CPU Ugrade?

Probably not but I wouldn't worry too much about it. Whilst I can't find anything specifically about different racing sims, this article compares gaming with the different PCI Express versions: https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/pci-express-scaling-game-performance-analysis-review,1.html. Their conclusion is that there's very little difference in real-world performance between Gen 2.0 and Gen 3.0 slots. The article is a few years old but I can't find anything more recent.
Thanks! :)
That what I came down to when I searched for it a few years ago! With rF2 being my main sim at the moment, it sparked my interest again. Damn isi engine :roflmao:

Their conclusion is that there's very little difference in real-world performance between Gen 2.0 and Gen 3.0 slots. The article is a few years old but I can't find anything more recent.
That is generally true, with pretty much one exception - rFactor 2. This sim has incredibly high PCIe bus usage (it's not hard to get to like 70+ percent of bus usage with rF2 on PCIe 2.0, while pretty much any other game keeps below 10 %) and apparently benefits quite a lot from PCIe 3.0.

I would certainly be interested in someone explaining why the PCIe bus usage is so ridiculously high with rF2.

That is generally true, with pretty much one exception - rFactor 2. This sim has incredibly high PCIe bus usage (it's not hard to get to like 70+ percent of bus usage with rF2 on PCIe 2.0, while pretty much any other game keeps below 10 %) and apparently benefits quite a lot from PCIe 3.0.

But 70% usage is still not swamping the bus so should not be limiting performance - you've still got 30% overhead to play with. Logically, you shouldn't see a performance hit until the bus usage reaches 100%. Other games are just under-utilising the bus.

And yet people apparently see significant performance gains in rF2 by switching to PCIe 3.0. One might suggest things are not as simple as "you shouldn't see a performance hit until the bus usage reaches 100 %". Because, let's face it, in real life scenarios, things rarely are this simple, and technologies don't always behave strictly "logically".

And yet people apparently see significant performance gains in rF2 by switching to PCIe 3.0. One might suggest things are not as simple as "you shouldn't see a performance hit until the bus usage reaches 100 %". Because, let's face it, in real life scenarios, things rarely are this simple, and technologies don't always behave strictly "logically".
I can certainly attest to that fact on RF2 with PCIe 3.0.
The result is night and day with it not running versus running.
I've never seen anything like it.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 100 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 132 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 180 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 354 27.9%
  • 100% offline racing