Community Question | Your Favourite Decade Of Formula One?

How difficult to chose an era. I remember my childhood watching Senna and Prost in the late 80s so I vote for the era without thinking more (for them). But I've mainly watch F1 during the 90s, which was impressive with huge technology improvements. As a sim racer, I've learned to respect all eras, but I admit the 70s and 80s cars, and the 90-91's cars became my favorite ones. They have some personnality, each one does its own thing, later cars seem to have the same personnality with different performances (I'm exagerating a bit, but you see my point).

The cool but deadly 70s cars, welcoming the ground effect era (amazing cars), in the late 70s and mid 80s, and after, the insane turbo era. Although the turjo era has ended, the beginning of the 90s still brought distinct cars with distinct personnalities.

I like the other 90s and 2ks eras, as These are the eras I remember the most, but it's different (in fact, among my first F1 sims were grand prix 2 and f1 challenge, these cars are still amazing), the general competition brought standardization.

Sim racing made me know the 60's and 70's eras and I must thank the developpers and the moding community there. These eras brought awsome cars, brutal, alive. Obviously only my childhood mande me chose an era because they are all great (I still need to discover more seriously the 30s and 50s cars).

I must agree with another comment, the GTs from the 90s were the best era for this category (maybe for the group C too, remember these incredible Peugeots?)

Anyway, thank you the sim racing community to allow us discover the F1 history. Reading and watching is one thing, experiencing (even at our humble level in our living room or office or bedroom) is the best way to understand this sport.

I admit the current era, and since the drs and kers things have been introduced, are not my cup of tea. I don't see the point of that. Well, the kers is ok, as it is something you could use whenever you wanted and which was the result of your car management. But the drs and its rules, no... These cars are beasts, fast and requiring more physical reistance to g forces than ever. But standardization and systems management are not my definition of racing. I enjoy racing on these cars in sims, but the qualities and talent they required (the real drivers are real champions, no doubt about this) are different than what I expect from those required by the racing I enjoy more (prost and senna's onboard videos are my thing).

But I enjoy that the sim racing community allow us to chose to race anything we want.

Defintely, the 80s, ground effect and turbo eras

Has to be the 2000's because that is the only time I seen them in the flesh, oh what a sound at the usgp. Go Schumi!!

Oh man I just found the most famous battle from when I was young.
I was fan of Rene Arnoux because he was kind of a rebel - hehe and his later teammate Allan Prost hated him because Arnoux wouldnt accept being treated as underdog.:roflmao:
Those were the days when I had hair on my head and the F1 cars were dangerous to drive :laugh:

Arnoux-Villeneuves battle Dijon 1979.jpg

The best has yet to come I hope...2020’s will be, because Max will win multiple world championships in that era beating the best the 2010’s had to offer (Lewis) and also beating the new generation drivers.

And now a serious answer... like the discussion about who is the best F1 driver ever... you can’t compare. Each era has its highs and its lows.

Going to go out on a limb here and say that the era you love is the era you grew up in or when you fell in love with F1 and/or racing in general.
Yes. Exactly why I voted 00s. Those cars are for me the real deal to look at. Mid 00s having the best looking cars with the meanest sounding engines.

My favorites are everything from the 80s up until the last year of modern V8s (2013). The super dominant MP4/4, the ear splitting 412 T2, the wild V10s and the wonderful V8s with the blown diffusers in 2011...

Last edited:
Even though I was born in Y2K and I only started watching F1 on TV near the early 2010s with the V8s, the F1 video games out there drove me into the world of the classics that were there the years before I was born

Have to go with the 1980s because I started watching in 1982 with my dad. The 90s are a close second. Everything after 2000 I don't care much about.

I was born in '76 and loved cars as a baby all the way through to, well now really.
I didn't have a decent father figure growing up so really had to figure things like sport out for myself. Never liked football but loved cars and started watching racing on TV. WRC, BTCC and F1. I started going to F1 races in my early twenties and then I went from seriously interested to completely addicted. Watching Hill and Schumy battling it out, watching Hakkinen coming up ready to challenge him too. I loved it.
Again, I can't really speak for the historic stuff prior as I was never in a position to have seen it.
I still loved F1 all the way through the 2000s, 2010s and now the 2020s have had a bit of a weird start but I'm sure I'll continue to love this sport until it ultimately changes too much to be something I enjoy.

I picked the 90's although I started watching F1 in 1981 (Mainly due to Alan Jones Success). I distinctly remember '92, '94 and 95 (ignoring the tragedy of '94). To a degree, excessive reliability and safety have somewhat neutered the sport for me.

I was watching an early 80's Williams documentary about the ground effect era. There were guys working on the cars with no tops on, a smoke hanging out of their mouths. Hilarious by comparison to today.

It's the early 80's to early 90's for me: Villeneuve, Lauda, Piquet, Prost, Senna, Mansell, and Bellof .... Ferrari, Lotus, McLaren, and Williams ... Ford DFV, TAG-Porsche, BMW, Honda, Renault ... and the last bow for a few unforgettable tracks (e.g., Ostereichring).

I picked 2010's because in 2010-2012 it had the closest racing of all time with tons of overtakes and surprising moments.

Have to admit the V10s and V12s have glorious sound but in motorsport for me its the only thing i really don't care about.

Getting close racing is the most essential in my opinion.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back