case temperature, gpu load (and therefore temperature) and power usage to 1790 MHz.
Mostly it will stick to around 1900 MHz though.

Now there are different things you can set in tools like MSI Afterburner to make the auto-boost work a little differently.
- Power Limit: Put it to maximum. The GPU Bios will only take what's coded into it as maximum. You might see an increase in MHz without any issues other than becoming a bit hotter!

- Temperature Limit: Default is 80°C afaik but the card will start to lower it's clockrate way before hitting this limit. A modern GPU has no problems with going up to 90°C though! Even 100°+ might not be a problem at all!
So I set it to 87°C just to be absolutely safe.

Now we've made sure that the auto-boost will not be restricted by power consumption (I guess every gaming PC has a 450+ W PSU?) and a stupidly low temperature limit.

You might see that your GPU now goes up to 2000+ MHz when cold but will lower it after a while quite a lot.
The problem now is that if you just raise the core clock generally, it will go up to a not-stable clockrate when freshly booted but will still go down, maybe even further because it becomes hotter, when gaming for a while.
So there's a "curve" now available.

I've cooked my GPU to ~80°C via MSI Kombustor, the core voltage settled nicely and so did the clockrate. I then raised the clockrate until I saw artifacts happening. These card don't really "crash". First the image will get screwed up.
This is your "gaming voltage and clock speed" you should aim for.
Then I've set the curve to hit this point but I've restricted the GPU from going higher when the voltage gets raised due to being cooler or anything.
I've also didn't touch the values for lower voltages as that may cause instability and isn't really relevant when gaming at around maximum GPU load (everything else isn't interesting when overclocking).

Looks like this for me:
upload_2018-11-9_13-39-5.png

If my 1070 gets utilized to more than let's say 75%, it will always stick to 2012 MHz (to be precise it somehow goes down to 2000 MHz because you can't really lock the auto-boost completely...).
It won't destabilize itself by clocking higher no matter what! (Yeah it goes up to 2048 MHz, again, auto-boost...).
I didn't touch the core voltage at all though! I have another profile where I did touch it and I can achieve artifacts-free 2100 Mhz but that's really not worth it...

But in the end these few MHz don't really matter performance wise. I just wanted to have 2000+ MHz all the time since I like it, lol.

The memory clock gives a way bigger performance boost! Mine runs at +577 MHz. That's around 5-12% performance boost!
So if you want to really see a performance boost, overclock the memory!

To close this: I've got the MSI gaming x which has a nice, but not the best cooler (only 2 slots though). I have a very very hot case. My 2600k at 4.4 GHz will hit 75°C during rendering with a Thermalright Le Grand Macho. Friend of mine got the same setup, different case, 62°C max...

My 1070 won't go above 82°C while the fan is locked at 55% max. Which only gives a slightly noticeable airflow-noise.

Last edited:
Any tips to overclocking memory?
I've only ever enabled XMP profile for the main system RAM but unsure how to go about memory on a GPU...
Must admit this is all extremely interesting and getting a real kick out of tweaking stuff

Any tips to overclocking memory?
I've only ever enabled XMP profile for the main system RAM but unsure how to go about memory on a GPU...
Must admit this is all extremely interesting and getting a real kick out of tweaking stuff
You download msi afterburner or similar tools (I can recommend msi afterburner though... from guru3D the latest non-beta) and then just raise the slider and hit apply.
With the 1070 you can go about +600 but it's a bit unstable with my card so I'm running +577 (it results in a nice number but it really doesn't matter...)!

Short video from me without speech but sadly stupid music, maybe it helps though.
Read the description!
And also read here:
https://www.racedepartment.com/thre...-are-you-running-3d-mode.155508/#post-2773743

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 62 29.4%
  • More leagues

Votes: 41 19.4%
  • Prizes

Votes: 43 20.4%
  • Trophies

Votes: 24 11.4%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 14 6.6%